cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Be Concerned?

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm currently updating items on my Springdale Travel Trailer, mostly outside items for now. The trailer is parked in front of my property, with the road being about 15 feet from the front of the trailer. Anyways I was working on installing a new 7 way cable on the nose and noticed several fresh cigarette butts in the area. I dont smoke, sooooo im thinking somebody was there maybe checking it out?? I dont have any locks on it, so should i be concerned?
22 REPLIES 22

lovemountains
Explorer
Explorer
We sold our TT and truck several years ago, and we really miss camping. When we brought the TT home from storage, we would drive the truck into the garage leaving space on the right, and unhitch just outside of garage door. When we closed the garage door at night, that made it pretty difficult for anyone to tow away! It was also easier to load the TT because the entrance to our kitchen in our home was on the right hand side.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
guidry wrote:
First I’d put a game camera up, a lock on the TT and put some of those cigarette butts in a zip lock baggie using plastic gloves.

Like so you can finish smokin whats left of them later, or to go all Texas Cajun CSI on them?

Don't you ever watch this guy?

The baggie and gloves are so the DNA does not get contaminated.
If you're gonna smoke used butts, you get those from Urinals, they're just a little bit hard to light up.

Actually, I don't watch that guy and don't know who he is.

I know you may have been kidding. But, if you weren't you don't think the police are going to do a DNA test over a stolen trailer do you ? Heck, I've never even seen any of our local cops even think of doing a fingerprint. lol

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
guidry wrote:
First I’d put a game camera up, a lock on the TT and put some of those cigarette butts in a zip lock baggie using plastic gloves.

Like so you can finish smokin whats left of them later, or to go all Texas Cajun CSI on them?

Don't you ever watch this guy?

The baggie and gloves are so the DNA does not get contaminated.
If you're gonna smoke used butts, you get those from Urinals, they're just a little bit hard to light up.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
guidry wrote:

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
doughboy wrote:
just let the air out of the tires!!!
problem solved

And tires ruined.
NOT a good idea.

Having the whole thing stolen might be the least of your worries.
Somebody might decide to throw a party in it and/or stay the night.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Set up a target next to the TT with a nicely placed shot group. Maybe they will get the idea that stealing from you is not a good idea. My neighbor and I both have target ranges in the back yard along with a pair of large dog bowls by the door. The dog is inside when we are gone and he sounds bigger than he actually is.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

doughboy
Explorer
Explorer
just let the air out of the tires!!!
problem solved
Larry, Lisa, and a dog named "Pepperjack"
2000 Excursion,Toreador red,diesel
2013 cruiser, viewfinder,
Waitin for my ship to come in

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Got a couple of jack stands? Remove the wheels from one side.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the quick replies. Last week I started with the cable disassembly and didn't notice anything unusall. No, nobody's in it, I installed a new water pump as well and nothing amiss there. I bought a coupler lock, just another item on the to do list. I do have a video security system, but where the trailer is parked I am not able to see anything and that's the only spot for it to fit. Oh well, if it's gone one day at least my insurance is good to go... Thanks everybody.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Surprised you have to ask an online forum if you should be concerned.

If some unknown individual was hanging around my property, long enough to smoke two or more cigarettes, I would definitely be concerned, regardless if I had an RV or not.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
A Ring doorbell cam or security cam will alert you on you cell phone and save a recording to their “cloud” of any motion events within reach of the camera. Then you can view and save any video evidence for LE is if necessary.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

guidry
Explorer
Explorer

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe someone is staying in it.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe put a coupler lock on the trailer? They are easy to use. That won't stop a professional thief, but it will stop an amateur who has spent a long time smoking near the trailer while trying to work up the courage to steal it. 😉
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."