cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recharging vehicle AC Q

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
After 16 years, last year My AC started showing the classic signs of low charge (and for some reason it didn't get better over the winter...) so today I hooked up the gauges and charged it from a bulk R134 tank.
I got both the high and low pressures in spec but the high was just barely. It didn't seem like adding more R134 was going to do anything but raise the low pressure side but I could be wrong.

Question of those knowledgeable with these things; Was I not able to get the high side higher because the system needs to be put under a vacuum or rather, evacuated and recharged?

Everything is working fine and in-spec but I wonder if it could be better.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
11 REPLIES 11

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
colliehauler wrote:
You need to monitor the high pressure side as well. If it is to high the system is plugged and will blow the seals out of the compressor. Most self recharge kits only tell you the low side pressure.

I was all set to use one of those kits and after a lot more research, decided against it.
I can see using just the low side if your lucky and nothing else is going on. If your not lucky you just destroyed some expensive stuff. Since a set of gauges is only $30~$60, it doesn't make sense to me to cut corners.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
You need to monitor the high pressure side as well. If it is to high the system is plugged and will blow the seals out of the compressor. Most self recharge kits only tell you the low side pressure.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Beware of using temperature charts found on the web as they are generic at best.
I have found that specific FSM values for a given vehicle (like my Dodge) can be VERY different from those generic things. That could result in poor performance or damage.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Just got through replacing the fan clutch, compressor, drier, hoses, and condenser on my 06 Ford. My mechanic recommend discount A/C parts for the best price. They will not warranty a new compressor unless you replace the condenser and drier. There design prevents them from being flushed of any contaminates.

My system had all kinds of contaminates from the condenser failing.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
MegaCab_PL wrote:
I am watching this thread as I am facing similar issues on my 06 Explorer. I am not loosing the charge since it's blowing somewhat cold air. I tried to recharge it using those small tanks, but that did not help much. What should be the vent temperature when my settings are down to 60 F ?

They key is to charge it while keeping the low side pressure in manufacturer specs. The pressure is dependent upon ambient temps - I'm sure you can google to find the specs. Ideally you'd also want to keep an eye on the outlet temps as you charge it, too. If you overcharge it outlet temps will actually start to warm up.
Correct you have a certain capacity of the system undercharge or overcharge it will not work correctly. A lot of the time the problem is the fan clutch on the engine is shot not bringing enough air through to work properly.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
MegaCab_PL wrote:
I am watching this thread as I am facing similar issues on my 06 Explorer. I am not loosing the charge since it's blowing somewhat cold air. I tried to recharge it using those small tanks, but that did not help much. What should be the vent temperature when my settings are down to 60 F ?

They key is to charge it while keeping the low side pressure in manufacturer specs. The pressure is dependent upon ambient temps - I'm sure you can google to find the specs. Ideally you'd also want to keep an eye on the outlet temps as you charge it, too. If you overcharge it outlet temps will actually start to warm up.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't worry about it with those outlet temps. You only need to vacuum it down if the system has been opened up.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Thats a acceptible vent temp i wouldnt worry about it

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
newman fulltimer wrote:

On a bulk tank did u flip the tank upside down to fill as suppose to do

Well of course I did, or at least I did when I tried to purge the charge line with the tank in the wrong position and then remembered I had to turn it over. :B

I'm probably concerned about nothing. The outside temp was 77~79 degrees and all the vents were blowing at 40~41 degrees.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
One of two things either the high pressure limit switch isclogged orthe dryer needs replaced are the common causes i know of. Vacuming down would help removeany moisture orcontaminates

On a bulk tank did u flip the tank upside down to fill as suppose to do