cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stabilizers lube

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using a dry lube but the threaded rods always have rust on them. Is there something better to use on them, I am in Texas so high humidity. Thanks Michael
20 REPLIES 20

Fireballsocal
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
For moving parts on trailers like stabilizers, I use chain lubricant in a spray can.

I also use chain lube, stuff that I always have on hand due to dirt bike riding. Most any of the brand name lubes work great but I have been using maxima chain wax, a paraffin based lube. It doesn't last as long nore protect as well so you might want to stick with something like PJ1 blue or regular maxima grease based lubes. The chain wax is easier to clean up and in my dry climate, lasts long enough for me.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
motorcycle chain lubes can work well. Many of them go on like a liquid and then set up as a stiff, dry grease which is almost impervious to washing off. Just be aware, they can work too good. I have two of mine that will not stay in place. The weight of the trailer actually pushes the screw and they unwind. I had to make keepers to hold then in place.

There is a product made for this problem.

Lock

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
motorcycle chain lubes can work well. Many of them go on like a liquid and then set up as a stiff, dry grease which is almost impervious to washing off. Just be aware, they can work too good. I have two of mine that will not stay in place. The weight of the trailer actually pushes the screw and they unwind. I had to make keepers to hold then in place.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
About the longest lasting "lube/protectant" that I have found in the under-vehicle environment is Fluid Film. You can get aerosal cans of it at Lowe's

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Aero Kroil with silicone
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I use a spray designed for garage doors, has worked for me for several years, it is a dry lube and hold up well here in the Fl. climate.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Community Alumni
Not applicable
SoundGuy wrote:

Not true at all. For years I've been using The Solution by Krown ... it's a Canadian company but this product is available in the US as well through Krown dealers. It's absolutely fantastic for use on the stabs or virtually anything else on your rig that moves & needs lubrication, without the mess of grease. :B

Fluid Film is the equivalent down here in the US. You can find it at Lowe's and NAPA. It works great on anything under the trailer. Krown and Fluid Film work their way down into the pores of the metal and won't wash off easily. Fluid Film lasts about a year before I have to reapply.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
It does not matter what I use, after a month on the road it is pretty much gone. I have used dry lube, grease and garage door lube, but one good day of towing in the rain and it is gone.

Now I carry a spray can of lube and spray the threads when we raise and lower them. Sometimes I will use grease but none of it lasts long.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
Hornnumb2 wrote:
I have been using a dry lube but the threaded rods always have rust on them. Is there something better to use on them, I am in Texas so high humidity. Thanks Michael

Howdy Hornnumb2. Since we are in the same region, run over to your closest Academy and get a can of CorosionX. This is a marine grade spray that does a wonderful job protecting metal components even in salt water environments. They have two types. The material in the red can has the same consistency as WD-40, but it is far superior and actually has a different purpose. Their other product in the green can is much thicker in consistency and actually adheres to the surface to which it is applied. That is the one I have used on our stabilizers on our 192RBS. Once a year application has stood me in good stead here in the Houston area.

My boat dealer put me on this stuff years ago when we were discussing my salt water fishing. I use the green can on my engine mounts for my 190hp V6 running my Tahoe. The stuff in the red can is great on electronics. Academy's web site should give you more info.
2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

westend
Explorer
Explorer
For a few years, I travelled on steel boats on oceans. Rust was an unforgiving enemy. I never found one product that would keep rust off, forever.

Heavy grease will abate the weather for a long time but will pick up dust and dirt on the road. Oils will penetrate steel and offer some protection. I haven't had good luck with dry lubricants.

For moving parts on trailers like stabilizers, I use chain lubricant in a spray can. It is easy to apply and seems to work good keeping the parts operating. The chain lube is sticky and will hold some dirt or dust but not enough to interfere with operation.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I've always used a product designed for slide gears from Protect All called Slide Out Dry Lube. It works great on my stabilizer worm gears and my slide rack& pinion gears.
https://www.amazon.com/Slide-Out-Dry-Lube-Protectant-Protect/dp/B001FCB1JG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=15...
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Blaster White Lithium Grease
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
and how is this product any differant than a dry type lube?

It's not a dry lube, it's a wet spray, but doesn't attract grit as does grease ... in fact, it's the same product Krown uses in bulk in their rust protection process. GREAT stuff! :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
sorry, double post.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch