cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rubber roof confusion

biggjb
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the middle of repairs on my TC and have removed a portion of the rubber roof due to holes and damage. I also repaired the roof and replaced the OSB with plywood. I am replacing only this portion of the rubber roof and am going to buy enough rubber roof to cover it. my confusion is when I go to various websites they state either EPDM or TPO material. Are they both the same with the same physical properties? Also, if they are different I am not sure which one would be better for the TC roof. Camping World sells rubber roof cleaner and repair kits. Can these products be used on both the EPDM and TPO material? Thanks in advance as I am coming close to finishing my TC.
12 REPLIES 12

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you will like that decision in another year, I would just pull it all up and put down new on the whole roof, even if you are looking at having it 5 years it will help with resale as well.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

biggjb
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
biggjb, The existing roof on your 1999 Fleetwood Elkhorn is EPDM, if that was the question. Which for partial replacement I'd stay with same material.
Though only because any other material, caulk etc, would need to be compatible with both if different used.
All the EPDM Ive seen or used is black beyond the white top layer.

Thanks AnEv942. This was part of my concern. I have removed about 8 feet of the front in my repairs and it was very time consuming and difficult to remove the old membrane. A procedure I do not want to do again for the remainder of the camper. My intent, correctly or not, is to replace the membrane I removed and place a strip of EPDM tape over the joint. I was also going to treat the old roof to protect it. I am hoping to get another 5 years out of the camper.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
My old Shadow Cruiser came with EPDM so that is what I put back down. Here is my old thread on fixing mine: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27761327/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
biggjb, The existing roof on your 1999 Fleetwood Elkhorn is EPDM, if that was the question. Which for partial replacement I'd stay with same material.
Though only because any other material, caulk etc, would need to be compatible with both if different used.
All the EPDM Ive seen or used is black beyond the white top layer.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
These guys are a great wealth of info. They helped me with mine. http://www.flatroofsolutions.com/
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
We have a new TPO roof on our truck camper and I intend to treat it and the new fiberglass nose twice a year with 303 Aerospace UV Protectant. Just spray it on and wipe with a clean cloth. Leaves a teflon like surface that protects really well and inhibits dirt and other deposits from sticking to it. Yes, it would be more difficult to walk on but I'm always on my hands and knees anyway. I used it for 11 years on our Zodiac RIB. I'd wipe the hypalon tubes with it after cleaning it from winter storage. Each spring I'd simply hose of all the accumulated grime and pollen and wipe with a sponge. No scrubbing whatsoever needed to restore the bright white surface.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
EPDM is a rubber material and TPO is thermoplastic. I would chose the TPO over the EPDM, it is a more durable material and will resist punctures and tearing from tree branches better than the EPDM. Having said that my EPDM roof is 25 years old and still does not leak. The white surface will slough off with time and the elements and eventually you will see the black sub coat. Coating the roof with Henry's, Heng's, Buscoat etc will preserve the EPDM longer and the white coating will keep the camper cooler.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
This isn't a lot of help, but to identify which roof you have you can look at the backside of it. I think if the back side is black, it's TPO. I think. Confirm that with a RV repair shop before you spend any money.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
My impression of any of the RV rubber roofs as they are called, leaves me to believe the best time to coat them is when they are new. Before they start to break down from sunlight. I like the first video in the link and think that one is best. Whoever sprays around marker lites instead of removing them seems questionable but I am usually voted wrong in my opinions.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
dicore I have the EPDM on my Arctic Fox and the TPO on my Open range. The TPO reminds me of materiel that they make a beach ball out of. TPO is easier to clean, and less slippery when wet. But I think I like the EPDM better because the caulk used to fix it is more ready available.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
There's a company here in the Houston area which will remove your old rubber roof and replace it with an indestructible spray on bedliner material. When mine gets old enough to need it, that's the route I'm going. It's about 2 grand for 38 foot RV, so a TC should be very reasonably priced. They even go about 2 inches over the roof, like a lip, so there are literally no seams. Why don't manufacturers do that in the first place???

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I am not an expert but ...

My research says TPO is more durable, especially if you the commercial grade 60 mil. The big difference in between EPDM and TPO is that all seems on TPO are "heat welded" using a special high temp hot air gun. Very little, if any caulk is required.

Watch some of these video RV Roof Install The also RAISE all roof penetrations on "curbs" and then install and weld factor made curbing resulting in much better leak resistance.