cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Schwintek RV slide mechanism

mehwwh
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with the Schwintek slide mechsnidm in their RV?
2014 Dodge Durango Limited
2015 Jayco JayFeather SLX 19XUD, Reese WD Hitch, 800# Trunnion Bars, Stromberg Carlson 2500# Power Tongue Jack
13 REPLIES 13

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I had a motor short-out without prior warning on my bedroom slide. Dealer was able to fix that, but it took 4 of us to be able to force the slide closed. My two rear bedroom slides have no had any problems.

My 14' superslide has had ongoing problems, so far requiring 2 trips to the factory. The system is no no good for large, heavy slides. I can see gear wear again, so I'm sure the system will need to be replaced again, sooner rather than later. I've also had trouble with it being unable to open the slide in very cold weather.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Laberj45 this is what I have found as well. To others Google Schwintek slide problems. You will have plenty to read and can make your own conclusions.

I myself will not purchase a RV with this system.

laberj45
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 2017 Miramar 34.3. It had a 30 foot superslide. Unfortunately it was manufatcured incorrectly with a Lippert Schwintek 2 track system. It was supposed to come with a 3 trax system. It was remanufactured - but continued to work improperly. I have had more experience than I want with the Schwintek system and have found the following:

The slide is just too large and heavy for such an electric motor system. This type of system that Thor uses is cheaper and lighter - but has a high likelihood of malfunctioning (as any honest service tech).

Any full slide wall system, in my opinion, should have a hydraulic system. Smaller slides can get away with the Schwintek electric components.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
I've bad no problem at all with the Schwintek system in our camper.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Google Schwintek and you will get tired of reading about all the problems. That said I am a firm believer that it has more to do with how well the system was installed than the system itself.

My brother had fits with his for close to two years with the slide once tilting outward at the top looking like it would fall out of the trailer. It broke teeth off the gear rail. Sorry, I looked for the picture and couldn't find it. He could not get it to retract fully because of the angle and had to drive home with the top jutting out about 5". The dealer eventually removed the rails and the drive motors and all the seals and replaced them with new. The installation must have been done properly because he hasn't had any more issue in the two years since.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine has been trouble free. Note read the owner's manual Owner's Manual. The most important part is on page 4 where it says this:

3. Press and hold the IN/OUT switch (Fig. 1B) in the OUT position until the room is fully extended and stops moving.
Note: It is important to continue to press the slide-out switch for a few seconds after the room is fully
extended until the motor shuts off. The control will sense that the room has stopped and will shut off the motor after a few seconds.
4. Release the switch, which will lock the room into position.

No. 3 is the important part, when moving the slideout in or out, hold the button a few seconds after the slideout stops moving. This is how you ensure the motors stay timed.

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

I've read enough problems, and talked to those that had them that I chose to stay clear of them when we researched buying a new RV.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
mine has worked correctly from new. I agree with this comment made earlier:

"One thing they don't like is stopping partway in or out. Let them fully extend or retract without stopping. "

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 FunFinder 210WBS purchased new at the beginning of camping season in 2000 so we have used it for 7 seasons. The mechanism has worked flawlessly all this time. I did have a related problem that damaged the floor of the slide. Fortunately I was able to repair the problem before there was too much damage.

Here's what happened. There are three nylon rollers under the slide's floor that provide support as the slide moves in and out. One of these was impacted with caulk so that it did not turn. Instead the slide just skidded over it eventually damaging the floor of the slide. So if you have a Schwintec slide I recommend that you inspect these rollers to make sure that they are not doing damage to your slide floor. They are easy to see when the slide is extended. This is also a good time to examine the underside of the slide.

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
Never had an issue with ours in almost 5 years. The bathroom was blocked by the table so we had to slide it out about 2' when we stopped at rest areas.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

Community Alumni
Not applicable
They work fine but require a little more attention. Keep the tracks clean from debris and lube them; I use dry silicone spray. I also spray some lube behind the seals and onto the gears.

One thing they don't like is stopping partway in or out. Let them fully extend or retract without stopping.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Why you having issues, some here have had many issues while others have not, seems the bigger the slide the more issues.

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has operated flawlessly for nearly 5 years.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi