cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sailun AT tires on tow vehicle

outlaw85
Explorer
Explorer
I tried a few searches here and there aren't many reviews out there on the world wide web. These would be for our F350 DRW

I'm looking at these SAILUN TERRAMAX A/T 245/75R17 (load range E 10ply)

I know the trailer tires are highly praised and just wonder if anybody has used the truck tires. If so, do they get the same trust?

Here is the datasheet- http://www.sailuntires.ca/PLT/AT.html

Thanks,
Outlaw
2006 F350 DRW Towboss 6.0PSD
2011 Keystone Laredo 321BH
RIP-1997 Damon Challenger 30 RK
37 REPLIES 37

RVbikers
Explorer
Explorer
Outlaw, did you ever make a decision on this? I too have been searching for reviews on these tires and havent found many. I was looking at BFG TA KO2's for my dually, they are running about $213 online, I came across the Sailun Terramax AT on Simple tire for $125, plus 10% off, so $113 each. Saving $600 bucks, I think I am gonna give them a shot.
Keep true to the vision living in your head.
Jim & Evelyn
2015 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7L
2016 Prime Time Spartan 1242X
2012 Street Glide (his)
2004 Fatboy (hers)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Dannyabear1 wrote:
I have had a set of 16" on my 1500 chevy for over a year now, no problems and don't show any wear. They are the 10 ply.

10 ply actual or 10 ply rated? Big difference.

Obviously 10 ply RATED. Tires haven't had "plies" in that sense since the days of nylon bias tires.

The 1960s called, they want their tires back!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
32vld wrote:
Firestones have been poor quality
for decades.

Only time I had bad Michelins was
when they were OEM tires on my
suburban.

Tire debates......just like oil debates but not!

Fwiw I used to think the same about Firecrap tires. But been impressed recently with the 2 different sets I'm running. Nice part is they're cheap cause no one likes them!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
SidecarFlip wrote:
Dannyabear1 wrote:
I have had a set of 16" on my 1500 chevy for over a year now, no problems and don't show any wear. They are the 10 ply.

10 ply actual or 10 ply rated? Big difference.

Obviously 10 ply RATED. Tires haven't had "plies" in that sense since the days of nylon bias tires.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

32vld
Explorer
Explorer
Firestones have been poor quality
for decades.

Only time I had bad Michelins was
when they were OEM tires on my
suburban.

peiscooter
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set of sailun WST2 LT winter truck tires on my Ram. The dealer threw them in as part of the deal when I bought the truck, and I had doubts at first. However, turns out they are probably the best winter tires \i've ever had!
Cheers

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I ran a set of winter tires last year from Sailun on my wife's Focus for 3 months before we decided to trade it in on a new explorer and to be honest I was greatly disappointed with the performance in the snow and ice and how much noisier they were compared to the General winters I took off. Both were studded tires so yes, they are noisy but theses were a whole other level.

Based on that I think I would shy away from their products on passenger cars.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Was at tire shop last Fri w/ DW's car for rotation and inquired about snow tires for my pick-up. 2 choices popped up: Sailun and Good Year. The Sailuns were 175 and GY about 100 bucks more. Picture wise, the Sailuns looked much better for traction than the GY did. Had Mastercraft Cursers snow tires for old truck. Good snow tire (no Blazzaks), but good. Will give 'em a shot.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never heard of Sailun tires?? Great tires in my experience.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Never heard of em. Lots of tires out there to buy that have a good Rep already.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
10 years on a pickup tells me either he ran very few miles or the rubber compound is awfully hard which would make them dangerous to drive in the rain. With my pickup (1 ton), the most I can get on a set of tires is 45K and they are done.

Yes 45K is acceptable , but my last set of Firestone Transforce HT's got 28K before they needed to be replaced. This was three months ago. Now Michelins granted I haven't run any for a few years , but got similar terrible wear out of them.

I babied these last Firestone's , rotated them every 5K ,they wore down very smooth ,and very fast. I keep hearing both ,how terrible, and how great. I guess I got the terrible set .

I maybe saying the same about the new Toyo AT2's I just put on three months ago. Usually get around 40-45K out of AT's. My last set of Goodrich TA's went over 40K . If the Toyo's don't work out it will be either Cooper AT3's or Mastercraft Courser AXT which are made by Cooper.

These Toyo's will only get one shot if they go less then 40-50K. I'd rather pay less for the Coopers or even less for the Mastercraft, and probably get the same mileage. Toyo's are not cheap.

I keep hearing how great the Toyo's are, that are very quiet, and seem to handle well towing a 38' fifth wheel. Time will tell.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that, with a diesel pickup your tire life is always shorter no matter how careful you are with inflation and rotation because with a diesel pickup, when you go around a corner, the torque is always trying to spin the inside tire (limited slip or not). I can feel the torque shudder in my diesel pickup when taking off from a light and rounding a corner and that torque is wearing the rubber, moreso than a gas motor.

I rotate mine every oil change and I'm a fanatic about inflation pressure as well. My previous set of skins was a set of All Terrain/TA/KOD's and I actually got 50 on them but they howled when they got worn a bit and the tread started chunking (I live on a gravel road). The Michelin's are quiet and I'm not having tread issues.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

outlaw85
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the replies. Still makes it hard to decide though. If I go with them I will be sure to update.

Thanks!,
Outlaw
2006 F350 DRW Towboss 6.0PSD
2011 Keystone Laredo 321BH
RIP-1997 Damon Challenger 30 RK

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
10 years on a pickup tells me either he ran very few miles or the rubber compound is awfully hard which would make them dangerous to drive in the rain. With my pickup (1 ton), the most I can get on a set of tires is 45K and they are done.

Yes 45K is acceptable , but my last set of Firestone Transforce HT's got 28K before they needed to be replaced. This was three months ago. Now Michelins granted I haven't run any for a few years , but got similar terrible wear out of them.

I babied these last Firestone's , rotated them every 5K ,they wore down very smooth ,and very fast. I keep hearing both ,how terrible, and how great. I guess I got the terrible set .

I maybe saying the same about the new Toyo AT2's I just put on three months ago. Usually get around 40-45K out of AT's. My last set of Goodrich TA's went over 40K . If the Toyo's don't work out it will be either Cooper AT3's or Mastercraft Courser AXT which are made by Cooper.

These Toyo's will only get one shot if they go less then 40-50K. I'd rather pay less for the Coopers or even less for the Mastercraft, and probably get the same mileage. Toyo's are not cheap.

I keep hearing how great the Toyo's are, that are very quiet, and seem to handle well towing a 38' fifth wheel. Time will tell.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
jolvi wrote:
Well Firestone and Michelin have had some issues, remember the 721? I also stay away from tires that are made in China, but if you look on where tires are manufactured that are on your vehicle you may be surprised. I had a set of Toyo tires on a Ford Ranger that were made in France.

Fair statement but I still trust them more. I bought a set of Kuhmo tires for my tandem axle gooseneck equipment trailer and they lasted a year and 2 came apart. It now has Michelin's on it.

My Focus has Continentals on it from the factory as did my wife's Transit van, they will both get Firestone's soon.

I mount and balance my own tires, have the equipment. Having a tire come apart at speed is quite an experience. Been there and done that and I don't want a repeat performance if I can avoid it.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:

I regularly get 80k out of my truck tires.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.