cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spring adhesive for rubber?

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Is there an adhesive that would work for helping to secure a section of a horse mat to the overload spring or would something like Gorilla glue be as good as anything?
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04
36 REPLIES 36

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
With all the diseases going around I decided to make do with what I had so I cut down a couple hose clamps so I could get these things on my truck so I could load it up and use it..

Worked out just right for the needed space to engage the helper spring.

Thanks for the idea's..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
My OEM bump stops are 2-1/2" wide and 1/2" thick, they are wider and tapered on top to make it easy to push back up through OEM slot in bracket, these are off 13' F 350, the brackets and stops look identical (memory) to my 05'and 08'. The best I can measure the OEM slot w/out taking my T.L.'s off is 2 1/2" wide, and I measured my T.L. bolt @ 3/8", I put a 3/8" bolt in from top and have a small amount of play. I've transferred my TL's from truck to truck so I'm confident the OEM brackets haven't changed. Some deteriorated , but a phone call is all it takes to get new ones,lifetime guarantee means lifetime. Their such a great company they sent me a whole extra set for my troubles,beside the replacement set. ๐Ÿ™‚

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
On my GMC the rubber is bonded to the upper bracket , not mechanically attached . I did not want to destroy it . This way it is easily returned to stock , and cheaper ๐Ÿ™‚
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I donโ€™t understand why you attached to the leaf instead of the bump stop mount. What was the reasoning?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Another update . After about 5 years of use one of the ss band clamps developed a small wear hole . They are very thin . I tack welded a heavier gage piece of ss to the wear surface and have had no problem since . They are very easy to remove , just loosen the bolts and slide off the end of the spring . If you go this route measure carefully , the length of the band clamp is important also pe-bend the clamp at the corners around the block and spring so it can be tightened . Good luck with your project .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
This is a set I made a while back .https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25587998/srt/pd/pging/1/page/1.cfm

Thank you,I had no idea they even made plastic lumber...I'll check that out tomorrow when they open....That's just about the distance between the two in looking for also..

Well done..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
This is a set I made a while back .https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25587998/srt/pd/pging/1/page/1.cfm
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Bradw thread on the same subject..

Another way with an older Ford

That would be expensive for me.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
I think this is what your ford ones look like before installed.
click here

They do look exactly the same...I am a little hesitant to pull them without knowing the width of the slot they go in because my Ford is older than those here that have done it..When it ever quits snowing I will probably pull one out to see what will fit,if anything..

BradW had a thread on the same subject on his older Ford and he came up with a spring addon but later commented,back to the drawing board!...

All of which makes the cut horse mat added to the helper spring look simpler and less likely to turn expensive...
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
delete
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I think this is what your ford ones look like before installed.
click here
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
the ones I pointed out are not as tall as torque lift. and they have holes in the middle of them so they squish some when loaded, sort of acts like a cushion for when the bump stop kicks in. on my 6 ram they had a little big of clearance on an empty truck, but but any load on it and they started to kick in.

in fact here is a picture of the rear, unloaded. NOTE this pictures is one that was 10 years old, with 60,000 miles on it.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Bedlam
jaycocreek wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
towpro wrote:
these things are cheep enough to not need to try to glue anything. Put them on an 06 ram which I sold to my brother. 100,000 and still going strong.

Me, too. Soon to be 14 years on two trucks. 5 1/2 years on the current truck.

That would be great and oh so easy but my bump stops do not bolt on and it appears it would be easier just to cut them off..I am not sure of the slot diameter for a bolt and I fear trying to drill out the existing slot for the bump stop might be a bugger to do..

This is exactly how mine looks.(From another members post)..

Spray lube and a square shank screwdriver or pry bar will remove the stock pads the slot is wide enough to bolt in taller pads. If the pad you choose is oblong, you may want to use a counter rotation pin or bolt in the slot to keep it aligned.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocreek wrote:
So,if I cut that rubber stop off,the longish slot it went into is wide enough for a bolt like comes on the bolt bump stops?

Is hate to cut it off and find out different...

Yes, it's plenty wide.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member