cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seven States to Ban the Sale of Gas Powered Cars in 2035

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
These are the states that have signed up to ban the sale of new cars starting in 2035.

All of the planned bans are in coastal states: In addition to California and Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon and Washington have made the commitment to stop allowing sales of new gas-powered vehicles after 2035.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
158 REPLIES 158

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blt2ski wrote:
Turtle,

I know about the dam issue here in Wa st. Along with some not too happy about the wind mills too.

Not positive about what is the true answer to the issues are. Probably a mixture of some sort. Nothing is totally positive at the end.

marty

Bad part is the greenies and those that support them directly or indirectly (the voting public)
donโ€™t like anything.
Hydro kills fish, wind kills bald eagles (lol at this oneโ€ฆ), NG is Orangeman bad, as is coal and frankly everyone knows the potential issues with nuclear.
So that leaves solar, in which literally vast expanses would need to be covered with solar to even begin to supply a majority % of power.

So why again to make the push to make EVERYTHING electric and ditch fossil fuels?

This is all the evidence needed to prove that electing someone (figuratively or literally) that only supports hopes, dreams and the indigent/leeches on society is not a good idea.
(Well, unions too, although now under false pretensesโ€ฆ)

PS, I bet 9.9 out of 10 granola munchin, courderoy wearin, leaf lickin libs have never worked in an oil field in North America and have zero idea how clean and environmentally responsible the vast majority of the operations areโ€ฆ.too easy to make blogs and stage protests after filling your Subaru or Prius with dead dinosaurs or plugging your Leaf into a coal fired boiler, rather than contribute materially and meaningfully to societyโ€ฆ.

(Whatโ€™s the over under on how long this post lasts?). Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
Huntindog wrote:
the bottom line is the human species has been too successful.with an ever increasing population, no matter what we do, it will impact the planet. but in the big picture, it just doesn't matter, earth has been around long before humans and will be around long after we are all gone. thru all that time it has been changing. and it will continue to change.

This is probably the most concise and true statement in this whole thread. We are just a blip in time and none of us can say with any certainty what the future holds.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
the bottom line is the human species has been too successful.with an ever increasing population, no matter what we do, it will impact the planet. but in the big picture, it just doesn't matter, earth has been around long before humans and will be around long after we are all gone. thru all that time it has been changing. and it will continue to change.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

blt2ski
Turtle,

I know about the dam issue here in Wa st. Along with some not too happy about the wind mills too.

Not positive about what is the true answer to the issues are. Probably a mixture of some sort. Nothing is totally positive at the end.

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Lithium by a county mile. And it's not just lithium. We are going to need millions of tons of copper to go in those big motors. Aluminum won't cut it.

I have been to this mine many times. You can read about it's tragic history by clicking here. They call this mine the mine that electrified America.

Much of the green tech is not green at all as the above article will show you.

In fact, even many hydro electric dams are being removed or on a list to be considered to be removed. There is one right up the road from me that is going to be removed because of fish concerns. Fish concerns

And don't get me started about geothermal. I live a stones throw away from the biggest geothermal field in the world. I have many family and friends that work there. They tell me all the time about heavy metals and arsenic and acids so powerful it will eat stainless steel like butter. They have drilled many wells that they have to shutter because the steam that comes out of it is so acidic it eats any well casing they put in it within months. Should I talk about the earthquakes they cause?

Ya, real green there.........:R
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

blt2ski
Turtle
Biggest issue I see with lithioum battery setup is the mining part, Hopefully as I mentioned before, as part of permitting, the mine will have to have the most recent clean mining techniques, along with updating as this mine goes on. With the ability for local federal government agencies to shut down or fine if rules are not being followed Fines need to be outragiously high, or the mine will do things incorrectly, pay the fine wich is cheaper than per latest regs.....
Reality, which is worst, oil or lithium mining? niether today, is what many of us call clean or healthy in many ways.

marty

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Turtle,

For long trips with larger loads, I'll ahree with your comments. I personally believe that in a few years the over 10,000-50,000 gvw rig doing local delivery with in cities at 100-200 mikes max per day are with in design relm. That could help in local pollution issues etc.
Probably hence why some of us, see EV's as a good coice for some, not so great today for others.
LP is another fuel, good for the city iI grew up in, most of the police, parks dept, DOT etc rigs are LP with some EV hybrids in the mix today. These alternate fuels can work. Yes ive shown a municipality as an example. I have family with hybrids, one bought a BMW EV recently. I dont see these working for me anytime soon. It woukd work for spouses rig.
Cost will kill the EV option for many people. especially lower income.

marty

I agree with you Marty.

But a few points. Fixing "local" pollution? Yep......but just putting it elsewhere. Some of my friends tease me about owing a coal powered car. I tell them it's not a coal powered car you idiots, it's a natural gas powered car. Get it right!! :B

All you have to do is look at this chart to see how little has changed:

Now all the volt heads always say "well coal has gone waaaaay down so neaner neaner neaner. I say ya, but look at the natural gas and petrol generation. Now the above chart is a few years old but you can what's been going on for decades. Will renewables tick up a bit. For sure, but not before 2030 or 2035.

And it does not help that the US Secretary of Transportation does not know virtually anything about electric cars. or the grid that support them. :S

outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
ktmrfs wrote:
Cptnvideo wrote:
bikendan wrote:

"becoming"? They already have!
We were native Californians who moved out when we retired. We moved to Washington State, which was Californicated in only 7 years. Now we're in Arizona and hope it doesn't happen here.

Me, too. If it happens here in AZ, we'll move to TX. We spent 2 weeks at Cotton Lane RV Park in Feb. Now we're boondocking near Bouse, AZ. Planning on going to the Lassen area for DW, but will travel in NV as far as we can before entering _____.

LOL when we travel the very very very LAST thing on our mind is carrying about state "color", it's about enjoying the best states have to offer for and RV experience, travel experience etc.

Staying in AZ till you can get the shortest "shot" to Lassen means your likely to miss some great CA campgrounds and places to see, Hat creek, Burney Falls, some of the old gold mining towns.

Umm, we will need to travel in NV also for that shortest "shot".
I've been all over CA when I worked in live TV broadcasting. And in our 1st 2 DPs, we visited several NPs and various other places like the Redwoods and the coast. So we've "been there, done that".
It is political for us. As long as that state keeps doing all the stupid stuff it does, we won't spend a dime there.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
For me what is missing today is any info that would lead one to believe that the truck mfg are looking at any form of a mild hybrid for 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. IMHO it's something that I'd go for in a heartbeat. If you could recover the energy from just stopping a large truck in city driving you'd see a big fuel economy gain, and If you could have a battery pack large enough to recover energy from a 1-2 mile 6% downgrade towing a trailer we'd see noticeable fuel economy gains when towing. And reduce load on the friction brakes as well.

Our Acura MDX mild hybrid, which will only go a few miles on it's battery, is good enough to boost city MPG from 16ish to a real world 26MPG for us.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

mhsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Oh..it will happen. We as individuals will not be able to own them due to how expensive they will be. We will have to Uber or Lyft when we want to go somewhere.

My 2cents.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
bikendan wrote:

"becoming"? They already have!
We were native Californians who moved out when we retired. We moved to Washington State, which was Californicated in only 7 years. Now we're in Arizona and hope it doesn't happen here.

Me, too. If it happens here in AZ, we'll move to TX. We spent 2 weeks at Cotton Lane RV Park in Feb. Now we're boondocking near Bouse, AZ. Planning on going to the Lassen area for DW, but will travel in NV as far as we can before entering _____.

LOL when we travel the very very very LAST thing on our mind is carrying about state "color", it's about enjoying the best states have to offer for and RV experience, travel experience etc.

Staying in AZ till you can get the shortest "shot" to Lassen means your likely to miss some great CA campgrounds and places to see, Hat creek, Burney Falls, some of the old gold mining towns.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Reisender is always talking about how little time it takes to charge his Tesla towing his tiny tear drop trailer.

Ok cool. But lets see how long it takes to charge a big truck battery towing an average trailer that an American tows in the states.

Click here to see the harsh truth.

Now remember, if you tow an average trailer that I see on the road it will only get you about 100 miles before you need a recharge. And remember, if it's cold out you can cut that range by 25 to 50%! So now you can only go 50 to 75 miles before you need a recharge.

I have heard some people on this site say things like I will just charge up at the campground pedestal. Nope, not going to happen for several reasons. One is campgrounds are banning charging up at the campground pedestal. The two campgrounds I camped at last year had rules that stated no charging at campground pedestals. Another reason is the amount of time it takes to charge a large battery. 4 days for level 1 for the example above.

Now if you happen to have that trailer that Fish gave an example about, now you have 2 very large batteries that need to be charged. Just think how long that will take to charge.

Batteries work great for low power demands. Things like drills and impact wrenches work great!!! Motorcycles are another great use of battery power.

Pickup's and semi's. Not so good.

Yah some good points. Even with our little trailer SUV combo charging takes a while, and itโ€™s not a big battery.

Currently EVโ€™s that tow are only suitable for towing small more aerodynamic trailers like tear drops etc. . They do that pretty well and provide a nice towing experience. Larger trailers are much better suited to gas or diesel.

But certainly present EV towing will continue to advance and do will charging speeds. Megachargers charge a semi in 30 to 45 minutes. Iโ€™m sure the megacharger technology will filter down to future electric pickups that are better suited to tow than current ones.

Who knows. Time will tell. But the technology and product offerings seem to be changing pretty fast. And consumer demand for EVโ€™s is not waning so I suspect technology evolution will continue.

Iโ€™ll disagree on campground charging. More and more campgrounds are adding charging facilities. Itโ€™s an amenity they can offer and generate revenue. Iโ€™m sure it will continue. We have never had an issue charging in a campground. Charge costs have been reasonable so far although admittedly at least for us most have not asked for payment, and thatโ€™s probably because we mostly rent 30 amp sites. (Itโ€™s just a little trailer). Iโ€™m sure the pickup crowd would want a 50 amp site as they have bigger batteries than our SUV.

Jmho.

blt2ski
Turtle,

For long trips with larger loads, I'll ahree with your comments. I personally believe that in a few years the over 10,000-50,000 gvw rig doing local delivery with in cities at 100-200 mikes max per day are with in design relm. That could help in local pollution issues etc.
Probably hence why some of us, see EV's as a good coice for some, not so great today for others.
LP is another fuel, good for the city iI grew up in, most of the police, parks dept, DOT etc rigs are LP with some EV hybrids in the mix today. These alternate fuels can work. Yes ive shown a municipality as an example. I have family with hybrids, one bought a BMW EV recently. I dont see these working for me anytime soon. It woukd work for spouses rig.
Cost will kill the EV option for many people. especially lower income.

marty

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender is always talking about how little time it takes to charge his Tesla towing his tiny tear drop trailer.

Ok cool. But lets see how long it takes to charge a big truck battery towing an average trailer that an American tows in the states.

Click here to see the harsh truth.

Now remember, if you tow an average trailer that I see on the road it will only get you about 100 miles before you need a recharge. And remember, if it's cold out you can cut that range by 25 to 50%! So now you can only go 50 to 75 miles before you need a recharge.

I have heard some people on this site say things like I will just charge up at the campground pedestal. Nope, not going to happen for several reasons. One is campgrounds are banning charging up at the campground pedestal. The two campgrounds I camped at last year had rules that stated no charging at campground pedestals. Another reason is the amount of time it takes to charge a large battery. 4 days for level 1 for the example above.

Now if you happen to have that trailer that Fish gave an example about, now you have 2 very large batteries that need to be charged. Just think how long that will take to charge.

Batteries work great for low power demands. Things like drills and impact wrenches work great!!! Motorcycles are another great use of battery power.

Pickup's and semi's. Not so good.

outside the fire"