cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sailun AT tires on tow vehicle

outlaw85
Explorer
Explorer
I tried a few searches here and there aren't many reviews out there on the world wide web. These would be for our F350 DRW

I'm looking at these SAILUN TERRAMAX A/T 245/75R17 (load range E 10ply)

I know the trailer tires are highly praised and just wonder if anybody has used the truck tires. If so, do they get the same trust?

Here is the datasheet- http://www.sailuntires.ca/PLT/AT.html

Thanks,
Outlaw
2006 F350 DRW Towboss 6.0PSD
2011 Keystone Laredo 321BH
RIP-1997 Damon Challenger 30 RK
37 REPLIES 37

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sure 100k is possible and doable on hard compound, freeway driven, no traction having street tires.
BUT this is always funny to hear some bragging about tire life and others worried about the "safety" of putting an extra bag of groceries over the door sticker weights.
"I -5" or any other road in the PNW where it rains all the time and is cold is about the unsafest place in the world to have a set of 80k mile old pavement pounder tires.

Although if a person up here thinks that is ok, then they're probably hanging out at 50mph in the hov lane with all the hippies and Asian drivers and hydroplaning isn't as much of an issue if yer driving slow as molasses....

An objective takeaway though after living up here for over 5 years now is tires last MUCH longer here than most other climates. Wet pavement and low traction for the majority of the year is very kind to tire tread life.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Cooper has in the past had a long wearing AT tire also. I personally have not found Michelin to be that good of a tire in LT versions. Miles I get vs traction for a given rating, ie Hwy vs AT vs Traction is too high cost per mile. I also do more what I would call city driving, so that is harder on tires than highway driving.
Altho I do like the XDE M+S Michelin traction tire on the MDT. That has been a good tire.

Marty

Yes, but the 100K out of the Michelins like some claim :@

Ain't no "CLAIM" about it! 120K on Michelins years ago on C20 2wd and more recently 120k on 3rd gen take offs on 2500 4x4 RAM. 100K on the 3rd gen take off BFG's same truck.

NW weather commuting 35-100 miles each way every day.

"If one stays on the interstate, yes, you go long than one on the city/county roads."

YUP, I got to know I-5 VERY well on my 1,000,000 mile commuting career.

Years ago, okay, what you getting now out of those Michelins, the subject is All Terrain, we need to stick to that, and compare apples to apples.

As I have stated before, many need or want All Terrain, not All Season, big difference.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Cooper has in the past had a long wearing AT tire also. I personally have not found Michelin to be that good of a tire in LT versions. Miles I get vs traction for a given rating, ie Hwy vs AT vs Traction is too high cost per mile. I also do more what I would call city driving, so that is harder on tires than highway driving.
Altho I do like the XDE M+S Michelin traction tire on the MDT. That has been a good tire.

Marty

Ain't no "CLAIM" about it! 120K on Michelins years ago on C20 2wd and more recently 120k on 3rd gen take offs on 2500 4x4 RAM. 100K on the 3rd gen take off BFG's same truck.

NW weather commuting 35-100 miles each way every day.

"If one stays on the interstate, yes, you go long than one on the city/county roads."

YUP, I got to know I-5 VERY well on my 1,000,000 mile commuting career.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

23mikey
Explorer
Explorer
Just pulled the trigger on the Sailun Terramax AT 4S. Install date is Jul 13.
We'll see if Sailun makes as good an LT all terrain tire as they do the S637 trailer tire.
2018 F350 DRW Lariat PSD
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320GK 1200w Solar, 400aH Battleborn, 3kw Magnum Hybrid Inverter/charger, Disc brakes, Sailun G rated tires

blt2ski
cummins2014 wrote:
blt2ski wrote:

Marty

I have yet to get a set or axel alone of tires to go 100K miles. 60-70K miles seems about as long as I get, usually more like 40-60K depending upon the truck, useage etc. If one stays on the interstate, yes, you go long than one on the city/county roads.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:

Marty

blt2ski

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
23mikey wrote:
RVBikers thanks for your input! A softer sidewall is not what I'm looking for. The OEM Michelins, I believe, have a soft sidewall as evidenced by the pressure (heat) rise on the front tires in unloaded mixed city / highway driving. Front pressure rises 10 psi (70 - 81) where the rears only go up 2-3 psi (55-58).

Sounds like I'll stay with my original pick, the Toyo Open Country AT2 that I've had great experience with on my '03 GMC 2500HD.

Thanks!

Mike

If its All Terrain tire someone is after ,then the Toyo's are hard to beat .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
My thing with tires is simply, if they aren't Michelin or Firestone, I don't buy them. Sailun sounds Chinese to me.

They are Made in china.

Bridgestone makes a tire that wears like iron but does not have a great ride. Michelin Defenders will have a great ride and wear well.

IMO fighting the Sailuns is a losing battle, they have proven at least on the S637's to be a superior tire to the Goodyear G614 , not only in performance and reliability ,but cost. I suspect the same thing is going to prove out for these Sailun truck tires as well.

I know you are a big Michelin fan, but you are pushing an All Season tire, its comparing apples ,and oranges. Many want ,and need an All Terrain, and that is where I suspect this Sailun truck tire is going to come into play in a big way.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I am running the 20" on my 14 F350 diesel SRW, I replaced BFG AT with these and so far they are out preforming the BFGs for about 1/2 the price. if they keep wearing like they are I will buy them again. oh and they handle pretty decent in the snow, I put them on in January.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

23mikey
Explorer
Explorer
RVBikers thanks for your input! A softer sidewall is not what I'm looking for. The OEM Michelins, I believe, have a soft sidewall as evidenced by the pressure (heat) rise on the front tires in unloaded mixed city / highway driving. Front pressure rises 10 psi (70 - 81) where the rears only go up 2-3 psi (55-58).

Sounds like I'll stay with my original pick, the Toyo Open Country AT2 that I've had great experience with on my '03 GMC 2500HD.

Thanks!

Mike
2018 F350 DRW Lariat PSD
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320GK 1200w Solar, 400aH Battleborn, 3kw Magnum Hybrid Inverter/charger, Disc brakes, Sailun G rated tires

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
SidecarFlip wrote:
My thing with tires is simply, if they aren't Michelin or Firestone, I don't buy them. Sailun sounds Chinese to me.

They are Made in china.

Bridgestone makes a tire that wears like iron but does not have a great ride. Michelin Defenders will have a great ride and wear well.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RVbikers
Explorer
Explorer
23mikey wrote:
Just saw this old post. I too am looking to change tires on my new '18 F350 DRW. I've had the Sailun S637 on our 5ver for 2 + years and 8000 miles. Awesome tire, especially on a 13k 5ver. Looking to upgrade the OEM Michelin tires LTX A/T. Previously had great luck with the Toyo Open Country A/T 2 on my '03 GMC 2500HD Duramax. Easily 50k+ miles, currently on second set. Was planning on those for the new truck when I saw the Sailun Terramx A/T. Simple Tire can get them to me for $100 less per tire than the Toyos. Decisions....decisions!

Any update from those who chose the Sailun??

Thanks,

Happy 4th!!

Mike

Mike,
I got the Sailun Terramax AT's for my dually. They are ok. I like the tread but haven't tried them in snow. The steering feels a little less responsive. I think the sidewalls are a little softer than others. I probably won't get them again. I have towed the 5er about 2,000 miles so far with no issues though.
Keep true to the vision living in your head.
Jim & Evelyn
2015 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7L
2016 Prime Time Spartan 1242X
2012 Street Glide (his)
2004 Fatboy (hers)

23mikey
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw this old post. I too am looking to change tires on my new '18 F350 DRW. I've had the Sailun S637 on our 5ver for 2 + years and 8000 miles. Awesome tire, especially on a 13k 5ver. Looking to upgrade the OEM Michelin tires LTX A/T. Previously had great luck with the Toyo Open Country A/T 2 on my '03 GMC 2500HD Duramax. Easily 50k+ miles, currently on second set. Was planning on those for the new truck when I saw the Sailun Terramx A/T. Simple Tire can get them to me for $100 less per tire than the Toyos. Decisions....decisions!

Any update from those who chose the Sailun??

Thanks,

Happy 4th!!

Mike
2018 F350 DRW Lariat PSD