cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solved - Propane Troubleshooting

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
About 2 years ago my Propane Auto-Changeover system started howling while propane was in use. So my mobile RV tech switched it and the pigtails out.

However since then, the system has been highly unreliable. Usually with not switching from the empty tank to the full one. I've spent a few not-enjoyable very cold early mornings making a manual switch.

I was changing out a partially empty tank yesterday and just wasn't able to get it to start feeding into the system. So there's likely a problem right at the tank connection (e.g. after opening the valve a couple of times, then unscrewing the pigtail from the tank, there's no pressure release or smell of LPG).

Any ideas or suggestions on what to try for troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Chris

++++++++++++++

Update 8/12/18

Didn't get a chance to work on it more until today. After fussing with the existing hardware for another 30 minutes, I went to the only likely source of a two stage auto changeover regulator open in town on a Sunday (Ace Hardware) and bought a Mr Heater brand unit and 2 new pigtails. In for an inch; in for a mile.

As soon as I had everything fully assembled, the system fired up as expected. Tested both the stove and water heater.

I could have saved a few $$$ (and bought a possibly better brand) if I could wait, but that would have translated to some sleepless nights knowing our upcoming trip is a dry camping one.

Happy wife, happy (camping) life!
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package
7 REPLIES 7

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
What regulator? I recommend Cavagna brand (amazon).

At this point I flagged the Marsh Excel as a possibility. Definitely trying to avoid Camco this time around.

Best regards,
Chris

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
What regulator? I recommend Cavagna brand (amazon).

And yes open the valves very slow to avoid possibly activating the excess flow safety device until you get this figured out.

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I switch mine manually too. I like to know where I am with gas usage. Running out completely is way more stressful than running outside to change it to the other tank. Good policy to never open ANY valve quickly. Been opening valves a long time in my career, I always go slow.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
" tip-over detection " :H

No such device

Concern with carrying a 'vertical style' propane cylinder on it's side has to do with relief valve. When on it's side and IF relief valve should open LIQUID propane could be released. Liquid propane will 'burn' skin (extreme cold damage)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input - I've assumed one problem can be opening too quickly, so I always do it painfully slowly. I've also worried that any sort of tip-over detection could be an issue based on carrying and placing the tank, so I try to wait that out as well.

I'll play some more this weekend and may just order a new valve.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF propane cylinder service valves (OPD) are opened to quickly the 'Excess Flow Device' INSIDE the ACME Green Nut of the pigtail WILL close off limiting the flow of propane

IF the ACME Green Nut on pigtail is NOT screwed on tight the spring loaded shut off valve in the OPD Service valve will not open and allow propane to flow
(Open the service valve w/o pigtail connected and no propane will flow)

THe OPD can prevent liquid propane flow INTO the cylinder but will NOT stop propane vapor flow OUT of cylinder

Auto changeover sounds like the pilot valve is not swapping from side to side
New changeover as they are not serviceable
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
All new tanks have the new valves. They can be finiky if not opened slowly. I have found auto regulators are not friendly at best. One time running out of gas on a Saturday night 70 miles from the nearest propane station was enough for me. I always manually switch when I get a gas smell. New two stage regulators are not expensive and easy to change. You dont need to pay to do it unless your all thumbs.