cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rodent repellent

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
Did some research & need more info.... well, tonight checked oil in my ram dually and another nest started with alfalfa leaves... 2 months ago a squirrel got under vehicle and my dog went nuts and cost me 180 dollars for repairs. now with fall coming their will be more rodents wanting to move in... haven't had much troubles b/4.. in house we use ultra sonic for mice and haven't had one since installed....... WHAT experience for repelling has worked for you all.... all RV's have a potential issue......
jimbow
23 REPLIES 23

specta
Explorer
Explorer
The area where my camper sits is covered with mulch. I spay Home Defense from Home Depot all around the blocks the jacks rest on and I don't have an ant problem either.

Some time ago everyone used to put dryer sheets all over inside their RVs to keep rodents out.

Couldn't guarantee if that worked or not but it sure smelled good.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Jackathan
Explorer
Explorer
Moth balls don't work. At all. Watch the videos on youtube from Shawn Woods. Posting again in different mouse thread. Mice don't care about moth balls, or pretty much anything. There are some good kill traps as Bill Anderson has described. What we have found that works 100% is poison bait stations. Put a couple by the wheels. Don't worry friends, we are animal lovers, with many pets. Dogs, Cats, turtles, lizards. Mice can be extremely destructive. Mice are not an endangered species. They reproduce at an amazing rate. Mice are cute, so don't worry, they will survive, but not in our $60,000 fifth wheel.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Janss wrote:
rhagfo, I like your permanent setup. So no portion of the rope light gets too hot/melts while driving? Not sure I feel confident enough to string the rope to avoid heat while driving. Any tips?

I have had it installed almost two years, no issues that I have seen. It runs near the outer edge of the engine compartment, secured with zip ties. It seems to hold up the the heat just fine.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo, I like your permanent setup. So no portion of the rope light gets too hot/melts while driving? Not sure I feel confident enough to string the rope to avoid heat while driving. Any tips?
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Janss wrote:
We've tried several things to deter rodents. The only thing that has worked consistently and completely is putting a shop light under the hood. I plug it in with an extension cord over to my carport and a dusk to dawn timer. When we are on an RV road trip, we leave one car in the carport. I do the same thing for it, but I just lay the shop light on the ground under the engine.

I took this one step further, I installed a strip of cut to length LED lights around the inside of the engine compartment. The plug is on the right side of the bumper, and plug in ever time I get out of the truck.

Well I didn't have access to photos when I posted this, a drop light is a bit of a pain as you need to remove anytime you drive the truck. This is a permanent install with plug on drivers side of bumper.

Light shining under hood.

With hood open!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I second the posion blocks. Set them in the hard rat or mouse traps if you have other animals. Freash cab / moth balls / irish spring people say work also.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

JRJR
Explorer
Explorer
An old sock with a bunch of mothballs in it is supposed to keep them out.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife's Audi got chewed up couple/few years ago. Had dealer install an ultrasonic box. Zero issues since. Good, as it's always on and always with you. No forgetting to turn something on/off or being SOL if you forget it/ can't plug in when camping.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

1jogger
Explorer
Explorer
Hard working jack russels!
We had 2 jacks that tore the wiring out from underneath
my F-350, they were really proud--$800.

Years later, a new ram we now keep it away from dogs with hood propped open 12"all day and low watt bulb underneath engine at night.
That was after $2000 wiring damage, luckily ins. helped.

Also sprayed "bitter apple" on all connections. This is used as deterrant for puppy chewing and it'll stay on surfaces for weeks.
No problems since, been 6 months.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
That's what works for me.

Click For Full-Size Image.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
guys right, fresh cab is pricy so I make up a bunch of little packs using old panty hose. put them every where. and peppermint oil. P.S some auto wiring was made with soy oil thats why they chew the wires.

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
We had pack rat move into our truck during our last extended camping trip. I cleared out the nest, which had a small rodent mummy the rat was keeping for some reason, and opened the hood for a couple of days. The good thing about an open hood is it's a great place to hang a hummingbird feeder.

Anyway, we drove into Laramie to dump and restock and my wife wanted me to look between the sidewall and the camper to see if there was any water(we had an intermittent leak) and I saw the rat. So I started taking off the turnbuckles and my wife started the jacks. This threw me off because it's not my usual routine so I jumped into high gear to get the turnbuckles off before she got too far with the jacks.

I missed a turnbuckle and the camper only came up part of the way. I panicked and went to open the turnbuckle but my wife stopped me before I got hurt and I lowered the camper back down undid the turnbuckle and then raised the camper again.

I pulled forward about halfway to take a look and the rat was passed out in the truck bed. Screwing up the turnbuckle actually worked in my favor because the rat got a little crushed when I lowered the camper. He surely would have found another spot to hide under the bed once I removed the camper. I used a turnbuckle to sweep him out of the bed and he woke up, but he was pretty badly injured and couldn't move quickly. I finally got him on the pavement and my wife attempted to put him in a bag and take him elsewhere.

All the while a truck with a couple of people were watching this hearing my wife scream a couple of times when the rat moved toward her. It must have been quite entertaining because they didn't leave until it was all over.

Now I always open the hood when camping in pack rat country and I will make sure I have moth balls between the camper and the truck.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

Mike_and_Terry_
Explorer
Explorer
Used uncle Gus pestproof in camper