cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reliance brake controller E2 code

etrippe
Explorer
Explorer
While towing in the rain, and while braking I noticed my trailer brakes cutting in and out. I eventually noticed a E2 code on the controller. Once home, I looked up the code and it’s for a short. Now it’s dry out, I hooked up the trailer and no code. I’ve towed in the rain other times and not had any issues, this was the first. Is this a sign of water getting into the 7 pin connector or what should I be looking at?
2 REPLIES 2

etrippe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply and I’m surprised that rain wasn’t the problem. There aren’t many places to inspect the wiring as this is an all new set up since June of this year. With only one season of camping this isn’t saying much for the set up.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
With only 12 volts present in the braking system, rain water doesn't conduct electricity well enough to cause a short circuit. (It's not a perfect electrical insulator, but it's a VERY poor conductor).

So, probably best not to completely rule out some other cause of the short.

Inspect the wiring, looking for any exposed connections that might be occasionally touching the trailer chassis, and for frayed insulation on the wires.