Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Range Rover sport towing questions

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all
I’ve been using the 2010 Range Rover sport as a tow vehicle and looking at the below new trailer, I’ll drop one gas bottle to come under the tonnage weight and run it pretty empty.
I will get the fluids changed including transmission, I was lookin at a weight distribution hitch but have read some saying yes and some saying no so any input appreciated.

Questions
1. Am I within weight for towing any experience yourselves
2. Fluid change inc transmission is it needed ?
3.anti sway vs weight distribution with air suspension on the Range Rover and the manual suggests don’t use one due to the additional weight on the hitch
4.hitch tonnage 550lbs max vs 597 lbs listed on the trailer
thanks

Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
2020 Vanleigh Pinecrest 392MBP
B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ford Super Duty Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
ITEM # BWRVK3305
11 REPLIES 11

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I've ridden in that era RR Sport and they're fast, but not what I'd be wanting to tow more than maybe 5klbs with (subjectively). Mostly due to the fact that the maint/repairs/complexity is not conducive to higher duty cycle on the chassis components.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Marty Wade, always appreciate the great advise, I’m attaching a new manufacture I found with lower gvwr and hitch let me know your thoughts

Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ford Super Duty Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
ITEM # BWRVK3305

Wade44
Explorer
Explorer
tourusa wrote:
Thanks for your input all makes sense, will start the hunt for ultra lights and less features lower hitch weight also as suggested , I’ve had the side wind in a class c so would like to avoid tail wagging the dog with side wind.

A Grand Design Imagine 2500RL can not be considered a "heavyweight". The simple fact is when a manufacturer specifically uses the term "ultralight" its nothing more than a marketing buzzword, not unlike the use of the term "quality craftsmanship". I could list dozens of supposed Ultralight designated models from different manufacturers that are smaller and heavier than the GD Imagine 2500RL. Grand Design is not built using any heavier or better materials than any other manufacturers models that are called ultralight, superlite, or anything else. If you want that size range of a trailer, you're not going to get around how much it weighs with a word or two on a brochure or website.
2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon

blt2ski
The hw% is very common in Europe. In north America, 10-15% is more common. Then again, generally speaking, you only tow in the 40-50 mph relm in Europe, here folks go 70 if the can, legal or not.
While I feel you could tow a 7000 lb trailer. With out knowing a bit more about everything, not going to put my foot in my mouth and say good or bad.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your input all makes sense, will start the hunt for ultra lights and less features lower hitch weight also as suggested , I’ve had the side wind in a class c so would like to avoid tail wagging the dog with side wind.
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The towing capacity of a 2010 Range Rover Sport is 7,716lbs (3500Kg), WHEN PROPERLY EQUIPPED.

Yours is not properly equipped, if the manual is telling you using a weight distributing hitch is not recommended, and the limit of the hitch is only 550lbs.

Removing weight from the trailer tongue is a BAD idea. Tongue weight equals stability. 10% is the bare minimum, and most conventional travel trailers are BARELY stable at that. A 5997lb trailer with only 550lb of tongue weight is likely to tow poorly. Even if it doesn't tow poorly initially, wind, passing semis/buses, rough road could set them into an unrecoverable sway event. This can happen with any trailer, true, but you are handicapping yourself by making the tongue light, greatly increasing your chance of experiencing trouble.

Try to find a lighter, smaller trailer better suited for your vehicle. Something in the 3500-5000lb GVWR range will be much more pleasant to tow. You will need to compromise on features and space, but you will be camping.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
I’m in agreement with the wheel base and the tonnage on the hitch doesn’t give a 15 percent of the engineers fudged the figures. Any thoughts max length you would go to with this Range Rover had an 18ft and was an easy tow along
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all

These are the specs,

Additionally I was going to fit a Hayes sway master due to as you suggest length is high

Specifications:
Original equipment # LR040248
2-inch trailer hitch receiver, quick-release design
Class III rating
7,716 lbs. trailer load capacity
550 lbs. tongue weight capacity.

Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

shades9323
Explorer
Explorer
Way to big (especially length) for a Range Rover Sport.

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
Is that 550# tongue rating weight carrying or weight distribution?

That listed tongue weight is 10% of the trailer unloaded weight. My tongue weights have never been that low of a percentage and actually have been closer to 15%. As you load the trailer with supplies and get to a realistic tongue weight you will be over your hitch rating.

What confidence do you have in the Range Rover engineers that they didn’t cheat on the hitch factor of safety?

Your vehicle obviously has the power to tow, not sure if it has the payload, capacities and wheelbase to tow something that long and heavy.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Look for the towing and CCC on the door jamb of the Range Rover. I think you already know the answer if dropping one propane tank will get you wirhin limits.