cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saw dust or sand?

beehappy33
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought our second travel trailer and have only taken it out a couple of times. When I opened the door today to load up for our next adventure, there is this saw dust or sand like stuff all over the floor? (It is also on the bed above the vent)
I didn't notice this with the first camper. Does anyone know what is causing it and should I be concerned?
Pulling a 31 ft Wildcat with 2 slides.
11 REPLIES 11

beehappy33
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the help!

Rovito
Explorer
Explorer
My first thought was ants.
2001 Ford F150 pulling a KZ Sportsmen classic 19BH.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Is it new or preowned?
Bob

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe carpenter ants. Keep an eye out. They have destroyed my rear door.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Arctic Fox 28F. Cleaned it when we brought it home and never saw sawdust since.

Very odd something would appear while being stored.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters above beat me to it.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
There shouldn't be any sawdust falling out while it's just sitting there. While traveling down the road, yes; sitting parked, no. If there is sawdust falling out while it is sitting parked I would look for carpenter ant activity.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
After 12 years I still have sawdust coming out of the nooks.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you take out a ceiling light and put a couple of fingers up on the top side of the ceiling panel, you'll find it's covered in sawdust. Our last two trailers were like this and even after 13 years we still find sawdust in light fixtures and inside the cabin occasionally.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
saw dust will burn sand will not
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably the sawdust that was created when it was built. I had the same problem with our travel trailer the first season after we bought it. They're built as fast as they can be and there's no cleanup involved after they saw something. It works its way through the joints when bouncing on down the highway.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.