Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spontaneous window shattering

Cyndi_K
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, fellow RVers!
I'm new to the site and am in need of some advice, please. Has anyone experienced a black out window just spontaneously cracking into a thousand pieces?
I just traded my 2017 Lance Model 1475 in on a 2019 Lance Model 2285 in July 2018. I had no problems with the black out windows in my last RV. But, sometime in less than 48 hours, one of the black out windows closest to the kitchen door shattered in place into a thousand pieces. It is in a secured, locked, fenced area with cameras. No foul play is suspected or shows on camera footage.
The black portion shattered and the clear window underneath stayed together. It was still hanging on the side of the RV when I arrived. But, as soon as I closed the door to leave to get something to cover it with, then entire window just fell right off the RV.
I've heard of car windshields and windows doing this and my RV is on warranty. Unable to get a warranty answer back from Lance yet after the dealer and I have attempted contact. It's snowing where I'm at and I'm afraid that my temporary garbage bag/duct tape repair won't keep water damage from occurring soon and I don't want to file an insurance claim since it would appear to be a warranty issue.
Does anyone have any experience with this happening to them? Particularly if they own a Lance? I'll need to file a timely insurance claim and I'm trying to get a replacement window pronto. But, all that doesn't seem to be happening as fast as Mother Nature is here in Park City, UT.
Any thoughts, suggestions, sharing would be most helpful and appreciated! I'm a single woman and sometimes I just can't perform the types of temporary repairs that a man is capable of. Hate to admit that, but there it is ...... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Thank you!
Cyndi
15 REPLIES 15

Cyndi_K
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, WAY TO GO LANCE and TERRY'S RV!!! They've both been AWESOME to deal with before and after purchase!!! I didn't have any warranty issues with my little 19' 2017 Lance Model 1475 and I had a wonderful time with it for 2 years. However, I was still a little worried to make the upgrade to a 27' 2019 Lance Model 2285. I'm glad that I did, though. I guess there's a reason to pay a little more up front for Lance, especially if you're a single chick who has to make it all happen. Thank you again to Lance, Terry's RV and to everyone who offered up ideas! I think I'm set now until the new window arrives. Happy Camping, Everyone! ๐Ÿ™‚

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Lance stepped up and that's a good thing!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Rather than tape to the wall right above the window, consider draping a tarp beginning a few feet onto the roof, with a few weights placed to hold it down and bungee cords. No tape residue
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Cyndi_K wrote:
2019 Lance. ... No foul play is suspected

Warranty, what's the problem?

Cyndi_K
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, All! Thank you so much for your advice and your posts! Lance has heard of this happening before and they're stepping up to cover the window replacement under warranty. Though it will take a couple of weeks to get a new window delivered, Terry's RV may even send a mobile repair man out to install it since the batteries are out and the RV has been put away in storage and isn't readily road worthy. Way to go Lance and Terry's RV!!!! Thank you so very much! What an odd occurrence ...... only the top black out sheet shattered & the clear glass remained intact. It appears to have occurred during the tempering process, which I guess happens.

Cyndi_K
Explorer
Explorer
Our TurnThePage friend is correct. It's in a locked, secured storage facility with another RV next to it protecting that window. No grass in sight and the parking lot doesn't get mowed, especially when it's snowing. ๐Ÿ˜‰ High, secure fence in a commercially zoned area. No signs whatsoever of how it could have happened. No point of impact. Instead, the window was bowed outwards (as though it exploded from pressure coming from the inside of the RV - crazy, I know - because, there's nothing airtight about an RV) and the force of the explosion popped a rivet right out of the frame, too. No prying, no scrapes, no signs of vandalism whatsoever. The black out window was the part that shattered. The second clear glass layer underneath remained intact, even after it fell right off the RV. So weird .... I see this happens to tempered glass and that it is generally a defect during the tempering process or during installation. Since only the black out glass broke, it would appear to be a tempering defect during the window making process. I googled the definition. Interesting reading and such a bizarre occurrence. Thank you, All!

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Who mows in the snow? C'mon now. Also it sounds like it's in a storage facility. I haven't seen one around here that has grass.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
eHoefler wrote:
Most likely a rock was thrown at it from a mower.

This is feasible. One time, my daughter was over, visiting her Mother while I was out mowing the grass. The mower threw a rock up and it shattered one of her door windows. She was not best pleased.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Be careful that the tape doesn't damage the paint when you remove it.

Lance doesn't paint their walls.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most likely a rock was thrown at it from a mower.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Acrylic sheet and Gorilla tape would probably be better than a garbage bag and duct tape. Acrylic sheet is sold at the big box stores and a smile might get your piece cut to size. Around here, a hardware store does that type of thing but they charge a few bucks to cut.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Cyndi_K
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, lucky me! Thank you All for your input! It is most appreciated!

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
You are not the first on here to report that happening on a TT. Although doesnโ€™t seem to be a frequent thing.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
I would doubt the the warranty covers glass breakage. Even a tiny rock chip and changing temperatures can cause tempered glass to shatter. I would see what a replacement sheet is going to cost, it might be less than your deductible. In the interim, covering the opening with tape and plastic is about all you can do. Be careful that the tape doesn't damage the paint when you remove it.