cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running a/c off generator while towing

Trent1980
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, new to forum, have had camper for 6 months, 4 trips in it. From south Louisiana, it's hot! Was wondering if anybody runs ac off generator while towing to location? Any help or info would be appreciated! Thanks!
29 REPLIES 29

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
afidel wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
If you can mount the generator safely then yes that would be great.

Not just the generator but the cord also (not so much of an issue with a built in generator)

If traveling in really hot weather, we just open everything up to flush out the hot air. Assuming it's not rainy or dusty, doing it 10-15min before arrival then driving will be even better. Then turn on the air/con.

This is where the MaxxAir vent covers come in handy, we set the bedroom to suck in and the bathroom is always exhaust so just turn those on and I can have it down to ambient in about an hour, rain or shine.

Vent covers are on my To-Do list. Had them on prior rigs. Then yes, just leave them open a bit before even hooking up.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarabooBob wrote:
How are you going to plug the trailer into the generator? Does your trailer cord go out the front of the TT? Is your generator a built in unit? I would worry about the cord being pulled out of trailer if you have the generator mounted outside the camper or in the truck bed.

You can securely wire tie the cord (or an extension cord) under the trailer right to the trailer tongue. Then just like your 7 pin trailer cord leave some slack and loop to the vehicle and run to your gen.

Myself, My shore cord uses a hatch with a mouse flap, it is big enough to get my hand inside the door..

So.. I mounted a 30A socket INSIDE the hatch, ran 10/2 with ground Romex inside the trailer up to the tongue and terminated that to a 15A/20A plug. Now I can run a short 12/3 extension cord from the gen in the truck bed to the plug on the tongue for a quick way to power the trailer at any rest stop I want power..

That setup also does double duty when I stop at any relatives home for a day or two for plugging into their outdoor 15A/20A outlets without pulling the 30A shore cord out..

As far as running the gen while driving, never tried that. I have a cover on my truck bed so have to open the cover to run the gen..

In theory, it could work although I vaguely remember some posts yrs ago that some folks had issues keeping their portable gen running.. Might have to do with the gen not protected from high speed winds and or vacuum created when driving..

Myself, just start the gen when we stop and run the A/C for 10 - 20 minutes is enough time to take the edge off of the heat buildup, works pretty well for us even in 90F+ temps.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Not just the generator but the cord also (not so much of an issue with a built in generator)

If traveling in really hot weather, we just open everything up to flush out the hot air. Assuming it's not rainy or dusty, doing it 10-15min before arrival then driving will be even better. Then turn on the air/con.

This is where the MaxxAir vent covers come in handy, we set the bedroom to suck in and the bathroom is always exhaust so just turn those on and I can have it down to ambient in about an hour, rain or shine.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Trent1980
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
How are you going to plug the trailer into the generator? Does your trailer cord go out the front of the TT? Is your generator a built in unit? I would worry about the cord being pulled out of trailer if you have the generator mounted outside the camper or in the truck bed.

I was going to mount generator in the back on the bumper, closer to cord, if it will work ?????

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
midnightsadie wrote:
wouldn,t the cold air get sucked out?

Do you travel with all your trailer windows open?? In truth trailers are pretty tight. In winter when traveling in cold weather we run the furnace when traveling so the rig isnโ€™t an ice box when we arrive. It is toasty warm when we open the door.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
dodge guy wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Y-Guy
We've run it with our 5er and our Class A, no issues. We'd fire up the generator on the 5er about 45 minutes from our campsite to cool things off, but we were camping in 95ยฐ heat too.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I've ran the AC and Gen while towing. Worked fine.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I have my generator mounted in the bed of my truck, by the tailgate. I installed a generator inlet on the front of my trailer just for that purpose. This is so I can cool my trailer at rest stops, at boondocking sites, power outages in camp grounds, and to cool my trailer before I get to a camp ground in hot weather.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
In hot weather, I generally run the roof air for an hour or so before stopping for the day.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

katysdad
Explorer
Explorer
The class A's and C's run while on the road because the dash air doesn't cool the whole rv. Just be sure your generator location vents the exhaust so it does not get pulled into the trailer or tow vehicle.
Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Diesel

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
We are from SC and travel west and south a lot. We set up, turn the ac on and take the dogs and us for a long walk. Get back and the unit is below outside temp. Get dinner started and enjoy the rest of the cool down.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
wouldn,t the cold air get sucked out?