cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shocks which do you have and why?

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
This subject has been posted many times, and I post it again for updated information.

My question is what shocks do you run and why? When needed, would you buy them again?

I have a 2004 Dodge 3500 DRW Quad Cab. I have a 4000 lb TC on it. I do have an anti-sway bar, upper Stableloads and airbags (not needed). My total weight is 11,900 lbs. I have stock suspension other than what is listed.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

71 REPLIES 71

Bedlam
The advantage of King, Fox and FOA is that can be rebuilt when worn and customized for a particular use. This does come at cost compared to "out of the box" shocks. All shocks will eventually wear out, so you need to decide whether you want replace or rebuild.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Uncle Dot, report back on how much that would be. I'm curious. I'm sure custom valved shocks could be better once you get them adjusted. I'm not sure they would be cost effective.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Uncle_Dot
Explorer
Explorer
Found this in an old TC Magazine article. Perhaps someone knows this person?

“I have 2.5 King shocks with Don Thuren valving. In addition to the shocks, the stock Dodge suspension has been upgraded to a Kore front coils and Lorenz rear leaves. It’s a huge enhancement in handling and pothole deflection.” – Dave Anderson, 2007 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Northstar TC800

Some other 'mentions' of Kings with TC but no real reports. Mostly towing big 5th wheel or TT. Going to call Thuren this week when I get some time.

Uncle_Dot
Explorer
Explorer
I recall reading that he had, only I can't find the thread. I seem to recall that it was for a dually with a larger AF on it.

I found a thread with a set of Fox shocks but no Kings. Going to search a few other places.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Uncle Dot, did he valve some for a truck camper?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Uncle_Dot
Explorer
Explorer
Is anybody running King shocks? I recall reading a few years ago that a few people had a custom set valved by Don Thuren. They got good reviews.

I know the cost is $$$ compared to off the shelf shocks but really when you consider the totalprice of the rig with truck, camper, modifications and add-ons and maybe a boat in tow, they seem cheap.

Like to know because I don't really like Ranchos and might just spring for a set to help control the 19.5's when empty.

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
I've tried Bilstein 4600's, KYB MonoMax, and Rancho 9000's, and prefer the shocks in the order listed.

I won't own another set of Ranchos.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
... ****EDIT****
Seriously??!! The word R.A.P.E. was edited with stars?
A software programmed delete.

Wayne

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
It is intersting to see how shocks fall out of favor

Also interesting how Bilsteins and Ranchos are still going strong.

I imagine it's partly due to the 'follow-the-leader' mentality. Nothing wrong with that if the buyer isn't interested in the whys, just the what works. After all, this RVing is supposed to be fun in and of itself. Not a full time research job of what is best. If it works, and gives the RVer peace-of-mind, then fine.

I ended up with KYB Monomax for simple reason others did and not one had a regret as well as the price. My stock shocks were minimal unloaded and I am a criminal of the weight police at over 12,000 pounds on a single axle "3/4 ton" (what ever THAT is) truck. These things do the job I wanted them to do, I had the skills and tools to install them and they didn't **** my wallet. Ha!

****EDIT****
Seriously??!! The word R.A.P.E. was edited with stars?

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
koni website list our trucks under the RV section.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
It is intersting to see how shocks fall out of favor

Also interesting how Bilsteins and Ranchos are still going strong.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
As the OP of this thread, I specifically as two questions.

My question is what shocks do you run and why? When needed, would you buy them again?

For the most part, I think there have been very good responses.

But that is vague question because there are too many variables. Tow part time, 5th wheel, truck camper, 1/2 3/4 1 ton...etc...
I don't see it as vague at all. I did not ask about "Tow part time, 5th wheel, truck camper, 1/2 3/4 1 ton...etc...". I am interested in those. What shocks do you run and why? Would you buy them again?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

It is intersting to see how shocks fall out of favor--for a little while Koni were the "cat's meow" but now....not so much.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
As the OP of this thread, I specifically as two questions.

For the most part, I think there have been very good responses.

But that is vague question because there are too many variables. Tow part time, 5th wheel, truck camper, 1/2 3/4 1 ton...etc...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh