Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear Kitchen - good idea or bad idea?

Lonnie07
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I am very interested in the Highland Ridge Open Range 2804RK, so I asked my local dealer about it. He said that Open Range has discontinued this model because rear kitchens take a beating during towing due to the bounce effect.

This was surprising since I still see it this model on the Highland Ridge website, but whatever - there are some used ones available, so I thought I’d check here.

Can people with rear kitchens please comment? Do you love your RK? Hate it?

Thank you!
23 REPLIES 23

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
kellem wrote:
Your local dealer is a fruit cake as he/she wants you to buy what floorplan they have in stock.
Get the trailer you desire and suits your needs.

I actually left a solo cup of wine in the rear of our 30 ft trailer and found it sitting upright apon arriving home.

Come to think of it, I left a glass coffee pot on the counter back there and it was still sitting there when we got home.
The wheel position of a trailer is not like a vehicle so I suspect that's why it isn't as bad as a bus or van.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We really liked our RK alpenlite it was perfect for our 19 winters in Az. Now we have a not so perfect TT for maybe our last winter season coming up. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
The back seat in a bus is the roughest ride. Do you want windows looking out the back or out the left into your neighbors site? Kitchens are the heaviest part of a unit. Best over axles.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2005 Trail Cruiser 27 RKS, (rear kitchen slide). Got lots of miles on it, no problem with any part of the kitchen, we love it, best place for it. That salesman is nuts.

Note, our personal facts at the bottom of this post are wrong, we no longer have the 26 foot Trail Cruiser, but I don't know how to change it. Note, also we got rid of the 26 footer and bought the same year 27 because we liked the rear kitchen and floor plan so much better. The 27 has a rear entry right thru the kitchen, saves lots of room in the rest of the TT. Makes it seem so much bigger. Also like it cause it weighs only 4100 lbs partially loaded. Pretty good for a 27' 11" trailer.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 3X388RKS (rear kitchen). I have not seen the results of excessive bouncing in the cabinets, just normal stuff. My bigger concern is it's hard to get to with all the slides in.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
If a rear kitchen is what you want, go ahead and get one. We know several folks that have rear kitchens and have no issues with them, it's what they want and like.

IMHO the dealer is trying to sell you what he has on the lot, not what you want.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Your local dealer is a fruit cake as he/she wants you to buy what floorplan they have in stock.
Get the trailer you desire and suits your needs.

I actually left a solo cup of wine in the rear of our 30 ft trailer and found it sitting upright apon arriving home.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Although I have not had a rear kitchen, I really like to have my big window there, and chairs to look out from. I enjoy being on the outside edge of a campsite, and looking away, rather than sideways.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Our last trailer had a RK, new one has mid kitchen. We see no difference at all in how much things move around and we would happily get another rear kitchen if the rest of the floor plan met our needs.