cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shopping for a new TV

VCRT
Explorer
Explorer
This will be a mixed use vehicle,business and personal. We tow our 6000# (loaded, and with about a 900# tongue weight) TT about once a month on average and we plan to go out west one time in the next year or two. Towing and payload capacity are important as is stability and braking, but since most of the time it will be used as a daily driver, gas mpg. is also a consideration.
We've been looking at both half and 3/4 ton Fords and Chevy Silverado's and would like to get some personal input from others on this forum.
Our current 02 Silverado 1500 combined with the trailer weighs a little over 12000# and is getting maxed out. We've already replaced the rear differential twice because it's overloaded at the rear.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rich
27 REPLIES 27

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
VCRT wrote:
sgfrye wrote:

18 mpg is not towing, towing is 8 to 9 mpg..
my 2000 f150 5.4 got 15 to 16mpg not towing, 6 mpg towing.

Yes, I realize you're giving two different scenarios, towing and not, but 18 mpg. is the realm of a half ton with a 5ish liter engine isn't it? With an added 1300# of curb weight a bigger engine and a 4.10 rear, I don't see anyone can get 18mpg. That's why I asked how you do it.
Rich

my rear end is 3.73 interstate speeds not towing won't be 18mpg but 55 to 60 on 55mph roads is averaging 18 my wife commutes 2 hours a day round trip to on this type of road and has been driving the truck couple weeks back to back. mileage was at 18mpg she has a light right foot also which helps.

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at the new Nissan Titan XD,s? My XD has payload of 1950lbs, tongue weight at or lil above 1200. Would pull your TT very nicely. Mine is diesel version and I believe the gas versions payloads are rated more. Most comfortable truck I have ever ridden in. At least worth a look and test drive. The weight of the truck makes for excellent pulling experience and has excellent brakes, equal or better than most 3/4 tons.

Shal36
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 3/4 ton to replace my Avalanche. A property equipped 1500 would have worked for our current camper but went with the larger truck thinking we would get into a bigger trailer or 5th wheel. Weโ€™ve put plans to get a bigger trailer on permanent hold and I really wish I had the smaller truck. Iโ€™m sure lots of guys prefer the larger truck as a daily driver, and I think the GM 2500HD is a solid truck, but donโ€™t get one unless you need one.

Santa_Fe
Explorer
Explorer
Go for the biggest truck you can afford...you won't regret it. Any truck will be just as comfortable as the next for a daily driver, 3/4 or 1/2 ton.
TV: 2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab
5.7L HEMI V8
4x4

TT: 2016 Keystone RV Springdale 260LE

Have Yorkie, will travel.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
A trip to the CAT scales will give you accurate figures on your axel loads.

Some folks like an extra margin between TV ratings and load. Others do not mind towing near the limit.

Over loading will certainly increase wear and tear.

You can do all the calculations you want but the scales tell you what your load is. Even the scale numbers will change depending on how you loaded for each trip.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye wrote:

VCRT wrote:
Yes, I realize you're giving two different scenarios, towing and not, but 18 mpg. is the realm of a half ton with a 5ish liter engine isn't it? With an added 1300# of curb weight a bigger engine and a 4.10 rear, I don't see anyone can get 18mpg. That's why I asked how you do it.

I've been towing since 2006 with GM's ubiquitous 5.3L coupled to a 3.42 axle ratio in an '06 Silvy and '05 Avalanche, each running the older wide ratio 4-speed transmission, and now with a '12 Silvy running the newer narrow ratio 6-speed. ALL easily achieve 22 miles to the US gallon on the highway, not towing, during the summer, winter slightly less. Move to a 3/4 ton and it may tow more capably but it sure won't get anywhere near this mileage the rest of the time, when not towing. If you want an all 'round daily use truck that can periodically tow a trailer weighing up to ~ 6000 lbs and expect decent mileage when not towing stick to a 1/2 ton. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The 17 6.2 may do a little better than my 13. While under ideal conditions, and 55 mph I doubt I'd average 18mpg empty. My realistic average on hi-way speeds of 60-65 would be 15-16. Mine is a SC 250 with 6.2 3.73. I do average 8+ towing my FW at 60-62, with best case, not average, 10 mpg.

Jerry

VCRT
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye wrote:

Rich

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
VCRT wrote:
Lots of good input here, thanks for all the replies.
A few observations.
sgfrye, if you are able to get mpg results in the "18 mpg range" I would really like to know how you're doing it because everywhere else I've looked, forum posters are talking 12, maybe 13 mpg.

KD4UPL, Yes, I weighed the truck, rear axle is at 3900 lbs.That was with our camping gear, hitched up and a 1/4 tank of gas. So, it probably goes a little higher. I do plan on lightening up on the rear of the new truck by about 200# by eliminating my steel bed slider. It's a nice feature I installed years ago to bring the cargo to me, but I'm planning other ways of dealing with that that won't add all that weight. The max trailering pkg. on the 1500 gives a GAWR rear of 4300# which will work.

westend, yes, I calculated about the same difference in fuel costs for the 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton and I can think of better uses for $1000.00 every year than giving it to the filling stations.

Just to put it out there, the max trailering pkg. on the latest Silverados offers max trailer weight of 11,700# and the GCWR is 17,700. Both figures are for the 6.2L w/3.42 axle and 5.3L w/3.73 axle.

I guess you can see I'm leaning toward the 1/2 ton with the package I described.

Thanks,
Rich

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
VCRT wrote:
A few observations.
sgfrye, if you are able to get mpg results in the "18 mpg range" I would really like to know how you're doing it because everywhere else I've looked, forum posters are talking 12, maybe 13 mpg.

KD4UPL, Yes, I weighed the truck, rear axle is at 3900 lbs.That was with our camping gear, hitched up and a 1/4 tank of gas. So, it probably goes a little higher. I do plan on lightening up on the rear of the new truck by about 200# by eliminating my steel bed slider. It's a nice feature I installed years ago to bring the cargo to me, but I'm planning other ways of dealing with that that won't add all that weight. The max trailering pkg. on the 1500 gives a GAWR rear of 4300# which will work.

westend, yes, I calculated about the same difference in fuel costs for the 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton and I can think of better uses for $1000.00 every year than giving it to the filling stations.

Just to put it out there, the max trailering pkg. on the latest Silverados offers max trailer weight of 11,700# and the GCWR is 17,700. Both figures are for the 6.2L w/3.42 axle and 5.3L w/3.73 axle.

I guess you can see I'm leaning toward the 1/2 ton with the package I described.

Thanks,
Rich

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
Get a 2500.. 1500 will be too small over the long road. If you intend to stay on flat ground it may be OK, but if you ever intend to traverse mountains you will need the 2500 and a bigger engine. If you don't care about safety 1500 may be suitable but you can do anything if you want to , but if you want to do it right get the 2500 bigger brakes, bigger engine , bigger rear, bigger suspension and so on.Dont let salesman and advertising hype fool you.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
I'd look for as much payload as you can get and pay attention to the axle ratio, 'cause even with a 6 spd or 8 spd a 3.73 axle will still be far more capable when it comes to towing than say a 3.21.

afidel wrote:
AFAIK you can't get the 8 speed with 3.73 RA, 8 speed max tow is 3.42, you can get the 6 speed with the 3.73 ...

Don't know, don't care :R - my point was to pay attention to axle ratio so you don't get stuck with one that's completely unsuitable for towing, 3.21 (or even 3.08) being an example regardless of transmission configuration.

Said it before, any trailer up to ~ 6000 lbs loaded & ready to camp pretty well any of today's properly equipped 1/2 ton trucks will handle just fine, no HD trailering package needed. It's only once the trailer goes well beyond this that one needs to start thinking about HD packages or 3/4 tons, which a lot of us want to avoid in what is otherwise a daily driver used perhaps just 10% for towing and the rest of the time for every day use.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

VCRT
Explorer
Explorer
A few observations.

Thanks,
Rich

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like a lot of folks (on this Forum, at least) are looking for a tow vehicle that serves additional purpose besides just towing. With the price of today's vehicles, it makes sense.

I see that it boils down to a few choices.
On the financial side, a decision has to be made as to a budget, future plans, garage space (might be an issue for those in an HOA) or need to build, insurance costs/licensing, future ROI, and, barely, fuel costs. More on fuel costs later.
On the operational side, comfort and driveability, towing capability, future plans for truck.

To aid the decision, I think fuel costs can be eliminated. Most folks only tow for a few weeks, at most, throughout the year. The small difference in loss of MPG over that time is negligible. The total miles driven and actual MPG remain. Yes, if you're driving 100K mi/yr, fuel expense is big. If you're like the rest of us, 20K/yr is typical for a commuter. Let's cipher that out. 20K mi/yr at 20 mpg = 1000 gal. @ $3/gal = $3000. 20K mi/yr at 15 mpg = 1333 gal. @ $3/gal = 3999, a difference of $1K/yr.
MO is that reduced major maintenance, resale value, licensing (possible) makes up for a large part of the fuel differences between small truck and large truck. Beyond that, comfort while towing can be valued, also.

With the current 1/2 ton truck capabilities, 6000 lbs is about as much as I'd take on but I'm not up to speed on the latest models.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton