cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 1500 owners (current gen) come on in!

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
So we are looking for a new family around town truck. We have the big, bad, and built 3/4ton ‘Burban for towing.

Just want a 1/2 ton for kicking around town, carrying water toys, gravel, construction stuff, and motos, Very seriously considered the Raptor, but the short, short bed makes it kind of useless for our purposes.

I am liking the Ram. I really like the 5.7, And the incentives are serious right now, so they are coming in about $5gs less than a comparably equipped F150.

We rented one during our last vacation for ten days, and really like the Ram. The rotary shift is stupid, but I got used to it.

So the questions. Anything anybody absolutely hates about their Ram 1/2 ton?

And (I want to be careful here, so as to not fire anybody up)

Why does the F150 have listed payload ratings that seem to be much higher?

Anything else I should know about the Ram? We are looking at CrewCab, 5.9, leather, big tank, etc... oh and my girls really dig the front bench seats. 🙂
40 REPLIES 40

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I like mine quite a lot. I've upgraded the rear springs significantly. It rides a little more truck like but still very pleasant. No complaints from this guy. The 5.7 mated to the 8 speed is very smooth and responsive. Mine is a 2015 Laramie, and as such has a chrome trim ring on the center console that blinded me in bright daylight. I plastidipped it in flat black over a year ago, with still perfect results. Great truck!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife's driver is a 15 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn, it is equiped with 4 corner air ride, it rides like a dream, gets 22 mpg at 80 mph on the interstate. She absolutely loves it.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
If the '19 Rams have some badging on the hood (like where the D-max name is on GM's), that is a sharp looking truck.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Well since the man said he has a tow vehicle and is looking for something to haul the Family around in payload is not an issue for him.

Of all of the trucks out there the Ram has the best ride bar none! The 2019 is even better but is only available with the 5.7 or 5.7E the 3.6 V6 and the 3.0 diesel will not come on line tell later. The V6 gas should be coming out very soon with the diesel early spring.

As for the old body style, I love the ride and comfort of this truck. I have 60K on her now and we have been to Florida six times, New Orleans twice and we go to Knoxville at least two times a year. My wife has a 300S and she would rather take the truck over her car!

Don

Oh BTW I had a pool installed and hauled five loads of sand four weighing 2000# or a little better without any issues at all. Two loads were with a Hemi equipped truck, my Ecodiesel hauled it's three loads just as well as the big ole thirsty V8 did.
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
Love my 17 ecodiesel!! Got a great deal on it, averaging 25 + hauling,everyday driving,towing and highway. Tows the 24 foot trailer well, and halls anything I can put in the back just fine! Rides 10 times better and is so much quieter than my 2014 silverado ever thought of being! Love the truck! Good luck on your decision. Bill

smurfs_of_war
Explorer
Explorer
My only complaints were the OEM rubber and cruddy shocks. I think all of them suffer from that though. The coils were great. Way better in my opinion than the previous leaf trucks I had. I liked them so much they are under my 2500 too.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
This is a forum about RVing, you're going to get plenty more payload complaints.

On mine, the factory tires were shot after 32k miles. They were Goodyear silent armor pro, 17", e rated.

Truck did well in a straight line in mud and deep slush, was a bit squirrelly on slippery corners.

I had the knob and electronic transfer case, but not the automatic transfer case. I miss that feature from the Sierra I owned way back. So you could turn on 4wd but it's on all the time. Get the automatic transfer case if possible.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
OK. Got it. Check. .makes sense. Let’s get past the payload thing. Please.

What about the truck itself? Anything that owners hate about it, that is not apparent during a test drive or usual research?

For an around town truck, it really seems to check all the boxes.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Ram 1500s have generally the lowest payload capacities vs the other brands, mostly due to the coil springs.
But Dodge supposedly have addressed this in their 2019 line, by increasing payload capacities.
So check the payload capacity sticker on whatever Ram 1500 you look at, since you're going to be using for heavy loads.
But if you add bling, you'll lose payload. Those fancy trim levels add weight.

X2 on this. My previous Ram 1500 was a blinged out Outdoorsman and the payload was terrible, barely over 1000#

Very nice ride though, a showy grocery getter that could tow my little trailer if I took it easy on toys in the bed.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Ram 1500s have generally the lowest payload capacities vs the other brands, mostly due to the coil springs.
But Dodge supposedly have addressed this in their 2019 line, by increasing payload capacities.
So check the payload capacity sticker on whatever Ram 1500 you look at, since you're going to be using for heavy loads.
But if you add bling, you'll lose payload. Those fancy trim levels add weight.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
The F150 uses traditional leaf springs with shocks on the outside of the frame. The ram uses coil springs mounted on the inside of the frame that requires the use of a stabilizer bar to control roll to some extent.

Also ram is still producing the old body style truck which I'm sure they're using to provide serious discounts on.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"