cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quick release gas prop for door

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, my Bigfoot has the gas prop for the rear door which holds it 90 degrees to the rest of the world. In the midwest this makes a good sail. I like the convenience of the gas prop but would also like to unhook this for the conventional door latch that holds the door open almost 180 degrees via the hook and keeper system. With the awning the hook has to be longer but there is one available.

Anyone come up with a quick release for the gas prop vs. having the wind tear it off?
17 REPLIES 17

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
Another source for ball joint quick disconnects is Midwest Control Products. They have a wide variety of other linkages as well.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Finished the repair and upgrade today. The rod ends I linked above are not quick release as purchased, since a pry tool is needed to raise the locking cap and to remove the rod end from the stud. So I threw away the locking caps and used a 3/8 drill bit to widen the rest. I can pop it on and off by hand now. The door catch is working great.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks. The pictures led me astray. It's now on order, with the other going back.

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
RVDesigner. E226

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
So who makes the 6" stainless T catch with springs? The one I ordered that arrived today swings freely. After searching more, I see a 5.1" but not a 6". Got a brand or link? Thanks.

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:
6" stainless is what I chose also. I'll just need to make sure to close the door a bit before extending the awning.

ooh yeah. That would be a bummer.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
6" stainless is what I chose also. I'll just need to make sure to close the door a bit before extending the awning.

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
I got the T stop installed to hold the door open. 6" works about right to keep the door away from the awning support. I initially purchased a zinc plated piece but switched out to the stainless, same brand but the stainless for $6-7 more is spring loaded on both parts. And I through bolted with an aluminum plate on the inside of the door instead of using the screws into the fiberglass. Good to go.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
I'm going to try this one:

https://www.amazon.com/3215991-LIFT-FITTING-FILLED-SPRING/dp/B002IV6OJK/ref=pd_cart_vw_crc_1_1/141-6...

It fits the 6mm shaft. Ordered a door catch as well.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Funny our Arctic Fox has that stiff hinge that lets you open it any amount. Wind will easily blow it out of your hand. I have almost missed the gas strut at times. LOL
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Very timely for me. The 90 degree was a problem right away, so I moved the mount on the door slightly to make it wider. This worked until I reached past two dogs to open the door in Snake River wind. The door got away from me and broke the coupler on the strut and bending the brackets. Had to use a bungee for the rest of the trip, but the 180 opening was nice when assisting my elderly dog down the stairs. Quick release would be an improvement. Break away would be even better.

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
And another option would be to massage the oem balls with a hand grinder or similar to fit the mcmaster parts.

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
It works! The mcmaster part number is a workable solution. The ball is different so you have to modify the mountings to use it. It is zinc chromated so should be no problem with rust, the description says steel and I was thinking it was bare. The mounting on the door with the factory bracket is really not very strong. It is held on with two screws through the thin bottom aluminum trim on the door. I used a longer aluminum plate and riveted it to the bottom of the door so enough extended out from the width to attach the ball. The ball studs on the mcmaster parts are longer then needed, so cut or relieve.

There is another option, 10mm Quick Release Spring for Gas Strut RV Trailer Camper (KEF-10-110-QR), but I inquired and the lady said it works for both 6mm and 8mm, how I don't know, so enter at your own risk.

Drilling the balls off the OEM mounting brackets is easy, the metal is pretty soft.

JRJR
Explorer
Explorer
I need the same thing for a N. Lite. Hate the door only being halfway open.