cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing built up sealant?

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
My current Rv is 7 years old now and I have added sealant to the seams over the years. Iโ€™m looking to remove a lot of the built of sealant next spring and lay down a new bead. Any recommendations? Itโ€™s a fiberglass rv and the sealant Iโ€™m taking about is on the vertical seams on the front cap.

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
EricCO wrote:
I've had good luck using these scrapers along with a heat gun.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/auto-body-trim/auto-body/4-piece-nonmarring-scraper-set-958...

Gotta get me some of them!
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

EricCO
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had good luck using these scrapers along with a heat gun.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/auto-body-trim/auto-body/4-piece-nonmarring-scraper-set-958...
2002 Ford F-350 CC LB PSD 2007 Travel Lite 960rx Ultra 2018 Keystone Cougar 29BHS

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
kellem wrote:
Actually own a heat gun with a low setting that does the trick.
I also tape off before reapplying Dicor.

I also use a heat gun on a "carefull setting". That means a low setting and keep the gun moving back and forth. I also took an 1-1/2" putty knife and rounded the corners substantially and the "edge" and use that to scrape up the old material. Works fine, I can clean it right down to the rubber and not do any damage to the rubber....or should I say "noticable damage" cause we really don't know what goes on when applying heat to anything. But I beleive there is a better chance of cutting or tearing the roof without heat. Dont be impatient or in a hurry
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Actually own a heat gun with a low setting that does the trick.
I also tape off before reapplying Dicor.

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
a good multi tool is best. Doing it by hand with a scraper or putty knife takes forever. I have a makita cordless multi tool and would never go back. Lay down some frogtape when you are ready for the new sealant. Makes cleanup and clean lines much easier/less sloppy

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Use the heat method....with the HAIR dryer not a heat gun.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had some success using plastic razor blades and DAP caulk remover in a tube. Use the blades before and after using the DAP. Use tape to protect adjacent areas from DAP/old sealant goo with towels handy. Also done this with only blades and no DAP. Some say mineral spirits will work also. Good luck

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Warming up the sealant with a hairdryer eases removal. Not your wifeโ€™s! Ten bucks on Amazon.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I used an oscillating tool with a blade on it. Be careful not to scratch the fiberglas with to much pressure. Then finish with a plastic putty knife and solvent.
Take your time.
Good luck.

WNYBob