cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quarantine Mods?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™m behind on projects in general, but Iโ€™m wondering what others have been doing to work on their TC/truck. Obviously, not many campgrounds are open.

I really, really need to put a small inverter near where we watch tv in the rare times we watch. I should probably also clean up the ease of use to switch to my 2000 watt inverter.

Still need to replace my microwave or go with a convection. I moved the previous one into the downstairs since I have a longish term houseguest and the door really opened the wrong direction.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
36 REPLIES 36

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
NRALIFR wrote:
Jim, I almost forgot :W

You know how to fix that height problem with your shed, right?

Pour money on it and watch it grow!

:):)

True! ๐Ÿ˜„

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
NRALIFR, looks good. Fortunately, I had a large shed already on my property that I bought, but unfortunately, itโ€™s not quite tall enough to put my TC in even though there is plenty of floor space. Iโ€™m jealous.

Jim, I almost forgot :W

You know how to fix that height problem with your shed, right?

Pour money on it and watch it grow!

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for extra picture.
In my remodeling years I learned that there is not such thing as too big drip edge, or too big roof overhang.
House sidings are not really design and usually are not build to withstand water running on it, while stucco suppose to have solid membranes, when sad truth is that inspectors neglect checking it and new home buyer, when 3 years warranty expires will have rain with heavy winds only to find that not-visible membrane has holes and gaps in it.
Bottom line, I made enough money fixing builders screw-up to call it "industry standard"
I semi-retired 3 years ago and bought nice house on foreclosure. Not only house required some fixing, but I add swimming pool and dozens of our own designs.
So 3 years passed (with few long vacations on the way) and my TD list is still having some items waiting on it.
So right, retirement is very busy time.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both. I always appreciate comments from those who did this for a living. Iโ€™m just an amateur sawdust maker, whoโ€™s time is worth absolutely nothing now that Iโ€™m retired.

You canโ€™t see it in the final image, but there is a drip rail over the door sitting on top of the dark green trim board. I just duplicated the type of window stool thatโ€™s under all the exterior windows on the house.

And yes, the boss and I are very blessed. Sheโ€™s working from home, and I stay busy almost every day doing the things I truly enjoy.

Since Iโ€™ve only been retired two years now, people are still asking me โ€œSo, howโ€™s retirement?โ€ I always answer โ€œIโ€™ve never worked so hard!โ€

And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Solid work, but I still would install drip edge over the door.
I think in those days people who can find hobby are blessed, not mentioning improving their lives, don't you think so?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
NRALIFR, looks good. Fortunately, I had a large shed already on my property that I bought, but unfortunately, itโ€™s not quite tall enough to put my TC in even though there is plenty of floor space. Iโ€™m jealous.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Havenโ€™t done anything to the TC or truck, but I did just finish a project in the RV bay of my garage that Iโ€™d been wanting to do for a few years.

The garage is a combined 30x30 2-car bay with a normal height ceiling, and a 30x30 bay with a 16โ€™ ceiling next to it for the truck and camper. Itโ€™s built on a hillside, so the floor of the RV bay is 7โ€™ lower than the car bay. When we built it about 7 years ago, there was supposed to be a โ€œman-doorโ€ in this wall of the lower bay. There are also two man-doors in the upper bay, but the block mason that laid the cinderblocks either forgot or didnโ€™t understand what I wanted here. Rather than call him back, I pressed on with the build because I really wasnโ€™t sure about the placement of that door anyway.

After living and working in the garage for a few years, Iโ€™m kinda glad that door got left out because thatโ€™s NOT where it would do me the most good. For convenience, I really need a way to enter and exit the lower bay that doesnโ€™t require raising the garage door, or using the man-doors in the upper bay. But, where it needs to be is in this wall, directly behind where the camper is parked.

So I started working on that about 4-5 weeks ago. I cut a couple of studs out, put a header in, and had to move an electric circuit up over the new opening. This isnโ€™t a primary entry door, and there will be no way to open it from the outside (non-destructively that is), so Iโ€™m not going to cut an opening in the cinderblocks. The door opening is 6โ€™6โ€ high, so thereโ€™s plenty of headroom even if you step on the threshold.

The โ€œskinโ€ of the garage is actually a layer of OSB, a layer of foam insulation, and a layer of reverse board and batten siding that I knew was going to be heavy once I cut it out. I put the interior 2x4โ€™s on, then secured them all to the studs on each side with some temporary stops. I located the corners of the opening by drilling through the siding from the inside with a long skinny drill bit. Then I cut the siding from the outside with a Skillsaw, put on the exterior trim and the hinges, then came inside and took the stops out and kicked the door open. Ta Da!

Iโ€™ve since installed some handles and latches on the inside, and painted the outside.

I put on an RV style door catch to hold it open, and Iโ€™ve ordered a side-rolling, retractable screen door since I donโ€™t have room for door swing on the inside.

There, fixed it!

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replacing the 2 way fridge in our camper. 8 cubic foot Dometic will not fit through the door so I removed the back window. It had been plugged into shore power with the fridge running when I discovered some yellow fluid stains across the floor. I called a local tech who came out and declared it dead and a 3 person job to get it replaced.
Got it out myself by building a light frame of 2x 2 with plywood top and bottom set about 37" tall. Put a beach towel on the floor, slid the wood gurney through the window opening and tipped the fridge out. Very tight! Replacement should be here next week.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
But what I really ought to do is load that thang up and go to Montana.

Just fyi, we have a 14 day quarantine for those entering MT.

Is the quarantine giving you the best spots at the lakes?
Lot of states lower the restrictions today. Since my Sprinter is ready to operate and with today's fuel prices I can make it to East cost for about $150, I am eager to try it.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
TxGearhead wrote:

Just fyi, we have a 14 day quarantine for those entering MT.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I was sitting on the back porch sipping bourbon and looked over at the Bigfoot in my "boat/RVjunkyard". The Classic Accessories cover was flopping in the breeze. I'm thinking I need to have the rear awning fabric replaced. I have the fabric (from Shadepro) but just can't seem to call the RV shop for an appointment. I should clean the hot water heater burner. I assume that is why I have soot on the camper side above it. Yeah, I've tinkered with the gas/air mixture.I should pull the jacks down and clean and grease them.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Overhead camper cabinet made for vanity in new conversion.

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer
Ordered a new converter to replace the battery boiler, a battery monitor, and a wireless kit for my happia-jacs.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
got a couple things done. installed the power meter

I also got my battery watering system installed.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100