Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scamp trailer

titobob
Explorer
Explorer
BEWARE of Scamp trailers.

Mine is a 2010, 13 foot, deluxe model with bathroom. Here is my experience:
2011: Broken water filter attachment due to sloppy installation.
2011: Particle board counter top by sink began to swell. Fixed under warranty but still a hassle.
2011: Leaking toilet, took many hours to diagnose and fix.
2012: Heater doesn't work---hours to diagnose and fix
2013: Propane tank hose leaking. Not fixed yet.
2013: Roof leaking around fan. A Screw was tightened too much in assembly and had broken off inside the fan frame. Also, all the caulk had lost its adhesion and peeled off. Not fixed yet.
2013: Heater not working again. Not fixed yet.

My trailer---and I suspect others made by this company---looked good but was apparently made with the lowest quality workmanship and materials possible. I paid almost $15,000 and think it was worth about half that. Now, I'd be lucky to get $5000.
22 REPLIES 22

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Hum, never heard anyone complain that their caulking failed after 3 years. You do know that caulking has to be inspected and replaced every 6 months? Never had a camper that didn't need caulking replaced over a year old. Yeah, the caulking may not come loose enough to be obvious without an inspection, but it'll be leaking water into the roof, walls, windows, corners, you name it. Even the marker lights have to be caulked or they'll leak into the walls. Maybe this is the reason for the water damaged (swell particle board) cabinet top.

Good luck, your problems seem pretty trivial at best beside the water damaged counter top (leaking caulking?). Maybe an item that needs periodic maintenance isn't for you. Nothing against you, but many people think RVs are maintenance free and get upset when they find out they aren't or have damage from lack of. If anything, that are high maintenance items unfortunately.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:

Tax included? Financing available? Dollar down, dollar a week?

-Sales tax?
No problem! Washington State sales tax due on vehicles purchased by out-of-Staters and taken directly home included!

- Financing?
SURE! At the ridiculously low rate of a mere 100%, compounded daily!

-Dollar down, dollar a day?
That would be up to the next hundred or so generations of your heirs, whose approval I'd have to have in writing...

:B

Well I guess I will have to bow out now. I only have one heir, and I know he won't approve. As he is not married, the family line stops there anyways. Sorry.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:

-Sales tax?
No problem! Washington State sales tax due on vehicles purchased by out-of-Staters and taken directly home included!

- Financing?
SURE! At the ridiculously low rate of a mere 100%, compounded daily!

-Dollar down, dollar a day?
That would be up to the next hundred or so generations of your heirs, whose approval I'd have to have in writing...

:B
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
All you folks that are tryin' to outbid me should know that the O.P. has already accepted my own Very Generous Offer and the Scamp is sitting in my driveway right this minute. But as it turns out I already have a trailer so guess I'll let this one go.

It's your lucky day! 🙂

All future bids should be directed to me, and the starting price is now $10,000.00. :B.........;)

Darn, I am three dollars short. :B

Your superior haggling skills are too much for me...sold! For the rock bottom price of $9,9997.00.

Will you be picking it up, or can I interest you in my lowlow delivery-extra rates? :@

Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
All you folks that are tryin' to outbid me should know that the O.P. has already accepted my own Very Generous Offer and the Scamp is sitting in my driveway right this minute. But as it turns out I already have a trailer so guess I'll let this one go.

It's your lucky day! 🙂

All future bids should be directed to me, and the starting price is now $10,000.00. :B.........;)

Your superior haggling skills are too much for me...sold! For the rock bottom price of $9,9997.00.

Will you be picking it up, or can I interest you in my lowlow delivery-extra rates? :@

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:

It's your lucky day! 🙂

Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer

It's your lucky day! 🙂

Leo_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I raise the bid to $5,004.00.

Coalminer_UG
Explorer
Explorer
I am in BC Canada. I will give you $5003. Just give me time to get a new pass port so i can drive down to get it.
Ches

Served In Canadian Army 1PPCLI

Retired Underground Coal Miner (Gen Foreman)

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
About the roof fan leak: it is my understanding that all Scamp roof vents could benefit from dismounting the vent and putting butyl tape under it, then screwing it back down. The factory does not seal these very well; I think they only run a bead of caulk around the perimeter.

If you're not too far away, I'd give you $5,002. 😉
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

mcoonan
Explorer
Explorer
As far as $5000.00 goes, you are way under-valueing your Scamp.
Take a look:
http://kalispell.craigslist.org/rvd/4681605393.html
http://worcester.craigslist.org/tls/4676988637.html
http://spokane.craigslist.org/rvs/4663979877.html
http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/rvs/4680868642.html
http://up.craigslist.org/rvs/4650099820.html
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/rvs/4632504317.html
http://roswell.craigslist.org/rvs/4682434115.html
Well you get the idea.
I used www.searchtempest.com to find these on craiglist.
Mike
2013 Puma 39-PQB
1976, 77 or 78 Coachman Cadet 19 1/2
Previous TT:
2005 Cherokee 28DD
1984 Scamp 16

mcoonan
Explorer
Explorer
Did you buy this new or used?
2011: Broken water filter attachment due to sloppy installation.
Should have been spotted during PDI (pre-delivery inspection)
2011: Particle board counter top by sink began to swell. Fixed under warranty but still a hassle.
All laminate counter tops are made of particle board, if you let it get wet it will swell. How did it get wet?
2011: Leaking toilet, took many hours to diagnose and fix.
Did you fix or have it fixed? Where was it leaking? What caused the leak? What was the fix?
2012: Heater doesn't work---hours to diagnose and fix
Did you fix or have it fixed? How was it not working? What was the fix?
2013: Propane tank hose leaking. Not fixed yet.
So a hose leaked after 3 years of use. Where is it leaking? Do you really think that Scamp is to blame for a leaking hose? 3 years after they built the trailer!
2013: Roof leaking around fan. A Screw was tightened too much in assembly and had broken off inside the fan frame. Also, all the caulk had lost its adhesion and peeled off. Not fixed yet.
The broken off screw is a screw up on their part. The person putting the screw in should not have left it like that. Caulk should be checked at PDI and at least every year after. Every fall and spring, I get up on my roof and check all the seams and caulking. And if you think that there is a lot of caulk to inspect on your Scamp, my Puma is 40 feet long, feet long, has 5 skylights/fans, 3 doors, 4 slide outs, and 12 windows and I still do the inspection.
2013: Heater not working again. Not fixed yet.
How is it not working? The same as last time or different?
2013 Puma 39-PQB
1976, 77 or 78 Coachman Cadet 19 1/2
Previous TT:
2005 Cherokee 28DD
1984 Scamp 16

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
A friend of mine just mentioned a couple of days ago, that he had sold his scamp, and was looking for a different trailer.

I don't know what year it was, but it was an older one. He said he got $2500 for it. Then he said that he paid $2500 for it 17 years ago, and used it a lot!

Jerry

lurkerdan
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
titobob wrote:
Now, I'd be lucky to get $5000.

Based on the Scamp's age, your description, and what I know about the molded fiberglass trailer market, I'll buy it at that price sight unseen; and will come to get it anywhere in the continental U.S.A.

P.M. me if my offer is acceptable.

ha, that was my thought as well...