cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pushing your PUP around by hand

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
I started out with a Jayco PUP that was fairly light-weight with a 10 ft. box. After unhitching it, I was able to push it around in the garage on the smooth, level floor to position it where I needed to finesse it out of the way.

Well, fast forward to today with a PUP that is about 3,000 pounds instead of the 1,700 pounds of the previous unit and that task has become much harder to do, to the point I just about can't do it. I purchased a heavier duty tongue wheel to deal with the increased tongue weight over the included wheel as that was definitely not workable. Still, it was a major effort to move and navigate the PUP around.

However, I decided to take the wheel for the tongue jack apart and to lubricate every contact surface - the sleeve bearing and axle, the ball bearings, where the body pivots on the bolt, etc.

That was a major improvement in how it now works. Night vs. day. I have to actually pull back to stop the momentum now. Technically, I would say that it is easier to move this one around versus the first one, simply by liberally applying grease to the tongue wheel components. I did notice that the heavy duty wheel uses a large bolt to hold it together that allowed me access to the ball bearings and other surfaces and the standard duty wheel had a rivet holding it together, making access more difficult. I fear too many of the standard issue wheels are like the second one.

I finally picked up an old bathroom scale so I can weigh the tongue to see exactly what I'm dealing with. For some reason, the DW doesn't want me using the glass top digital bathroom scale from the house...???

So if you're one who is able or would like to be able to move your PUP by hand without using other methods, try lubricating the tongue jack wheel.

And I am still on the hunt for the rest of the components to make my own electric trailer mover. No rush now, though.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.
14 REPLIES 14

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
I used to use my lawn tractor to move our 2500# pup around the property. I could get that trailer just about anywhere. Watch the down hill grades though! (don't ask):B
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

ElBesoBlanco
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing your tip! I have been pondering a trailer dolly to move around in the shop!
Greetings from eastern Washington!
2012 Flagstaff T12SDTH (Hardsided Toyhauler Pop Up)

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
We used to move our pop up into its space by moving it by hand. But we recently bought a travel trailer that I can't back into its space with my truck because of space limitations and a huge tree. So, I got a wheel for the jack and build a stinger that I could hook to the truck and the trailer hitch. It's about four feet long. Now I back the trailer where I need the back end of it, then hook up the stinger and roll the front into place but positioning the truck at a better angle. There is no way I could have rolled the trailer by hand but the stinger lets me roll it with my truck.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

drae0814
Explorer
Explorer
Some times you have to move them by hand i had a three car garage and never could get it into the single side so would back into the double side of the garage then push it into place in the single side of the garage and i had the big 12ft box with 3000 + pounds but on a smooth serface it would roll pretty easy
enjoy life while you can:D

05 Dodge HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Dutchmen Colorado 5th wheel 37 ft

Not_Camping
Explorer
Explorer
It is amazing how someone can share a tip and get blasted for it. Talk about :h

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
bondebond wrote:
If you actually knew the situation I was dealing with, you might not speak so disparagingly.

Once it is in the shop, I move it over out of the way to make more open floor space for other projects. I put the rear of the PUP where it needs to be for the process before unhooking from the TV and then swing the front toward the wall and sometimes need to rock it forward and backwards to get it ever closer to the wall.

There's no possible way a TV could do what I do by hand but thanks for the suggestion. And I'd rather not jack it up to put it on wheel dollies every time so I can slide it sideways. It doesn't take a lot of work to accomplish this - 5 minutes at most. I would rather not have to add a wider door to the shop just so I could back it in right next to an exterior wall.

I am personally aware of people who rotate their PUP 180 degrees to be able to squeeze the PUP in their garage with the tongue pointed into an alcove. I do not think that would be possible with many things anything other than a PUP. I'm just trying to provide a friendly tip for those who do utilize the jack wheel.

With a high wall PUP and an axle flip, I pretty much have the same visibility issues as TTs. The roof of my PUP is taller than the roof of the TV. It is not as tall as a TT but I lost the ability to see over it from the rear view and side view mirrors as when I had a standard wall PUP. My choice, sure.

So, swinging back around, IF you are someone who actually can or wants to use the tongue jack wheel on your PUP, a little lubrication can make the job easier.

You seem to know all the pitfalls and what you are willing to do and are very firm on what you are not willing to do so? :?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have on occasions backed my off-road popup into the site at an angle and then using my trailer wheel attachment going ahead and pushing the trailer to fit sideways in the site. Gives me more room to park my truck when unhooked.

I always spot the trailer with the awning on the back side when I do this. Sort of gives us more privacy...

I will admit the provided wheel attachment is not the easiest to use on small gravel but I can move it without too much effort. I have laid down a small piece of plyboard or 2x12 jack boards under the wheel which helps.

Here at the house the trailer usually ends up where it stops rolling...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Oh the memories ... that was the nice feature about our PUP ... the ability to move it around by hand ... so easy! Then when we got our first TT with tandem wheels .... oh my achy back. It only took one attempt ... never again!

I like the idea of the old office chair on wheels. Cool idea!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Mine's a TT, not a PUP, but it's in the same weight class...

I totally understand the necessity to move the trailer around once it's in the shop. I took the chair part off an old office chair and stuck a ball on the base- those four rubber casters make it real easy to situate my trailer anyplace I want to.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

YamaDooed
Explorer
Explorer
Once you get your trailer in the garage put a set of wheel dollies on then you can move Any direction without pulling forward and backward.

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
If you actually knew the situation I was dealing with, you might not speak so disparagingly.

Once it is in the shop, I move it over out of the way to make more open floor space for other projects. I put the rear of the PUP where it needs to be for the process before unhooking from the TV and then swing the front toward the wall and sometimes need to rock it forward and backwards to get it ever closer to the wall.

There's no possible way a TV could do what I do by hand but thanks for the suggestion. And I'd rather not jack it up to put it on wheel dollies every time so I can slide it sideways. It doesn't take a lot of work to accomplish this - 5 minutes at most. I would rather not have to add a wider door to the shop just so I could back it in right next to an exterior wall.

I am personally aware of people who rotate their PUP 180 degrees to be able to squeeze the PUP in their garage with the tongue pointed into an alcove. I do not think that would be possible with many things anything other than a PUP. I'm just trying to provide a friendly tip for those who do utilize the jack wheel.

With a high wall PUP and an axle flip, I pretty much have the same visibility issues as TTs. The roof of my PUP is taller than the roof of the TV. It is not as tall as a TT but I lost the ability to see over it from the rear view and side view mirrors as when I had a standard wall PUP. My choice, sure.

So, swinging back around, IF you are someone who actually can or wants to use the tongue jack wheel on your PUP, a little lubrication can make the job easier.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
OR you could practice backing so you can place the trailer where it's needed with the tow vehicle. That's what nearly EVERYONE with a full sized trailer does. You'd at least have the advantage of visibility when backing and most of us don't have ๐Ÿ™‚
Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
I'll pass on those. I don't really want one even though I play around with the idea. I can't always take it with me and I am into the reduction of "stuff" to haul around. The jack wheel is fairly compact as far as that goes. And as mentioned, I would be making an electric, motorized version of that if I went that route.

Just the little bit of maintenance above has really put the desire for a trailer dolly to bed for now anyway, which was my intended purpose.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
And I am still on the hunt for the rest of the components to make my own electric trailer mover?

No. Just buy a trailer dolly. Hundreds of them to choose from including one that folds up so you can take it camping with you! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.