cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rieco Titan 2500# jack is binding.......

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Right out of the blue, the jack stopped, and would not work either up or down. I checked the receiver and found that the lights came on for all 4 jacks both up and down, even for the stuck jack. When I try the jack while charging the batteries with my generator (the batteries are fully charged) I put a hand on the jack motor, and can feel it trying to move both up and down, but it is definitely stuck. This tells me that power is not a problem, so the issue must be mechanical. All fuses are fine, and the other 3 jacks operate as they should.

Anyone had a problem like this, and if so, what was your fix? Gears binding? I'm going to block up the RR corner and have a look, but a bit of knowledge going in would not be a bad thing.

Thanks!

Forgot to add that I tried to turn the spindle/motor with a ratchet, and it turned maybe 5 degrees before binding. Adding a bit more pressure (maybe 50 lbs ft) it let go for maybe another 5 degrees before binding again. Is there an overload ratchet system in these jacks?
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)
7 REPLIES 7

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
I had a look at a video on these things as you suggested Gd Thanks.

I took the head off, and found that the shaft in the tube spins freely. As you would expect I guess. I swapped both rear heads (just plugged them in), and same thing. The bad one has continuity, so I figure it could be a broken gear with maybe a chunk gumming up the works.

WD40 is my friend hopefully. I doused the screws holding the top cover on. One unscrewed nicely after a few taps with a hammer on the screw driver, but the other one won't budge. Rather than strip the head, I'll let it soak overnight and try again tomorrow with a few more love taps, and maybe I can coax if off then. Last resort is drill and easy-out. Hopefully I'll find an easy fix then.

RICKIM
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good Luck!, Iโ€™ve had to replace two different RT jacks on my TC in three years due to them binding and seizing up. I never had a problem with my previous RT jacks on my old TC so Iโ€™m pretty confident it wasnโ€™t operator error.
Take the power head off and make sure it runs freely when plugged in. If it does its your jack. Mine would start to burn up the power head plug as it would draw so much current trying to operate the jack. There is no repairing the acme thread/screw or large control nut on the inside of these jacks. Theyโ€™re crimped together with the outside housing. Iโ€™ve taken them apart with a cutting/grinding wheel to try and repair with no successโ€ฆ, Good Luck!
Rick
2018 AF1140DB, 400W solar, Trimetric, Lifeline GPL-31XTโ€™s, rear deck,
2019 5500 Ram Crew, DRW, 6.7L-CTD, Custom TC bed, on board air, Front Rack

dhull
Explorer
Explorer
I bent one leg on ours and it wouldn't retract past a certain point. Bent the front leg by raising rear too far.

deserteagle56
Explorer II
Explorer II
ssthrd wrote:
Thanks NPJ. The inside of mine can't be much different than that. Time will tell.........

I took the Reico-Titan jacks on my 1996 Bigfoot apart a couple months ago and took some photos which you might find helpful. Posting pics on this site is such a pain that I'd rather not go through the procedure but if you'd like to see them, PM me. There are also some YouTube videos out there that may help.
1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Youโ€™re most likely on the right track. And being on the rear it sb easy to block up since itโ€™ll tripod anyway.
I had one jack lock up. And it was just rusty crusty on the screw mechanism.
Disassembling and clean and lube was all it needed.
Iโ€™m no expert but some jacks have little tricks to taking them apart. I recall making some tool or wire thing. Maybe yoo toob it first to save some head scratching and time.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks NPJ. The inside of mine can't be much different than that. Time will tell.........

NatParkJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help you specifically with rieco jacks.
I have happijac jacks. One of mine seized up last year, and was popping fuses when I tried to move up or down. I basically did what this video did to take mine apart, clean up all the rust, oil the moving parts, etc.

maybe this can get you in the right general direction?
youtube