cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing my linoleum.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Question, Does the gimp provide any other use except a nice trim look? Can I cut it off?
I'm removing my linoleum and laying a piece of Luan over the old piece of Luan with peel and stick tile over that. The old underlayment has become week in spots and I can see where the linoleum is stretching in the low spots. I think it will separate soon.

7 REPLIES 7

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
I used Pergo strips to cover the flooring. It gives some strength and is not very thick. Works well for me.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have sagging and soft areas, you may need to level the floor before adding another layer of ply.

Bedlam
Years ago, I used peel and stick floor tile in my toyhauler over worn and stained flooring. I made sure the old floor was clean and dry and then figured out the pattern to reduce the number tiles needed to be trimmed. It used caulk between floor and wall, so I did the same for a cleaner appearance at the transitions.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
joerg68 wrote:
Just putting something new on top of the old stuff may be the better approach.

When I had to remove the "linoleum" in my 2001 Lance, the stuff was quite nasty. There was some cardboard-like backing underneath the top coat which disintegrated when I tried to pull the flooring off. I had to scrape it off very painstakingly, and it took quite some time.

Of course the flooring in your newer camper could be different. If you try to take it out, maybe try in a hidden spot first.

Yeah, I kind of figured it was going to be a mess. I'm thinking I'll lay the new stuff rite on top and run some trim around the whole thing. I can see from the rear drawer opening the falling apart Styrofoam so I'm very sure no water intrusion. I would still have to lay an underlayment to get some rigidity and then the peal and paste tiles. I have a request into Lance about the schematic's for the floor joists and if any other problems will pop up. Other that the actual location of the aluminum floor I'm ready to go. Have you tried to buy a 4x8 Piece of Luan lately? Just insanity what they have done to our economy.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just putting something new on top of the old stuff may be the better approach.

When I had to remove the "linoleum" in my 2001 Lance, the stuff was quite nasty. There was some cardboard-like backing underneath the top coat which disintegrated when I tried to pull the flooring off. I had to scrape it off very painstakingly, and it took quite some time.

Of course the flooring in your newer camper could be different. If you try to take it out, maybe try in a hidden spot first.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimK-NY wrote:
notsobigjoe wrote:
I'm removing my linoleum and laying a piece of Luan over the old piece of Luan with peel and stick tile over that. The old underlayment has become week in spots and I can see where the linoleum is stretching in the low spots....

The floor should not become weak, sag or have any low spots. Putting down an additional layer of luan will not fix the problem. You need to determine the reason for the deterioration and fix it. I would be especially concerned about water intrusion.

Regarding the original question, that gimping is decorative without any structural purpose.

The floor is structural foam attached to aluminum framing. The structural foam has pretty much given out in spots where the aluminum framing was too wide. I saw this when I removed the bottom cover to search for my electrical short and had to clean up the crumbled Styrofoam. It was a poor design and I have seen others doing the same job to similar units over on LOA when I was a member.

I'm actually thinking about covering up the whole thing and not removing anything, it would only raise the floor 3/8 of an inch and only affect 1 piece of trim. Definitely going to take the easy way out for this one.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
notsobigjoe wrote:
I'm removing my linoleum and laying a piece of Luan over the old piece of Luan with peel and stick tile over that. The old underlayment has become week in spots and I can see where the linoleum is stretching in the low spots....

The floor should not become weak, sag or have any low spots. Putting down an additional layer of luan will not fix the problem. You need to determine the reason for the deterioration and fix it. I would be especially concerned about water intrusion.

Regarding the original question, that gimping is decorative without any structural purpose.