cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Schwintek slide out system failure - brand new TT

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not really asking a question; more like blowing off steam.

After years of big TT's, one slide in truck camper, and a new Class C that we had for 5 years, we moved to a smaller TT for wife and I that would allow our grown daughters to come with, as one is just out of college and and another has couple years of HS left. 2022 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 17JG. Nice layout. Single axle. Schwintek slide out system which I've never had before.

Yes, this was a left over '22 that we purchased new in April this year. I've not posted about this issue yet, and after the phone call today from the dealer I felt I should. *** This is NOT a dealer issue!

1st time camping in our new unit was in May, just before Memorial weekend. Local state park not too busy. Trip uneventful, until we got home. You can't access back half of trailer, including fridge, with slide in. We have a space for the unit on side of garage, a concrete pad with 30A hookup. Slideout would not move except one side. After hours of asking mr. google his opinion, and mr. u-tube to show me how to reset the slide controller, it took wife and I an hour to locate it. Controller, which we don't think any of our other units had since they were not schwintek, is directly UNDER the slide, near the floor. All videos show the controller accessable when slide is OUT (most common sticking point it seems. But when stuck in, there is simply no accessing it. I made a decision to cut a small 6"x6" access hole in the slide out floor in order to do the reset procedure. Short of it is, we did the procedure 3 times. Nothing. Next day (Monday) tried it again. Nothing.

I'm leaving the parts out about the colorful things I had to say about the trailer, but will say I kept thinking it should just "roll back" into the gulley behind the garage. Unfortunately, it didn't...I had wheel chocks in place pretty well. Oh well.

Calling the dealer, they could not get me in until June 26. This was May 22. We had booked 2 weeks in Pigeon Forge/Smoky Mtns at a nice RV park that we've tried to get before. For some reason, steam filled the room (from my ears). I made the appointment. I also called 2 other local RV tech's -- 1 a mobile and 1 a shop. They mobil guy said he'd get me in "next week". He never showed and now won't answer phone. The shop said mid-August.

Anyway, I took it to RV dealer yesterday, and the whole schwintek system is to be replaced ... what parts that means I don't know. But there are just over 20 trailers ahead of mine with SAME issue (not all wolf pup's), and about a 6 week lead time. Oh, and because the access hole I made is right where a roller will roll when the slide moves, the floor of the slide out has to be replaced, NOT covered under warranty. The guy did say that just about half of the units they are working on, a hole was cut with same issue...controller under slide, in-accessable.

Anyway, sometime this fall when the trailer is done, it's going up for sale. Yes, all paperwork will go with it, and the issue with the controller, slide, etc will be known to those who look/buy.

Oh, and we cancelled our Pigeon Forge rv park site at the cost of 1 nite, and were able to book a log cabin in the area. Still had fun.

Have never felt so defeated on well, anything like that. Used it 2 nites. And now, floor replacement or not, won't have it back until most likely September.
14 REPLIES 14

StonedPanther
Explorer III
Explorer III
TXiceman wrote:
The Schwintek systems seem to do pretty well on the smaller slide boxes. Thet are a disaster on the larger and heavier slid boxes.

Best advice is to just stay away from them.

Ken

Exactly, and add to that the builders/manufacturers install them out of tolerances in most cases. It's a really finicky system in regards to alignment. 1/16 of an inch off in tolerance when it comes to the opening size in the sidewall or slide box itself can be what determines if it operates flawlessly or not. Also add in its an LCI product (lippert Components) and everything they are associated with is garbage but no way around them, at least some of their junk is in or on most every RV made.

It's simple. Two small motors akin to a car window or cordless drill motor. Its one thing to expect them to drive a small 4'X 4' wardrobe slide that weighs a couple of hundred pounds max, as opposed to a 12' long full height slide with an entire kitchen stuffed inside it that weighs half a ton or more.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just watched a video today from an RV repair guy. He said, when you buy new, don't expect to use it for the first year, because it will be in the shop getting repaired... Seems like that is your experience.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
The Schwintek systems seem to do pretty well on the smaller slide boxes. Thet are a disaster on the larger and heavier slid boxes.

I had the SWINEtek system on one slide that was a large heavy bedroom slide on our HitchHiker Champagne. It was the only thing that really gave us much trouble in 10 years. Tracks repair and replaced twice, motors once.

Best advice is to just stay away from them.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

^^^ This. Rack and pinion it the only way to go, IMHO. Sorry for your loss.
Schwintek is a rack and pinion slide.

Not really. Not what I'm talking about anyway. I'm talking "real" gears. Not some pressed out sheet metal garbage.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
My Schwintek slide has never had a problem in nearly 10 years.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Schwintek is a rack and pinion slide.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Fulltimers wrote:
Just watched a video from an RV repair shop last night that said NEVER EVER EVER EVER buy an RV with a Schwintek slide out system

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm so frustrated with the RV industry. We had a 2003 popup for 9 years with no issues, and we loved it. We then "upgraded" to a 2016 TT, and we have a love hate relationship with it. Problems from the 1st trip.
We really love camping, and want a new camper, but we hear so many stories about crappy build quality. We want to buy a nice 5th wheel in the $75k range, but we can't bring ourselves to do it. We are thinking of just buying a $30k TT just to ease the pain if it is ****.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Just looking forward to repair complete and then decide next steps. We paid $Cash$ for the darn trailer...cash which could be earning interest in a CD, instead of being tied up in an unusable TT. And we know if we do sell/trade, we will (a) loose 1/3 or more (I'm betting on half) of the money sunk in, and (b) pass the issue down the line to someone else; sure it will be fixed, but sounds like might happen again. In time.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
A company is making a replacement for the Schwintek. Look up Vroom side outs. It was custom engineered for the company owner and now he is building the replacement. They are booked months out and the price is not cheap. But it is a well designed system.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Just watched a video from an RV repair shop last night that said NEVER EVER EVER EVER buy an RV with a Schwintek slide out system
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
sorry for your troubles ,there very cheaply made, and think more like dec .just think there going to take junk out and put junk back in.trade it off come wensday morning.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
That hurts! I watched an extensive repair video about Schwintek and knew I would never own one even though the video itself was well done.

One comment: "You can't access back half of trailer, including fridge, with slide in." Reasonable access to essentials with the slide in is very high on my PDI list and I would have walked. Just my 2 cents...
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Ouch! I purchased a "new" 2022 unit this year too. I'm having some growing pains with it. Quality workmanship is REALLY missing on these things.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE