cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running on MT

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
When the little miles to empty readout hits zero how much fuel is in your tank? I now know that the 2016 F350 shortbox has something more than 6.4 liters. Have you ever had to run past zero miles to empty?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
17 REPLIES 17

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I have diesel storage at home so normally I leave with a full tank of fuel. Last night we left in a hurry and only then realized the fuel was going to be tight to get back. I wasn't too worried about it because I had a fuel card and was going to be going past a card lock on my way home. As it turned out, I tried filling up on my way home but my fuel card wouldn't work and there was no fuel station open.

This is when you wish that you were driving an old US Army multi-fuel deuce and a half ๐Ÿ™‚
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have diesel storage at home so normally I leave with a full tank of fuel. Last night we left in a hurry and only then realized the fuel was going to be tight to get back. I wasn't too worried about it because I had a fuel card and was going to be going past a card lock on my way home. As it turned out, I tried filling up on my way home but my fuel card wouldn't work and there was no fuel station open.
B&W Companion

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not fond of walking along the highway. Usually start looking for fuel at about a eighth of a tank in less I'm in a remote region. Then I fill up when I come to a town.

I have been in situations where I had to drive for 30 miles on empty. When I did fill up it took 27 gallons in my 29 gallon tank, for me this was to close for comfort. Truck gets 13.7 solo.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I have not done it, But I understand that most modern fuel systems are designed to shut off the engine before completely dry, to keep from getting air into the fuel system and injectors. I am not a mechanic any more, but if one goes completely dry, there can be other problems getting it started again. Any of you mechanic types please comment on this.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Fords typically have a 5 gallon reserve.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Since I generally bring a generator along, I also have at least 1 full five gallon gas container along too. I had to use them more than once with my old pickup. The new one hasn't stranded me yet. I try hard to coordinate gas fills with bladder empties too.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I canโ€™t answer that because I never run it that low. I start looking to fill up around a 1/4 tank. If Iโ€™m out west Iโ€™ll start looking at a 1/2 tank. My buddy learned the hard way not to push it. I told him before he left for a western trip โ€œdonโ€™t run the tank past 1/4! There arenโ€™t a lot of station around like in the Midwestโ€. Well he didnโ€™t listen and he barely made it to the next station. He filled his Excursionโ€™s 44 gallon tank with 43 gallons!!!!

Not to mention the fuel pump relies on the fuel to keep it cool.

Well said!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I canโ€™t answer that because I never run it that low. I start looking to fill up around a 1/4 tank. If Iโ€™m out west Iโ€™ll start looking at a 1/2 tank. My buddy learned the hard way not to push it. I told him before he left for a western trip โ€œdonโ€™t run the tank past 1/4! There arenโ€™t a lot of station around like in the Midwestโ€. Well he didnโ€™t listen and he barely made it to the next station. He filled his Excursionโ€™s 44 gallon tank with 43 gallons!!!!

Not to mention the fuel pump relies on the fuel to keep it cool.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
After the DTE on my truck gets to 15 or 16 km it will change to FUEL LOW. I can go up to 50 km before running out, which I have done once. I have on a couple of occasions put 96 litres in my 98 litre tank after driving to the fuel station. All of this not towing. I don't make a habit of running ultra low but in 5 years of ownership circumstances get you.

As to the comment of the dirt and stuff in the bottom of the tank, well the fuel pick up doesn't move when the tank is full, it's always sucking from the bottom. That's why they filter the fuel.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I have a 32 gal fuel tank and mechanical injectors, never like to get below 1/4 tank. If I go down to about 1/8, I usually have drive over 500 highway miles. Towing that would be about 250 miles, more time than my body can go without a relief break.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't it be better to plan better and run on the top 3/4 of your tank.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a mechanic and my information may not be that accurate. Having said that I don't think running a fuel tank dry is a good idea. My understanding is that a number of vehicles have their fuel pump located at the bottom of the tank and use fuel as a cooling medium for the pump. Running it dry or near dry doesn't leave an adequate amount of fuel surrounding the pump to cool it.

You indicated that " The tank is designed with a special sump in it that allows 100% of the fuel to be drawn from the tank." Maybe this design feature alleviates the fuel pump cooling concern. I don't know.

Also dirt, etc. in a fuel tank tends to settle at the bottom of a fuel tank...stuff you don't want in your fuel lines and further.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Also, were you on a level road? The fuel gauges may have been designed to fudge through the angles that Ford engineers assumed were normal driving angles for that truck. You may have actually lost fuel suction if you were driving up or down hill much sooner than was the case in your instance.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
gbopp wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I maybe could have gone another 30 miles?

There's only one way to find out. Carry a full 5 gallon fuel can and run your truck dry. :C

That is one way to find out. Anther way is to disconnect the hose at the fuel filter and measure how much fuel you can pump into a container after driving 30 miles past empty. Because the truck has such a small tank it would be nice to be able to use its entire capacity.
B&W Companion