cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping for First RV: Travel Trailer choices - HELP!

PikeyGypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie to RV; newbie to forum.

Shopping for a TT for extended living/potential full-time.

1. SIZE - I'm a loner so my first question is going to be size. All my research suggests that people usually buy too big instead of too small. I don't want to feel claustrophobic, but I don't want rig size to limit my ability to boondock and get in and out of national parks and such. I've been looking at 28-footers like the Freedom Express 248RBS and 246RKS. I don't have a tow vehicle yet either, and would love to be able to only need a F150.

2. BRAND - I've researched the top TT brands and, for whatever reason, have been drawn to Coachmen and, specifically, the Freedom Express line. Confused by whether I'd need a four season or non-ultralight/lightweight. I would avoid cold or extreme heat anyway. The most confusing thing has been big manufacturers like Coachmen who have so many product lines and models.

Can anyone tell me the difference, for example, between the Freedom Express and Apex Ultra-Lite? Did anyone recently shop both and choose one over the other for a significant reason?

The product lines just in one company alone are overwhelming. I've started to look at Dutchmen and also other Forest River products, but even within Coachmen I end up confused.

Any replies are appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
In order for a TT of the same size as another to be an Ultra Light there has to be reductions in weight. Where are they reducing weight? Is it thinner walls, thinner frame, smaller tires, thinner interior components, etc?
Here's 3 different brands with the same floor plan and all three have different weight ratings and capacities.
http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/timber-ridge-240RKS/
http://northwoodmfg.com/snow-river/snow-river-246rks/
http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=199&ShowParent=1&ModelID=1281#Main
And the Freedom Express Light.
http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=60&ModelID=243#Main

Compare all the weights and see how they're all made and then decide which ones would be better for long term camping.

PikeyGypsy
Explorer
Explorer
OutdoorPhotographer wrote:
I'm going to second three things.

2. Don't buy an ultra lite if you are making longer trips or potentially full timing.

From one outdoor photog to another, thanks for your reply. As one who advised against an ultra-lite, but didn't give reasons why, I would appreciate it if you might expound on your admonishment. I will indeed be making longer trips and I do hope to spend 8-9 months a year in the RV. If you have the time, I'd love to know what potential problems an UL present. I really am into the 2016 Keystone Premier 22RBPR and the Freedom Express 246RKS style "high-end" ultra-lites.

PikeyGypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to those who have taken the time to reply. I appreciate the food for thought. That said, some responses contain definitive opinion without explanation. For example, at least two posts said something to the effect of "don't buy an ultra-lite", but neither specified why. Is it because they are not 4 season? As I said, I would avoid heat and cold extremes. Is it because they are unpleasant to tow due to wind/turbulence/passing trucks? Is it because they are more difficult to climate control? Is it because they are not as durable? ??? But, I do like definitive statements! Like "stay in the 24-28 foot" range.

The replies have also illustrated the variances in perspective from one to another. A washer and dryer? Do people really have those instead of visiting the occasional laundromat? Books? It's 2016 ... Kindle/iPad/iBooks ... I am a backpacker and world traveler and am used to traveling light. I live a very simple life.

To narrow down my lifestyle ... I need little in the way of clothing or possessions. I would travel alone, except for having a couple buddies join me for a week or two once a year. I only need my laptop, my camera gear and my guitar. Space will not be an issue.

Interesting comments about buying used first. I've always been a buy new kind of guy and, tbh, I am a bit creeped out by buying a used RV. I am looking for an RV show, but I think this is the wrong time of the year as I plan to buy within the next few months to get out of Illinois before the brutal winter. However, there is one in Indianapolis September 23-25 that I will plan to attend. I know renting would be great. However, AFAIK, most rental places only offer motor homes, not TTs. Plus, I would be buying a tow vehicle at or just before the same time. I can't tow anything right now.

A couple of other questions come to mind ... The models I have been interested in have a full size 60 x 80 queen bed. Can I replace the mattress with the queen mattress I use in my home? I also prefer the rear living floor plans where there are a couple of armchairs/recliners. Would it be a problem to toss these and put my nice leather Lazy Boy and a parrot cage in the space? How much customization do any of you do to the interior/floorplan?

Thanks again.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Make a list of all of the things that you cannot do without. There has to be room for those things.
My husband and I can get by with a small TV but I have to have books.
How many people have to come with you? Do you need a King bed? Do not think that making up the table into a bed is a good idea but people do it.
Is there room for summer and winter clothes or will you only need summer clothes. Some people have to have a washer and dryer. Do you?

Go on and on there are lots of things you must plan for ahead of time.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to second three things.

1. Go to an RV show and spend a day. Don't focus on brands. Walk the floor plans and you will get an idea what you like. Then you can look at floorplans online as a more informed consumer.

2. Don't buy an ultra lite if you are making longer trips or potentially full timing.

3. Buy used, at least for your first TT.

Also, I think you should at least consider an F-250. It doesn't need to be diesel for what you are looking to do but will give you more flexibility on tongue weight when choosing a TT
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer is only as good as the assemblers make it. I bought a Light weight trailer and have had trouble with shoddy work during assembly. Take a close look behind the drawers when you pull them out. I've toured new trailers where the doors didn't fit properly. Most trailer designs have decent components but in the speed of assembly they get screwed up. Look beyond brand and check quality of assembly.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Take your best guess at what you think you want, rent that or a similar unit to see if you like pulling that size barn down the road and living in it for a week or so.

You learn a lot in a short period of time.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

danoren
Explorer
Explorer
Go to few RV shows,enter the TT's you like , ask questions narrow it down to 2-3 TT's , then ask owners about each one before you make the move.
F-350 ,2006,XLT,SD,LB,EC,6.0LT,Auto,SRW.
5W Cruiser 2006 CF29CK Crossroad
RVing 4-5 months every summer since 2002.
P.A,Escapee club memeber,TomTom Go 5606
Website

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
You will a dozen different opinions...each 'brand' has good & bad units depending on the Quality Assurance inspections and the worker. I have a Forest River product and have been happy with it. If I was in your shoes I would buy used, have it inspected by an independent RV Tech and stay in the 24-28' range. I will never buy another 'ultra-lite' again. And with that size and today's F150s you should be able to find something used and within the weights you need.

Good luck and just be cautious of too good a deal!
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!