cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question around Cold Temps

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a late camper...last trip is always Thanksgiving. We're heading out this weekend to camp and I noticed that Wednesday and Thursday it's getting below freezing; we live in NW Arkansas. My TT is in an outside storage area; no hookups; and I live in a HOA neighborhood that allows campers for a max of 24hrs. I can't see Thursday's hourly forecast, but Wednesday it hits 30 degrees at 4a-5a, and then 28 degrees from 7-8a. It starts going up from there. Not sure what Thursday night will bring, but plan to have the camper at my house then. Should I be fine on Wednesday?

Heating wise...would I be okay to run my electric fireplace and space heaters versus the propane heater? Will the electric heaters keep the lines from freezing that go along the underbelly (that is protected)?
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)
15 REPLIES 15

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
While camping I use a heat lamp under the trailer. Clamp close to outside of body, shine at the exposed line from tank to inside camper. If it is windy, I use my TV sunglasses (the thing put reduce sun inside) to slow the wind.
Another hint; That woven looking anti-slide stuff they sell to line cabinets and drawers? Get a roll of that for the floor. Much warmer to step on, thin enough the doors open over it.

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
librty02 wrote:
If temps are only dipping below freezing for 6 to 8 hours and above freezing the rest of the day I would not concern myself with it. I have never winterized any of my trailers until temps are consistently around freezing or below for 24 hour periods and I have never had an issue.
+1

Unless you are in prolonged temps at or below freezing, you will be fine.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Does the electric space heater and electric fireplace warm the tanks? Gee, thereโ€™s your answer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

At 28 f freeze up is not an issue. If it gets to 22 f--expect to run the propane furnace.

I'd have no qualms doing 100% electric at 28 f, so long as those are the night time lows.

If you plan on lots of winter camping, replace the cold air return grill with a set of twin window fans.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Second Chance wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I would plan to run the propane furnace. Add one space heater max or the run the fireplace if you want to reduce propane use.
But... if you do this, make sure the main thermostat is set high enough - and the electric heaters low enough - that the electric heaters don't prevent the main furnace from cycling.

Rob
I agree. And in my experience camping in near freezing conditions... a single (as I recommended) electric heater will not stop the furnace from cycling.

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
If temps are only dipping below freezing for 6 to 8 hours and above freezing the rest of the day I would not concern myself with it. I have never winterized any of my trailers until temps are consistently around freezing or below for 24 hour periods and I have never had an issue.
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
At temps like that we set our thermostat to 40 so that when it kicks on it will heat the basement as the heater is vented there. We use our catalytic heater inside. If we have electricity, we run a space heater and the fireplace, at night we leave the bathroom cabinet and kitchen sink cabinet open.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Zingerlite. What are the temps in the day? If the temp rises to above freezing then you should be OK. Most of the water lines are in floor, walls, or cabinets so there enough warmth to keep them from freezing solid to the point of damage at the temps and time youโ€™ve indicated. A prolonged and/or hard freeze is a totally different ball game. I wouldnโ€™t do anything and sleep well at night.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
I think if the temp outside only dips for an hour or so i wouldn't worry too much. blowing the lines out wouldn't hurt. id start to worry more if the temps dipped below freezing during the day. your camper would hold the warmer temps for a few hours.

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, mine is 4 season as well. I may blow out the lines after this trip so I don't freak out if it gets below freezing. The only issue is that I have a residential fridge with Ice Maker...makes it more difficult that way
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Many newer trailers that are rated 3 or 4 season models, and have an enclosed/insulated under belly, also have a furnace duct that dumps into the belly/tank area. Mine does, and the furnace is obviously needed to get this heat where needed.

Jerry

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
We are late season campers like you. Better safe than sorry. I can winterize my rig in 12 minutes and do often during this time of year. I use compressed air and anti freeze down the shower trap.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
I would plan to run the propane furnace. Add one space heater max or the run the fireplace if you want to reduce propane use.

But... if you do this, make sure the main thermostat is set high enough - and the electric heaters low enough - that the electric heaters don't prevent the main furnace from cycling.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II