cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schwintek Slide Failure :(

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
Took my 2015 Fun Finder 189FDS out of its storage garage to get ready for the 2017 "season". (and to get my brand new pesky puppy used to being inside of it...)

Anyway, the rear of the slide tries to move and the front just stays put. After about 1-2 seconds, whole thing stops. It will retract.

I found the "control box" (under the bed), and it is blinking 1 green and 8 reds. Trailer is hooked up to shore power.

Can't talk to my dealer until Monday. Any thoughts of something I might be able to look at?

Sigh.
14 REPLIES 14

ng2951
Explorer
Explorer
There is a lot on-line at Lippert University. Lippert has a video on how to manually retract the slideout:
https://youtu.be/bGL4aILZYcY

I would recommend watching this video first. When I did my PDI it was never explained to me that you should hold the switch for 3-5 seconds at the end of travel. This is to ensure the computer has identified its zero point and keeps the unit traveling square.
https://youtu.be/hSafAnjxIV4

I called Lippert today and asked them about lubbing the system. The customer service rep says it is really not necessary, but there is nothing wrong with doing it. The maintenance that really adds longevity is to clean the rack with soap and water. That makes some sense since dragging grime into the mechanism would only increase wear.
https://youtu.be/8KbVRFMo1Rg

This vid deals with how to inspect your Schwintek slideout
https://youtu.be/_TriNbci200

Motor replacement here:
https://youtu.be/DviEbWT3lUo

If you have a Schwintek you should have these videos bookmarked.
Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Chloe, Belle, & Danke
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
2017 53 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
OP HERE: Took the trailer to the dealer...turns out a wire had come loose from a connector (like the pic). It was VERY difficult to access - no way to get both arms in the area. Oh well - it's fixed ($100) and I hope it won't happen again or on the other side!

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
I just dug out the literature I have and there is one other thing you could try-adjust the stall amperage. If the slide is bound up even just a little bit it can be enough resistance to cause one of the motors to shut down, as the motor thinks the slide has fully opened or closed. If you change the setting a little bit, it might be enough to overcome whatever resistance is in the slide.
Schwinteks are so fickle. Good luck!

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
In the stuff you downloaded it should tell you how to "jog" the motors to help bring them back into sync. At the control panel you can disable one side and move the other and vice versa. Everytime my slide decided to get cockeyed I would do that and it worked fine. Maybe it will work in your situation. Also there are some other troubleshooting tips online if you spend a bit of time searching.

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
Is the battery in it and fully charged?

Yes, Group 31 battery, fully charged, and I'm on shore power. I always keep the button pressed for a second or two each way.

ng2951
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't sound like a synchronization issue. When you run the Schwintek in and out always hold the switch active for 2 or 3 seconds after it stops moving. The motors try to rezero themselves at the end of travel.

If they get out of sync, retract the slide a few inches (maybe 6) and then extend it again. Repeat this 3 times.
Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Chloe, Belle, & Danke
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
2017 53 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Is the battery in it and fully charged?

WA4HTZ
Explorer
Explorer
I also had the same problem and code on my 2015 Fun Finder 266KIRB. Under warranty so I took it back to the dealer. They ended up replacing the motor on the side giving the error message. The Hall-effect sensors can fail and I seem to remember another post somewhere where the wiring had broken inside the motor housing. I agree with other posters though. Check all of the connectors on the control box and try to check as much of the wiring as possible between the control box and the slide motor which is reporting the problem. In the end though, you may have to take it to a repair place or find a good mobile tech. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Ken
Ken and Jeannette
2015 FunFinder 266KIRB - Traded in
2006 Ford F-250 "Super" Cab Long Bed - Traded in

2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
THANKS! Will try when I get home.

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I had this same problem on my Sunset Trail. A wire that plugged into the control box had become loose. I just unplugged it and plugged it back in with the power off. Cleared it right up.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a slide, but my job is an HVAC tech and I have to troubleshoot using this type of chart all the time. My guess is it's telling you that the hall effect sensor that it uses to limit the travel isn't communicating with the control board. They are suggesting that its usually a wiring problem. Find the wiring diagram, see what color wire is connected to the hall effect sensor and trace it, its probably loose in its connector, corroded, or pinched somewhere.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

mogman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a Schwintek slide,I think mine's a happijac??
I put the slide out one day, when I went to pull it in...nothing. I found the control box and pulled the electrical connectors off one at a time, cleaned them...all works now.
Just a dirty/corroded connector.
'15 Ford Transit 250, 3.5 ecoboost, 3:73 ls
'12 Lance 1685

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
OP HERE:

I printed out the Schwintek troubleshooting guide. I have no clue what this error message means:

"HALL SIGNAL NOT PRESENT. Encoder is not providing a signal. Usually a wiring problem."

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
xyzHollyxyz wrote:
Took my 2015 Fun Finder 189FDS out of its storage garage to get ready for the 2017 "season". (and to get my brand new pesky puppy used to being inside of it...)

Anyway, the rear of the slide tries to move and the front just stays put. After about 1-2 seconds, whole thing stops. It will retract.

I found the "control box" (under the bed), and it is blinking 1 green and 8 reds. Trailer is hooked up to shore power.

Can't talk to my dealer until Monday. Any thoughts of something I might be able to look at?

Sigh.
yes go to the schwinteck information on site for trouble shooting and light codes.Very straight forward.Seems like the problems are inevitable I am waiting for mine to happen.