cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So called Destination trailers

Mary1
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone travel with these destination trailers rather than parking long term? Most have a patio door which I really like. They have other names depends which dealer you are looking at. We don't like staying at one spot this is my reason for asking. We own a Royals International now but will be selling it
22 REPLIES 22

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
Yep you are 100% right.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
parcany wrote:
Ok Back in 2011 Jayco made Destination trailers. They were called Destination trailers. They also made the Jayco Bungalow sold as a travel trailer. Jayco quit making the destination trailer because they were not selling like Jayco thought they would. No I was not referring to the trailer as park models. I do know the difference. I just know what Jayco did. Don't really know how other brands are classified. If you go on the Jayco web site and find the Bungalow it will say it is a travel trailer.

As I tried to say earlier..... There does not seem to be a "standard" as to what the terms Destination or Park mean anymore.

To say that none of them are meant to be towed, doesn't jibe with the way some are equipped.
Holding tanks, Propane tanks and a CC # are all items that would NOT be needed in a trailer that was not meant to be used as a traditional TT.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
Ok Back in 2011 Jayco made Destination trailers. They were called Destination trailers. They also made the Jayco Bungalow sold as a travel trailer. Jayco quit making the destination trailer because they were not selling like Jayco thought they would. No I was not referring to the trailer as park models. I do know the difference. I just know what Jayco did. Don't really know how other brands are classified. If you go on the Jayco web site and find the Bungalow it will say it is a travel trailer.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
The definitions appear to have evolved over time, and I believe they will continue to do so. At present each manufacturer seems to be building and defining Park, destination trailers as they wish.

I believe that the newer diesel trucks with their massive tow rating increases made for a TT market that did not previously exist.

I have been seriously considering such a trailer for a few years as my next TT.

I presently have two bathrooms in my Sabre, and do not want to give that up. Such models are pretty rare in a standard TT, but pretty common in the larger Park, etc. trailers.

I had previously noted the small CC many had, but that appears to be increasing with the latest builds.

At this time, I am leaning towards a large 5th Toyhauler, but the so called Park/Destination trailers do appeal to me.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Rubber_Ducky1
Explorer
Explorer
parcany wrote:
Jayco used to make a destination trailer but stopped years back. The Bungalow is a travel trailer. We owned a 2011. The difference is that a travel trailer have a black tank---a grey tank-- a fresh water tank. The destination trailer doesn't have any tanks. They were made to sit on a lot.

My 2014 Wildwood Lodge 394FKDS is classified as a destination trailer. It does have black and gray water holding tanks. It also has a travel trailer type roof. A PARK model trailer does NOT have holding tanks. A park model trailer has a pitched and usually a shingled roof. Go to Forest River Inc. website and you'll see that they manufacture both destination and park trailers

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
parcany wrote:
Jayco used to make a destination trailer but stopped years back. The Bungalow is a travel trailer. We owned a 2011. The difference is that a travel trailer have a black tank---a grey tank-- a fresh water tank. The destination trailer doesn't have any tanks. They were made to sit on a lot.

I don't know about in the past, but today's Destination Trailers are large Travel Trailers with holding tanks. They are designed to mainly stay on a site, but can be towed.

I believe what you are calling a Destination Trailer are now called Park Models. They have no holding tanks. They are like mini-mobile homes.

-Michael

Bingo

lexxiem
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has tanks fresh, grey and black tanks and its a 2016

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
parcany wrote:

I don't know about in the past, but today's Destination Trailers are large Travel Trailers with holding tanks. They are designed to mainly stay on a site, but can be towed.

I believe what you are calling a Destination Trailer are now called Park Models. They have no holding tanks. They are like mini-mobile homes.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
lexxiem wrote:
I have a Keystone Residence Destination 39fden, couldn't image towing that. Just alone that thing would suck alot of gas. When looking for a seasonal site to put it on. Was a pain because of it length.
Its a nice trailer though.
That is exactly what destination trailers were designed for. Will probably put one on my seasonal lot. If I was to tow large I would take a 5th wheel.

lexxiem
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Keystone Residence Destination 39fden, couldn't image towing that. Just alone that thing would suck alot of gas. When looking for a seasonal site to put it on. Was a pain because of it length.
Its a nice trailer though.

parcany
Explorer
Explorer

Rubber_Ducky1
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
I wonder how they got that trailer to look out right on the water like that considering the hitch is under those windows... bit of misleading advertisement?

You can get a detachable hitch on destination trailers. We have a 2014 Wildwood Lodge 394FKDS.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have a hard time fitting a beast like those into most Ontario parks. We struggle with ours and it's only 34'.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
I wonder how they got that trailer to look out right on the water like that considering the hitch is under those windows... bit of misleading advertisement?

I pull into a site at a campground we frequent and I park so If I had front windows I would have that same view. So it can be done if your careful!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!