Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we buy a Ford 5th Wheel Hitch?

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

We have an F250 on order and are thinking about a 5th wheel. It should be about 15.5K loaded (16.8K max gross weight). The Ford F250 has the eight foot box and the 5th wheel prep.

Would you buy the Ford hitch (18K rating) or another 5th wheel hitch?

Thanks,

Crespro
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K
31 REPLIES 31

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Crespro wrote:
Hello again,

We have talked this over and can see that you should have a dually diesel for a 41 foot fifth wheel. There is a strong possibility that there will be growth in the weight of the pin.

So, we like the F250 with the 7.3 and will keep our order. In August we will select a 35 foot fifth wheel or a 38 foot TT. Both are well within the capability of our F250.

Thanks,

Crespro

You actually know just enough to be dangerous. (Not that I think it’s inherently dangerous if you know what your doing)
How much towing have you done previously? Uhaul trailers don’t count....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Crespro wrote:
Hello again,

We have talked this over and can see that you should have a dually diesel for a 41 foot fifth wheel. There is a strong possibility that there will be growth in the weight of the pin.

So, we like the F250 with the 7.3 and will keep our order. In August we will select a 35 foot fifth wheel or a 38 foot TT. Both are well within the capability of our F250.

Thanks,

Crespro

You are correct, and thats a wise decision.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JIMNLIN wrote:
.....the load can be distributed to keep the trucks rear axles weights in spec. You can't do that with a fixed hitch load like a rv trailer.

All ya gotta do is put momma in the back of the RV to ballast out that there pin weight....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
IdaD wrote:
The real lesson here is not to specify too much detail on the truck or the actual question will get ignored as the weight police take over the thread.

True dat!

But the real fun is listening to people who don't really know what they're talking about advising those that have asked a question because they really don't know what to do, just to get a taste of their own medicine when the guy who really doesn't have the knowledge or experience somehow gets real smart and tells the first group how it's gonna be.

On the upside, I had no idea Ford raised their towing specs to 20k for the new gasser. Impressive tow rating until the first ride UP the mountain! LOL

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone that wants to purchase a new truck and a mid to larger 5th wheel should look right past the 250/2500's and get at least a 350/3500 SRW offering.

We towed our 16K 5th wheel with a 2015 RAM 4X4 CC SB SRW Laramie, and made our numbers. A 250/2500 would be way over.

One of the questions I normally ask, is do you plan on a washer/dryer in a front closet and do you plan for a generator. Both of these options add a lot of extra weight to the pin.

The other thing with SRW 350/3500 trucks in look a 5th wheel with a dry pin weight on the light side. Our Bighorn 3575el(39'4" long) has a 2435 dry weight. If you start with one that has a 3000 lbs range, your will be hard pressed to meet the RGAWR.

OP, has changed his trailer plans and is staying with the F250. Which is a mistake in my book.

Motor on! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Your not talking to a bunch of newbs here so listen to what their telling you.

First off tow rating are for all types of trailers. So sure trailer types like a flatdeck trailer or stock trailer......the load can be distributed to keep the trucks rear axles weights in spec. You can't do that with a fixed hitch load like a rv trailer.

Second issue is your guestimating is way off. The F250 has a 6340 rawr....which is the lessor of a tire/wheel or rear spring pack. The newer gen 3/4 ton trucks rear axle can weigh in the 3000-3200 lb range which leaves your F250 with 3100-3200 lb in the bed payload. Now subtract around 200 lbs for a hitch and mounting kit......100 lbs of necessary junk ....and don't forget passengers weight in the trucks cab.

On a 15.5k lb 5th wheel trailer once its fully loaded you can expect 3500+ lbs loads on the trucks rear axles.....maybe more depending on how its loaded or what your carrying.

Your safety numbers will be not exceeding a tire/wheel or spring pack rating.

GCWR ?? The F250 will handle whatever Ford says.

Which 5th wheel hitch ??
Your call there. I would go with what Ford offers. Lots of satisfied users out here.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
The real lesson here is not to specify too much detail on the truck or the actual question will get ignored as the weight police take over the thread.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Crespro wrote:

The UVW spec is 6,500# for the 7.3, eight foot bed and our options. The gross is 10,000#, producing a payload of 3,500#. The RAWR is 6,340# and initial pin weight is 2,800#. With growth to 3,100# pin weight, DW and I, we should be about 15.5K on the 19K, 22K on the 26K and about 6K on the 6.34K axle ratings. We can store any extras in the RV.

Many years ago I was in Detroit and had friends who were Ford engineers. The Ford engineers create the 19K and 26K specification with unpublished but real safety margins. My numbers show added safety margins over theirs (about 3K or 4K under the towing and GCVR numbers). I understand safety and these two margins are sufficient.

So is the intent to follow the specs or not?
- If you are going to override the specs, there really is no point in this discussion...and people do this, so you wouldn't be the first (older trucks it really just was a different set of leaf springs between 3/4 and 1 ton SRW. newer trucks it depends on brand)
- If you are going to follow the specs, you are still likely over on payload with 3100lb pin weight + 200lb hitch + people + after market add-ons to the truck + any other cargo.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
Hello again,

Thanks,

Crespro

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Crespro wrote:
Hello Folks,

I appreciate the thoughts of those who suggest we should all follow the proper specs and the statement that the Ford is a Reese hitch. Let me share our specs and then I will return to the 5th wheel hitch question.

We had a 40DP from 2005 until 2017, so some of our user specs come from that experience. We traveled with the 40 DP in all 48 lower states, but now plan to stay mostly on the California coast in our favorite RV parks. So a towable makes sense.

The Solitude we looked at Saturday passes the Kitchen, Living Room, Bath and One-Half, Bedroom, and Décor Specs.

The tow vehicle must pass both the Ford and the user specs. The current Super Duty Towing Guide on the Ford website shows 19,000# 5th wheel towing capacity for the 7.3 with 4.30 axle. The F250 truck manual shows 26,000# for the GCWR. The UVW spec is 6,500# for the 7.3, eight foot bed and our options. The gross is 10,000#, producing a payload of 3,500#. The RAWR is 6,340# and initial pin weight is 2,800#. With growth to 3,100# pin weight, DW and I, we should be about 15.5K on the 19K, 22K on the 26K and about 6K on the 6.34K axle ratings. We can store any extras in the RV.

The 40DP had four air bags for suspension and that has created an expectation. We hope the 4x2 front axle IFS and two airbags on the rear axle will produce a compliant ride spec. A 4WD or F350 will fail the desired ride spec. 😞

Many years ago I was in Detroit and had friends who were Ford engineers. The Ford engineers create the 19K and 26K specification with unpublished but real safety margins. My numbers show added safety margins over theirs (about 3K or 4K under the towing and GCVR numbers). I understand safety and these two margins are sufficient.

Thanks for everyone who responded. The Ford website does not offer any details other than the 18K rating on the Reese hitch. Knowing Ford, I suspect this is derated from a higher level.

Thanks for replying,

Crespro

Nice choice on the Solitude 373FB.
We have looked at them also, brochure dry is 13,950# and dry pin is 2,800# that is just over 20% pin. If loaded to 15,500# 20% is 3,100# so you are adding 1,500# to a 41’ 5er. Asked on the floor plan most of that added weight will be forward of the axles, so
20% will likely become 22% or greater. So 22% of 15,500# is 3,410# good by payload, and getting close to rear axle with hitch. Yes get the B&W 18K puck hitch.
Ride?? The only Pickup that might ride close to the DP with bags is a Ram 3500 4x2 with rear air suspension.
Let us know what the yellow payload sticker states when you new truck arrives. Based on the desired ride I assume the truck is a lariat or above, the 7.3 will save some weight, and seems to be capable for 16k. Likely will make some noise climbing hills.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

DelawareDead
Explorer
Explorer
That's a lot of pin weight on a F250!

I have the B&W from the factory and love it!!
Rich
2016 FR Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8288WSA
2017 F-350 6.7L Lariat Longbed

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
Rich1961 wrote:
Crespro wrote:
Hello,

We have an F250 on order and are thinking about a 5th wheel. It should be about 15.5K loaded (16.8K max gross weight). The Ford F250 has the eight foot box and the 5th wheel prep.

Would you buy the Ford hitch (18K rating) or another 5th wheel hitch?

Thanks,

Crespro

Crespro,

Are you aware of the drivers license requirement for 5th Wheels over 15k GVWR in California? Just asking as most aren't aware, and most dealers don't or won't tell you.

Rich

Thanks. I will contact DMV for the test. It seems both the 15K 5th wheel and 10K TT drivers need this.

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Folks,

I appreciate the thoughts of those who suggest we should all follow the proper specs and the statement that the Ford is a Reese hitch. Let me share our specs and then I will return to the 5th wheel hitch question.

We had a 40DP from 2005 until 2017, so some of our user specs come from that experience. We traveled with the 40 DP in all 48 lower states, but now plan to stay mostly on the California coast in our favorite RV parks. So a towable makes sense.

The Solitude we looked at Saturday passes the Kitchen, Living Room, Bath and One-Half, Bedroom, and Décor Specs.

The tow vehicle must pass both the Ford and the user specs. The current Super Duty Towing Guide on the Ford website shows 19,000# 5th wheel towing capacity for the 7.3 with 4.30 axle. The F250 truck manual shows 26,000# for the GCWR. The UVW spec is 6,500# for the 7.3, eight foot bed and our options. The gross is 10,000#, producing a payload of 3,500#. The RAWR is 6,340# and initial pin weight is 2,800#. With growth to 3,100# pin weight, DW and I, we should be about 15.5K on the 19K, 22K on the 26K and about 6K on the 6.34K axle ratings. We can store any extras in the RV.

The 40DP had four air bags for suspension and that has created an expectation. We hope the 4x2 front axle IFS and two airbags on the rear axle will produce a compliant ride spec. A 4WD or F350 will fail the desired ride spec. 😞

Thanks for everyone who responded. The Ford website does not offer any details other than the 18K rating on the Reese hitch. Knowing Ford, I suspect this is derated from a higher level.

Thanks for replying,

Crespro

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
Crespro wrote:
I appreciate the caution and have researched this quite a bit. It is rated for 19.2K on towing a 5th wheel, has 26K GCWR, 3.6K payload and scored 94.5 points on the IKE. It meets the weight specs. The Ford engineers are right on this truck.

At 16.8k loaded, assuming 20% hitch weight (lower end of recommended percentages), that's 3360lb hitch weight. Add in a 200lb hitch and you used your full 3600lb payload before putting anything else in the truck.

People, firewood, gas jugs, running boards, etc...all count against your payload.

If it's nearer to the upper end of 25% you will be way over with an empty truck.

Not saying it will be a death trap but if you can change the order, why not fix the issue now when it's simple and cheap.

X2!
Depending on tires and empty (unloaded ready to camp) scaled rear axle weigh you might need better tires.
Keep in mind that 3.6K payload is for a base model XL, so if it has any option packages , like the 5er perp, that number starts going down.
I think you will be first surprised at the payload on the yellow sticker, and the greater reduction once you scale ready to tow..
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"