cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rockwood 8313SS Bunk Modifications - Seeking Help

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
My current TT is in need of some modifications. We have already pulled out the hide-bed love seat in the bunk area and replaced it with a twin bed that provides storage underneath as well as a place for the kids to sleep at night and sit during the day.

Unfortunately, the top 'swing down bunk' on is getting too small for the other child. I would prefer to keep this TT since it is PIF and otherwise meets all our needs.

Any suggestion for replacing the swing down bunk and putting in a more stable bunk that has greater capacity (and is more comfortable)? I have been a thinking about attaching 1x1 boards on each side and hinging the back in order to create a more stable platform for a mattress. I just wonder if the internal walls to the slide are strong enough.

Has anyone done similar modifications?

Thank you in advance.
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!
4 REPLIES 4

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
Again. Thank you.
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

'09 Rockwood 8313SS

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
I used regular wood screws. Put a few extra in and mine is plenty strong. Holds 19 year old boy or 16 year old girl.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
CaLBaR wrote:
I have an 8298 and it had a narrow top bunk which I pulled out and framed up a wider one with a wider memory foam mattress. The walls should be plenty strong as all of the cupboards are just screwed in the the walls and most don't hit the studs.

I just made sure to put enough screws in to make is strong. Just make sure you don't over tighten as it is only thin Luan and can strip easily. Snug works well.

Did you use regular screws or did you use anchors? I was wondering if anchors wouldn't work better or if standard wood screws would be sufficient.

I have looked at a few pictures of TT with larger bunks and I have a good idea. I am just worried about strength since the bunk is on a slide out.

Thanks for the note.

'09 Rockwood 8313SS

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 8298 and it had a narrow top bunk which I pulled out and framed up a wider one with a wider memory foam mattress. The walls should be plenty strong as all of the cupboards are just screwed in the the walls and most don't hit the studs.

I just made sure to put enough screws in to make is strong. Just make sure you don't over tighten as it is only thin Luan and can strip easily. Snug works well.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller