cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommend an electric brake controller

OttawaDon
Explorer
Explorer
I presently don't have an electric brake controller on my vehicle. The wiring harness that I'm going to install has a wire that will come under the dash to install a controller. I notice that there are different models that have different features.

Is there a preferred controller amongst the towing crowd?
7 REPLIES 7

Jerry9n
Explorer
Explorer
The Primus was mentioned. The newer version of this that shares the Prodigy platform is the Primus IQ. Same workings as the Prodigy except the display is limited and you can't mount it upside down. If you are on a budget, this will function as the P2 P3 series without the whistles and bells, but as has been said, once you get it set, you don't know the trailer is back there.

I had a Voyager which is pendulum based and while it worked well, it was just not real smooth. Changed it out for the Primus IQ and have been happy. The Primus IQ gets overlooked, probably because of the name and association with the old Primus series which was pendulum based.
Jerry9n
2009 23' Cikira Escape EXP
2006 Ford Expedition
Reese Pro Series SC
Tekonsha Primus IQ
HTT Mods

SommerWL
Explorer
Explorer
Prodigy P2 works great for me. Easy DIY install, too.
The Wife, Tres Boys, The Dog
'11 Suburban K1500
2013 Rockwood Roo 19

Hoosierdaddy47
Explorer
Explorer
The Prodigy P2 and P3 are pretty much the same inside; the P3 has a display screen that gives a lot of good feedback. As I say a lot, the only time I can't tell the camper's behind me is when I hit the brakes!
2004 Antigua 215 SB
2006 Durango Adventurer Hemi
Tekonsha Prodigy P3
DW-Indeterminate age
DD-16
DS-13
Olivia-Torkie
Balthazar-Italian Greyhound
Check my group (NOT page!) on Facebook-Hybrid Travel Trailer Camping

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
Prodigy,p3
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
one word: Prodigy!

a simple search on any RV forums would have shown this.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
The Tekonsha P3 is probably the most recommended controller, I use one also. Tekonsha has a new Primus but I know nothing about it.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Costello
Explorer
Explorer
I have been extremely satisfied with my Tekonsha Prodigy P3.
Clicky with reviews
2008 Flagstaff 26RLS by Forest River
2007 F150 King Ranch SuperCrew 5.4l
Equalizer Hitch, Tekonsha Prodigy P3