cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Review of my TorkLift Stow 'N Go Steps

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
I just got the steps and am happy with them so sharing for those of interest.

I had been using a Giant Ladder before and while it did the job very well, it was sort of a hassle, lifting into and out of the camper, not to mention climbing up on the Fox step to get to the bumper to open the door while keeping a death grip on the ladder. It just fit on the floor and was cumbersome, but, it worked well.

I would off-set the ladder to allow the door to open without hitting me in the face. The concern was that I wouldn't be able to offset the steps as I had mistakenly thought they stored up 'On' the bumper and Camper Ladder would be in the way for an offset. No so. As you can see it's level with the bumper. Realizing that after the holes were drill, I might have moved it over an inch or three.

Install was pretty basic with the proper tools. Drill, bits and wrenches etc.
Looks like Torklift has supplied all parts needed for any install situation.

Basically, you just remove the stair bumper plate from the stairs, simple pins and I will get some locks for it later, put the plate where you want it, felt pen to mark the holes to be drilled and drill. The key is to make sure when you're placing the steps that you can open the door without being a hassle. As I said, I offset mine a little so the door won't 'Knock me off' the steps as with the ladder.

Next was installing the bolts, a little tricky to the clueless one that I am, but Torklift supplies ALL the parts needed, specifically the wire spring, apparently everyone knows about it but me, to drag the needed bolts along the inside of the bumper and through the holes. Push spring end through the hold, push it down the bumper (in this case) to where you can push the bolt into the spring end and pull back through the hole. Ingenious.. and it worked very well. Piece O'Cake.

Only issue we ran into was the support plates on the inside of the bumper. We drilled right next to the side of one, so when we put the big washers on the inside, it would catch on the plate and be an uneven setting. Also, in tightening them up, we had to hold the inside to allow tightening without turning, it was just the two on the side of the plates.

Then just re-attach the stairs with the quick pins, Voila' done.

The quick pins are great but I fear that the steps just might "Wander Off' so I would recommend the Locks. These steps are not cheap, quality rarely is, and all one would need is to get a back plate and the steps could easily find a new home. I"m not about to take them off each time I move, sort of defeats the purpose and ease of them, so suggest the locks and yes, if they really want them, they'll get them, but deters most.

The stairs work well. I had to admit that I was a little concerned on the possible "Wiggle" when using them. When I first looked at these, everyone was telling me re: steps in general, that they wiggle, aren't strong enough and eventually will break loose as in the middle of the steps. I tried one at Torklift they had one on display, three step? or so, and it felt strong, and I put it on the list of "Things to Get".

This is a 5-step, I have a high camper on the flatbed, works well. The Steps can be added or removed depending upon camper height needed.

Eval:
I've been using the steps for several days now, so this is an initial review before I adjust and get used to them. They appear to be excellent.
It's just matter of getting used to compared to the year and half I've been using the Giant Ladder.

Things I will probably ADD:
Boot Brush
Locks
Handrail - maybe. I have the Camper rail and I can grab it after the 1st two steps so might not use it.

They are very sturdy, just barely a wiggle which is to be expected, but hardly noticed unless looking for it. The bottom levelers could be the cause as I haven't adjusted them yet on uneven ground. Even without adjusting the bottom levelers, it's a sturdy step and I'm pushing, a-hem, apx 190lbs I'm told, so not a lightweight.

They are very easy to setup.
Unfold:
Just unhitch the rubber holds, pull out, set down. (Adjust the levelers as needed). Excellent for the restocking supplies into camper, like food etc at Wally World (WalMart) Quick N Easy.

Store:
Just lift the bottom step up to waist level, and push/walk it in and reattach the black rubber holds.

Done...

Pros:
Easy to use, in/out.
Very convenient, especially for quick stop use, markets, access, etc.
Easy Storage, just lift and push/pull. No dirt inside of camper.
Sturdy, like normal step only stronger.
Adjustable levelers on the bottom, very important for boondocking.
Able to ADD or Remove steps depending up need, don't have to buy a whole new set of steps.
Ribbed step to help prevent slipping in wet weather.
Glow tabs to see steps a night.
Lifetime Warranty.

Cons:
Levelers - just a little tricky to set properly
Steps - hard to tell which step is which when coming down. (I'll probably get some Black non-skid tape and put on the outer edges to help identify where one step ends to the next one.)

My Gallery photos here:
https://goo.gl/photos/yNAjYh5zRjbbpoTD9

Highly recommended. There apparently is a "Landing" to allow for the steps at an angle if you're towing a trailer at all..."
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website
9 REPLIES 9

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
The distance between the pivot holes and slots the resting pins set in of the bracket is slightly more than the distance of the steps corresponding pivot hole and mounted pin... if that makes sense. Causes the steps, if fully collapsed, to open a bit when rotated into bracket. I played with mine thinking I mis-assembled something before I started measuring.
The cable on the rear of steps to keep stairs from unfolding wouldn't address.
Actually if forcing to stay fully collapsed pins wouldn't go into bracket slots. I don't use cable with the Stow N' Go bracket.

If it takes that much force to fold suspect one or more of the pivot bolts too tight. I readjusted mine, never tried lube.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Avion, I just like to take pics and it saves "1000s of words" heheh..
I hate having to "Re-invent" the wheel.

Rutz, I just noticed that they were opening a little when folded up. Haven't taken a look see yet, I might have missed the strap or buckle that holds them up, seems there should be something and I just forgot to see/do it...

I would suspect there's a lube to allow easier opening/closing. I'll find out soon enough as I'm going boonie camping aka mud and dust and will see if things tighten up a bit... and what the solution will be..

Stay tuned... heheh,
One, A-hem, step at a time eh??? (pun intended)
Frank Poole
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
I love my glow steps with feet. I always had to prop up one side of my steps so now the feet do. The only thing I don't like is they are so hard to open and close. I have to put all my weight on it to open and close it. Is there a lubricant that can be used on them?

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
This has got to be one of the most thoughtful and careful equipment (mod) reports I have ever seen. Just the huge photo bank is remarkable.

My experience with the Glow Steps has been a bit uneven. The steps have had a tendency to seize up to such a degree that I find myself pushing them like I'm hitting a football practice sled back in high school. Jane can neither extend them nor stow them.

In addition, the small wire that held them in place frayed and the steps fell down while I was underway. No real serious damage, I just took off the bottom steps....but still. We go down the road with the steps wrapped in bungees... a bit of Beverley Hillbilly. So, these look like a real improvement including the black rubber stops.

Thanks for going to all the trouble to share this information.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yah, the Giant Step worked well and I still will carry it, but gotta say, the steps are pretty convenient when needing a quick stop step up... and especially when the back is high off the ground, slope...

The wider steps are nice, more room

The hand rail, I have from the camper and seems to work well as I can reach it after the 1st step so not sure the hand railing is needed at this point in time.. we'll see.. still trying to get used to it...

Yah, I like the ease of use, unpop and it's done..
kewl..
Frank Poole
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Good write up-
We recently installed the T/L Stow N' Go bracket and Landing Gear to our existing glowsteps. Having returned from a week out and using cant say enough about the ease of use.

Big benefit for us is a couple of years ago added T/L basement step that now can stay bolted in place. (bolts to bumper splitting the 14" between bumper and door sill). Previously removing scissor steps I also had to remove the basement step.

After 16 years of dragging stairs and step in & out of camper, setting up, or stopping on the road not having to use the flip over bumper step and setting up stool and dealing with the 3 steps up 4', just amazing.
Now its just pulling the rubber snubbers and presto. Utilizing the glowsteps on the road just too nice.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you got the wider steps.
I have the narrower and my 12 lb dogs occasionally fell between the steps.
I bought special carpeting for it at Camping World, what helps.
We do have ladder next to them, like you do, so it is good thing to grab, but I think the rail is in our future.
Not for me - I spend decades in construction and know how to keep the balance, but DW is not too happy.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and daughter both appreciate the Torklift hand rail.

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you like them. Everyone has their own likes and it's great when someone does a mod they are happy with. I started off with the Torklift steps and eventually removed them for a Giant Ladder, haha!
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800