cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV decision

Mayborn1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, my wife and I have been kicking around the idea of buying our first RV. We have been retired for about 2 years now and this option has been on our minds. Originally we were leaning towards buying a newer travel trailer (around 25’) but after reading numerous comments and articles on the quality and reliability issues with newer travel trailers we have begun to rethink doing this. I’m a fairly good carpenter, woodworker and shade tree mechanic. So, repairing minor issues wouldn’t be a problem. Structural issues on the other hand scare me. Would a motor home be more reliable than a travel trailer or similar? Would an older travel trailer be more reliable (pre-COVID years)? If I go with a travel trailer I will be limited by my tow vehicle (2019 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4) which I estimate to be in the 5K to 6K range. Thanks for any input.
17 REPLIES 17

Mayborn1
Explorer
Explorer
My tow limit is 9400 lbs. I don’t want to max that out but I would like to get a decent size RV that my wife would be happy in. We looked at a few 24’-28’ units and the 25’-27’ seemed to be the sweet spot for us.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Mayborn1 wrote:
If I go with a travel trailer I will be limited by my tow vehicle (2019 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4) which I estimate to be in the 5K to 6K range.

Never "estimate" things like tow capacity, weight ratings, etc. Find the actual specs and then go from there.

I'd be really surprised if the tow rating on your truck is that low. Heck, my 2017 Colorado has a 7000+ lb tow rating.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Being in Florida puts you in the best area for a used unit. Like you I'm "handy". RV's are put together in sub module units. You may have study a bit on how to access something you want to fix. Don't let it scare you.
The wife and I spend 5 months in Florida in our 34' 5th wheel with 3 slides and are quite comfortable. We've had truck campers, Class C MH, 31' TT and a couple of 5th wheels.

Get out there and enjoy while you still can.

Roofs, our TT had one piece alum sheet. To work up there you had to play leap frog with a couple of plywood squares to spread the weight out. It never leaked, even after looking like a dimpled golfball after a hail storm. We bought it new and had it for 18yrs. One 5er had a rubber roof, not impressed. Our present 5er has a PVC roof, love it. I built a antenna boom out of PVC once thinking I'd get a yr or 2 at the most. It suvived over 10 yrs, 30ft in the air in central Indiana. I wash it with Turtle Wax car wash soap and it's so white you best wear sunglasses.

I've replaced a bedroom slideout floor, changed carpet out for a vynil floor, redid a bathroom floor and the with some help from the wife we replaced two axles that got recalled and all the hardware from the lug nuts to the schackle mounts. Some floors have soft spots, beware of water intrusion but I've had 2 caused by deterating styrofoam. In my case I think mine have been from all my weight being placed in a small area from useing crutches.
Some times I enjoy working on my rig and other times I can get fustrated. Oh well, I still say go for it. Sit down and try to think of things you would like to do. Go to an RV show and write down things you like and things you don't. Then for a 1st rig, I'd try to find a reasonably priced used unit.

My in laws liked a new 5er with a front living room and a rear bath. Before the 1st month was out they hated it. I bought a pop-up truck camper that had damage but something I though I could fix. We didn't plan on keeping it long. One trip, 13,000 mile over 2 months to Alaska. After being in larger units we called it Nabisco, our cracker box but what a trip.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Mayborn1
Explorer
Explorer
That’s the concerning thing. I’ve know people who were able to cover up signs of water damage on houses with a little paint and other tricks. I’d definitely want to hire a reputable RV inspector considering that this will be our first RV.

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
No doubt older trailers were built better than the ones today (generally speaking). However when you buy an older used trailer you are inheriting all the handy work, repairs and damage from previous ownership. Not a deal killer but it means the inspection process needs to be much more in-depth and you need to know where to look and what you are looking for. Most everything can be corrected and helps with getting them to lower the price. The #1 thing you want to walk away from is WATER DAMAGE from the roof, seals and plumbing. Small leaks that were corrected quickly don’t result in water damage but many RV owners don’t know something is leaking, or if they let it go for too long before trying to do something about it. Many times their attempted repair doesn’t work because they either don’t want to spend the money or don’t understand what they are dealing with. Run away from trailers like this because the water damage you see is usually just the tip of the iceberg.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
The membrane itself is typically warranted for 15-20yr. Very rare for the membrane to actually leak (assuming you don't poke a hole in it with a branch or similar)

It's the seams where you cut into the membrane to put in hatches and other items and along the edges where leaks typically happen.

Your last statement is correct but no manufacturer I've heard of suggests the caulk/sealant lasts forever. In fact, they typically won't honor warranty work if you haven't been keeping up on it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

That said, if you are reasonably handy, it's not nearly as big of a deal as they make it out to be. Biggest thing is to keep it sealed up so water doesn't get in.

That can be very difficult to do !

The typical rubber membrane roof deteriorates in direct sunlight. It needs to be washed at least once a year and sprayed with a UV protectorant (twice a year if you live in the southern US and store outside).

Despite what manufacturers will tell you, no caulk/sealant lasts forever.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, I'm sure you're right that RVs from the last 2 or 3 years are lacking in quality. I think that probably applies to trailers, 5th wheels and motorhomes alike. They were slapping them together as quick as possible and selling them as soon as they were made.

For your first RV, I always recommend buying an older used one. Generally you need to figure out for yourself what type of rig you want. Maybe you want bunk beds for grandkids... maybe you don't. Maybe you want an outdoor kitchen... maybe you don't. Maybe you want a bigger unit, maybe you don't. You might think you want one thing, but when you actually start camping and see how you use the space you may change your mind.

As others said, will you be in a resort setting or state forest setting? Are you camping for a weekend at a time or month at a time? Are you making reservations a year in advance and possibly camping in the rain, or last minute trips where you can avoid bad weather? Are you making meals inside, or are you cooking outdoors, or are you going to restaurants? Do you need space inside for TV, naps, crafts, etc?

Then you throw in the Covid influence on slapping them together as quick and cheap as possible and I would strongly recommend not buying new.

My family LOVES camping. Rright now we are in the season of life with softball and baseball games/practices in spring and fall, so camping has been been relegated to just the summer and our yearly Florida camping trip in the winter. We usually cook most meals at the camper, some inside, some outside. We need sufficient room inside the camper for stormy weather with three kids 10 and under. Until about a year ago, we needed a quiet spot for the youngest to nap while the rest of us were out and about. We camp at resorts, we camp at state parks. We do weekend trips, we do 3 week trips.

It's very fun, very educational for our kids. But there are pros and cons to camping and the style of camping and the style of camper. The moral of the story is that its going to be quite difficult to determine where your style of camping fits until you've done it for a little while. Best to buy a used rig so if you decide you want to change it out in a year, you can probably get most of your money back when you sell it.

Good luck with your decision. Like I said, our family LOVES camping. We are planning a cross country trip when I retire in 3 years. The wife and I are hoping to continue to camp as we age, as long as we are healthy and able to do so.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mayborn1 wrote:
Hello all, my wife and I have been kicking around the idea of buying our first RV. We have been retired for about 2 years now and this option has been on our minds. Originally we were leaning towards buying a newer travel trailer (around 25’) but after reading numerous comments and articles on the quality and reliability issues with newer travel trailers we have begun to rethink doing this. I’m a fairly good carpenter, woodworker and shade tree mechanic. So, repairing minor issues wouldn’t be a problem. Structural issues on the other hand scare me. Would a motor home be more reliable than a travel trailer or similar? Would an older travel trailer be more reliable (pre-COVID years)? Thanks for any input.

In addition to the advice already posted, consider the type of camping you want to do. Are you in to USFS, State Parks, COE, etc? Or do you see staying at more of a "resort" type campground? That could be a factor in what size rig to get. In particular for USFS, there's going to be times when size matters and you won't fit into some/any of the sites available. That can also be true for some State Parks.

I've had 25 and 28 foot trailers, and I have no problem finding a place in USFS and State Park campgrounds, which are my preference. A good USFS with electric is my ideal campground, but am fine with no hookups since I have a good battery pack and generator if needed.

For the resort or full service/full hookup camppgrounds, it's not going to be as much an issue as far as size, but the age of the rig could be. There are some that have a "10 year old" rule, no rigs older than 10 years. These have no appeal to me, but the do have appeal to others.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Buy privately. Spend the money needed to have an RV mobile repairman inspect and test all the various systems. Look for water leaks. Look harder for leaks. LOOK HARD FOR LEAKS.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
“Structural issues” are not a concern in general on any RV unless it’s sustained some damage Water or otherwise.
Wiring plumbing and components are mostly similar across most rv brands and models.
Buy one that isn’t on the verge of being overloaded due to being under designed and one that feels like the interior hard pieces are pretty solid.
And the box end of a class A or C is the same basically as the box and what’s in it on any trailer frame.
You sound like you’re getting paralysis by analysis here.
Also buying used is a good indication of overall fit/quality. If it’s been towed around 1, 2, 5 or 10 years and has held together chances are it will keep holding together.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unless you move up into high end diesel pusher motorhomes (think tour busses), no they are all pretty much built the same way and use the same appliances.

That said, if you are reasonably handy, it's not nearly as big of a deal as they make it out to be. Biggest thing is to keep it sealed up so water doesn't get in.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Seems newer RVs are having more issues than older ones. I bought a 2007 Montana 5th Wheel new and kept it 14 years and it could not have been more trouble free. Not sure that can be said about any newer RV of any type. I like to buy new. But finding a several year old unit in great shape would certainly be worth considering.

With motor homes, you have the additional issues of a another drive train to service and maintain. And you would probably want a vehicle that can be towed behind it if yours is not towable.

With a travel trailer, you need a vehicle capable of towing whatever size travel trailer you decide to buy. That may mean buying a new tow vehicle.

You just need to decide what is right for you.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Mayborn1 wrote:
... after reading numerous comments and articles on the quality and reliability issues with newer travel trailers we have begun to rethink doing this. I’m a fairly good carpenter, woodworker and shade tree mechanic. So, repairing minor issues wouldn’t be a problem. Structural issues on the other hand scare me. Would a motor home be more reliable than a travel trailer or similar?

No ! Class C motor homes are built using the same structural design. (Plywood floors. Wood wall studs. Wood ceiling trusses. Plywood roof and side sheathing.)
Mayborn1 wrote:

Would an older travel trailer be more reliable (pre-COVID years)? Thanks for any input.

A couple of years is good. Big price drop. Not necessarily a big quality improvement.

You are hitting on the reason why I am currently out of RVing (plus age) ! IMHO, for a $20,000 travel trailer, I would gladly pay an additional 10%-15% for better materials and workmanship. Rot proof floors. Commercial grade TPO roofing (zero maintenance). Better/more insulation. All electric, no propane. Residential mini-split heat pump.