cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Lazy" Yellow Flame Atwood Water Heater

Lovedays
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Atwood Gas/Electric water heater model number GC6AA-10E.
I was working on getting the trailer ready to go camping and tried lighting the water heater. The first time I tried lighting it, the DSI FLT indicator light came on.
I shut it off and tried again and it sounded like it only tried once to light but I didn't hear the normal sound of it running.
I went outside to check it and there was a "lazy" yellow flame and black smoke coming out of the vent.
I tried once more turning it on and off and it lit again but was a "lazy" yellow flame again.
The stove works fine on gas and so does the fridge, it appears to be a problem with the water heater and not the gas supply.

We're planning on going camping on Monday, is this fixable before then? If not can I use the water heater on electric? I didn't try it today to see if it would heat on electric.

Thanks for your help!

2009 Jayco Jay Flight G2 29BHS
2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab
11 REPLIES 11

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a Black Widow Spider nest to me. Be careful around that.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I see it. It looks like a part of the tube, kind of a shadow, in the picture. Some sort of spider I suppose. Funny the places they decide to build a web.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Lovedays
Explorer
Explorer
I took it apart as instructed and found some kind of web or nest. It was white and very fine and delicate to touch, it was suspended at the bend blocking most of the tube. I don't know if you can really see it in the picture.

I cleaned everything and put it back together and it the heater is running perfectly now. Thanks for all the help!

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
mooky stinks wrote:
There are some nice You-Tube videos on this subject also. Nice to see it done before you try it.

I like to do this too. You-Tube can be a helpful resource.

I also have had some luck banging in the burner tube with a pair of pliers. Then blowing through it with a straw. Don't hit it too hard, and don't hit anything with electronics in it.

Remember I'm a Caveman and you might want to take this last advice with a grain of salt. What works for us Cavemen is not always a recommended procedure.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Red-Rover wrote:
I had the same thing, some time ago, and the cause was a collection of dead Asian beetles (lady bugs). We were in a remote location at the time so I used a soda straw to blow out the burner tube then compressed air when I got home.

Ya, this is a easy thing to try.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
There are some nice You-Tube videos on this subject also. Nice to see it done before you try it.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

Lovedays
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you for such quick, helpful responses! I can't work on it today due to DD birthday dinner but I should be able to do it tomorrow. Francesca Knowles, you are a better Googler than me, I couldn't find anything! Old-Biscuit and westend, thanks for your expert advice. I'll let you know if I get it to work.

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same thing, some time ago, and the cause was a collection of dead Asian beetles (lady bugs). We were in a remote location at the time so I used a soda straw to blow out the burner tube then compressed air when I got home.
2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Yellow flame usually indicates incorrect fuel-oxygen mixture. In most cases it is the burner tube clogged with insect debris like spider webs. You can try removing the tube and blowing it out or pull a rag through with a wire or coat hanger.

Edit: OB, the resident gas guru beat me to it. Nice play OB.:)
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to clean the gas orifice.
Remove burner tube.....clean it by running a bottle brush thru it.
Remove orifice (unscrews from gas valve) and clean it with alcohol.
Clean up the spark electrode with 400 grit sandpaper to remove carbon/soot

Reassemble.

Fire it up. Main flame should be blue with just tinge of yellow at tip.
Adjust air shuttle if needed.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Could just be low gas pressure/air in the line...first thing I'd try is to turn off propane at tank, then turn it back on very slowly until valve is all the way open. Then go inside and light a stovetop burner, letting it burn long enough to insure that there's a full flow of gas. Then try lighting W/H again.

If that doesn't do any good:

Scroll down the Atwood gas/electric W/H page at this link and you'll see a section marked "Erratic Burner Flame or sooting". It gives a number of other possible causes.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien