cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide out to non slide

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone gone from a slide out TC to non slide and if so what are your thoughts and any regrets?
I just sold a nice Arctic Fox 990 with full wall slide and generator. I was impressed with the quality and comfort but I tend to travel more and only spend a short time in a location.
The slide gives a lot of room when parked but as quick as it is to open the slide out at rest stops and pulling into a spot to spend the night when traveling, it was more of a hassle then just opening the door and climbing in. Also, have to consider being level and possibly opening the slide into an obstruction.
Iโ€™m also thinking a better battery/solar system over the generator is a better option. I have a Honda 2000 if needed.
I love the convenience of a TC and the fact I have a 4x4 Diesel truck to drive makes it so versatile.
Iโ€™m now looking at an Arctic Fox 865 which is similar to the 990 minus the slide and generator. It will probably be about 500 lb less, 7โ€ shorter and a better C/G. It still has the quality and amenities of the 990 with a little less space when the slide is out, less tank capacity and no gen.
I also like the cabinet storage above the dinette with the non slide.
There is also the consideration about structural integrity and moving parts on the slide, less space to heat/cool and dust/water intrusion.
What are your thoughts and experiences?
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
19 REPLIES 19

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Wife and I have always thought highly of the 865. Pretty sure we'd choose it over the 990's. On top of the issues you brought up, the 865 is more open, brighter, better view from the inside which is what draws us to it. Been filed away in our minds for future possibilities for sure.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Trailer not truck camper but we have made the switch (long story, not sure we would do it again)

Assuming you aren't overloading the truck, I can't buy the effort to open the slide being a serious consideration.

How long does it actually take to look as you are walking from the cab to the back to make sure it isn't going to hit a tree and then 20-30 seconds to push the button.

Can you access the fridge, bathroom and bed with the slide in?

Only real positive side we've found is it takes hardly anything to heat. Down to the low 30's, a 1500w space heater does the trick with the furnace never kicking on.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife and I along with two cats were fulltimers for a couple of years in a non-slide Northstar Igloo. There is absolutely no way I would want a slide.

Without a slide there is no setup or takedown time. I don't need to open a slide to have full use of the camper. I can park anywhere and stay the night. Over the years this have included staying on the street in front of friends and relative's houses, lots of crowded Walmart or other similar parking lots.

We have done our share of "stealth" camping where being as inconspicuous as possible is a benefit when not annoying the neighborhood. Very often it is legal to sleep in your vehicle, but cops might give you a hard time if the neighbors complain. Be respectful, don't take up parking spots in short supply, and you are very likely to be ignored. At least that has worked for us on many, many occasions when visiting friends, relatives in urban/suburban areas.

Not having a slide saves considerable weight, reduces possibly for leaks and repairs. In many campers the slide adds to aisle space but little else. Some campers cannot be used fully without deploying the slide(s). When doing long drives, I like to stop for a rest which typically would include using the toilet, washing hands/face, cooking a decent meal and taking a quick nap.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yah, I've been full time for last 6+ yrss now and if I were to do it over again, I'd get the single side, no slide...
You get used to the space and instead of 3 steps to the kitchen/bath it'd be 2 steps..
I like the extra room but when moving around it's just another step to set up and close..
So, I'd go with the single/no slide if I had to do it over again.. and solar is great on a sunny day but your Honda 2000i will cover the rainy/cloudy days..
I had 2 separate times and they were nice....
and just an FYI, my slide pin broke so it was stuck open.. the shaft is under the rear bench seat. but that was just recently and an easy fix if you know what it is... and able to find and knock out the pin to put in a new one...

fun eh??? Happy Trails..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
The only regret we have had with our Lance 845 is that we did not get at least one slide to open up the kitchen/table area. I was very concerned about overloading the truck under it, but as well as we have got along, I think a single slide would of been fine. It is usually just my wife and I, but we did take a 7 year old grandson on one long cross country trip. If I was traveling alone, a slide probably would not be necessary.
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs