cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recall of 19/20 Ram Cummins 6.7 diesels

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
It seems like Ram wants to rid themselves of the Bosch 4.2 injection pump!

Recall notice
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"
36 REPLIES 36

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't the Bosch pump used in most of the 3.0 diesels? Are they immune from these problems for some reason?
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Devo the dog wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

Recall notice

I bet it'll take years for ram to replace them.

I am betting decades.

At least 27 years
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Devo the dog wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

Recall notice

I am betting decades.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thought it was odd that Ram went to that pump, after having resisted it for years. I'm quite happy with my 2015 DEF Ram. Hope that GM has success with their Denso and the Big 3 are able to find a quality replacement.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Here's probably the motivation for the change.

Link

I will say that cummins implementation of the CP4.2 asymmetrical pump was a disaster and not sure why this was required, but may have something to do with the fuel pulses/load on the pump with the 6 cylinder firing order setup. Anyways it just shows any manufacturer can implement a change that wasn't tested thoroughly and it backfired on them.

So Ford doesnโ€™t have any loos of power issues with the CP4.2??

I didn't say that. I'm sure there has been and lawsuits that followed.

There is a member here that I while back stated that cummins doesn't make changes by implementing new technology fast and lets the other brands be the guinea pig before switching over and now we know cummins implementation of the CP4.2 has been terrible which discredits his statement.

LOL, they still have a much better track record than the blue oval with overall diesel reliability. The 6.0L, 6.4L, and now who knows how many versions of the 6.7L now speak volumes. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ford builds a beautiful truck but their track record on diesels since the 7.3L has been pretty sketchy. I don't miss cleaning up dripped oil on my garage floor and being nervous about taking road trips one bit since making the switch to Ram/Cummins!

When your truck reaches 225k miles let's talk. My truck currently has 228k miles and the engine hasn't been touched including water pumps.

I believe the 6.7 cummins is now at a Gen 3 including those hydraulic lifters that don't like 15W40 oil. :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
...Don't know anyone who has the LP5 but I heard they were having injector problems.

I have driven multiple LP5s, and my daughter owns one with more than 20k miles. We have not had any injector problems.

Amazing how we want to spread information on the other brands.

And by the way, if you see my 23 year old daughter filling her 3500 Denali, don't tell her that her dad has a nice truck. Her hard-work nursing and farming allows her to own that truck.

I've read on FTE a few people who traded their GM on a Ford truck (hence the reason for being on FTE) due to injector issues. It could be fixed by now but not sure.

Here's some more information

Link

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"What a shame that a long respected company like Bosch turns into a company like this"

Agreed.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
It starts in January. Ram stepped up before the NHsTA got involved, with a service solution in the works. Before it was announced the nhsta got involved and here we are. How ford is not also involved is beyond me. They lose CP4โ€™s like a wimpy kid loses his lunch money.
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

Recall notice

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
...Don't know anyone who has the LP5 but I heard they were having injector problems.

I have driven multiple LP5s, and my daughter owns one with more than 20k miles. We have not had any injector problems.

Amazing how we want to spread information on the other brands.

And by the way, if you see my 23 year old daughter filling her 3500 Denali, don't tell her that her dad has a nice truck. Her hard-work nursing and farming allows her to own that truck.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Link

I will say that cummins implementation of the CP4.2 asymmetrical pump was a disaster and not sure why this was required, but may have something to do with the fuel pulses/load on the pump with the 6 cylinder firing order setup. Anyways it just shows any manufacturer can implement a change that wasn't tested thoroughly and it backfired on them.

There is a member here that I while back stated that cummins doesn't make changes by implementing new technology fast and lets the other brands be the guinea pig before switching over and now we know cummins implementation of the CP4.2 has been terrible which discredits his statement.

LOL, they still have a much better track record than the blue oval with overall diesel reliability. The 6.0L, 6.4L, and now who knows how many versions of the 6.7L now speak volumes. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ford builds a beautiful truck but their track record on diesels since the 7.3L has been pretty sketchy. I don't miss cleaning up dripped oil on my garage floor and being nervous about taking road trips one bit since making the switch to Ram/Cummins!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Dumb choice to ever switch to the CP4 but at least they're trying to make it right. It's baffling to me that Ford hasn't gone to something else yet.

x2. I've read of several new Fords with HPFP failure so as much as the situation appears to be better, it's still there.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Link

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ksss wrote:
It really was surprising that they went with CP4. They clearly saw the issues Ford and GM were having running that pump when they were running the CP3.

The CP4.2 pump doesn't like air in the system especially when you change the filters. Not having a lift pump was a big mistake with GM's implementation. I believe they have one now.

They also switched to the Denseo pump.

Don't know anyone who has the LP5 but I heard they were having injector problems.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:

Link

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"