cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Soaring Eagle Campers?

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Anybody heard of Soaring Eagle Campers? I stumbled across them at a dealer in Adamsburg PA and they look like they're just the ticket for these guys that come in looking for something basic for their 1/2 ton trucks.

I found the OV-X model particularly cool. It's a popup "topper" not a full camper. Sits on the bed rails. I imagine it's pretty light. The 5'5" model for your modern crew cab grocery getter says 750lbs dry weight, leaving plenty of room in a 1/2 ton for "stuff."

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.
11 REPLIES 11

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that there is rv'ing and camping and an infinite number of points on the line btwn the 2. I find myself on the camping end of the spectrum in that I bring everything I need to camp outdoors. Others bring everything they need so they can have their home on wheels. Of course I'm not as old as many of you so as the the years roll on I may not be physically able to continue w a minimalist style.

I'm probably going from a fully equipped Class B back to a four wheel camper shell model w nothing but a bed, solar, and batteries. Everything else I can bring as needed for a particular trip. My hesitation is my wife prefers more amenities, such as a shower, toilet, and sink w running water that I can easily do w/out or substitute a temporary solution. For instance in warm weather we might try to camp near a hot spring, stream or lake so we can swim, stay in a motel every few nights or pay for a shower.

This is well said. I have had 2 previous non slide Lances. They both were nice but overkill for my needs. I camp and like to hike and chase birds. A lighter minimally equipped camper is more suitable for me.
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
cptqueeg wrote:
Until you have to climb in and out of one w a buzz on!

Maybe so, but if you mount the rooftop tent on the bed rails, they are probably about the same difficulty getting in/out.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh406 wrote:
I've never heard of them. I think a hardshell rooftop tent would be a better idea.

Until you have to climb in and out of one w a buzz on!
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've never heard of them. I think a hardshell rooftop tent would be a better idea.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've come to the conclusion that there is rv'ing and camping and an infinite number of points on the line btwn the 2. I find myself on the camping end of the spectrum in that I bring everything I need to camp outdoors. Others bring everything they need so they can have their home on wheels. Of course I'm not as old as many of you so as the the years roll on I may not be physically able to continue w a minimalist style.

I'm probably going from a fully equipped Class B back to a four wheel camper shell model w nothing but a bed, solar, and batteries. Everything else I can bring as needed for a particular trip. My hesitation is my wife prefers more amenities, such as a shower, toilet, and sink w running water that I can easily do w/out or substitute a temporary solution. For instance in warm weather we might try to camp near a hot spring, stream or lake so we can swim, stay in a motel every few nights or pay for a shower.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The real reason these little campers are gaining popularity is more and more people want to pretend they are โ€œoverlandingโ€. That recent internet sensation.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
3 tons wrote:
Consider that the former super-sized Eagle Cap is now outta production, leaving the market segment to Hostโ€ฆInflation (diminished buying power) has resulted in a market shift to more minimalist, less costly entry level campersโ€ฆJMOโ€ฆEither way, โ€œSoaring Eagleโ€™ is an interesting choice of names!!

3 tons

Eagle cap is totally out of business. As of 2022. So itโ€™s not inflation. 2020-2022 was a rv mfgs wet dream. Why they discontinued the Eagle Cap models, who knows. Publicly it says to concentrate on Scouts and Adventurers.
Regarding the big triple slides that you referenced. They are such a minute fraction of the TC market, theyโ€™re almost not worth mentioning. They are useless to all but a select few TCers who have trucks that are wholly impractical as daily drivers. Thus negating a large part of the advantage of a TC, which is use your truck daily and haul the camper.
You donโ€™t see guys with their F550 work trucks hauling them on the weekends. Itโ€™s generally only the folks who set up the whole expensive package with a big hauler to go under their Mammoth camper.
Yes the truck is still more useful than a Super C (the closest comparison ) so thereโ€™s that. But itโ€™s just an unpopular combination and very expensive for what it is.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Consider that the former super-sized Eagle Cap is now outta production, leaving the market segment to Hostโ€ฆInflation (diminished buying power) has resulted in a market shift to more minimalist, less costly entry level campersโ€ฆJMOโ€ฆEither way, โ€œSoaring Eagleโ€™ is an interesting choice of names!!

3 tons

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
There certainly is a market for these small popup and non popup campers these days. I wonder what the reasoning is? I would think of course the first would be monetary, even though they can be very pricy they are not as pricy as the triple slides. The trucks to haul them can be tiny in comparison and of course price, upkeep and fuel factor into that. I actually think it might be the generation that has gone back to the city. I grew up in NYC and can tell you without a days bus ride or a car there was no getting out of the city. But a small Toyota and a tiny popup would certainly be an option I would think. A wham bam thank you mam kind of thing. Load it on Thursday night and Friday after work your gone to the country and the more solar the better for this non plug in generation, Maybe? Perhaps it's the disposable generation that plays into this as well. Of course I don't mean to literally dispose of the camper, I mean that young professionals have money and can upgrade when a kid or two comes along. Is it the feeling of the outdoorsman type of thing but with heat/AC, hot food, TV, cell phones, tablets, warm comfy blankets, etc... It's interesting to watch the shift in the market at my age because I would never consider anything like that, ever. That was not meant to be snarky! This is just an opinion and thinking out loud....

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/10-best-truck-campers-for-the-toyota-tundra-half-ton-pickup/

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/weekly-blog/soaring-eagle-campers-manufacturers-response/

https://soaringeaglecampers.com/

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
Yes i have and am anxious to look at the ADLAR 6.5XL. The nearest dealer is 100 + miles from me. The little lady and i have looked at SCOUT campers near us and she does not like the minimalist concept. I looked at the way we travel and camp and honestly believe these are perfect for us. She does not like the open potty idea. We have had 2 Lances over the years and have never once used the showers. We cook outside frequently and tend to go to campgrounds occasionally just to use their shower. We have also used gyms and Truck stops.
The Soaring Eagles look well built and are surprisingly inexpensive for the quality they seem to have. I have watched every video there is on youtube and am impressed.
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like a four wheel camper knock off.