cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Purchasing First RV- would like some advice...

jeraco
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are starting to F/T RV life in spring 2020 and are looking to go ahead and get the rig now so we can play around, customize, and learn how to use it and drive it on some short weekend trips. In the backpack community, we call these "shakedown" hikes. ๐Ÿ™‚

This will be our first RV. It will be the two of us humans plus two canines (one large one small). We are avid tent campers so we plan to do a good bit of boondocking/off grid/off-road camping. I'm thinking BLM,National Forest, and state maintained campgrounds. (Perhaps after the first month or so, when I learn better what I'm doing)

Our short search has pulled us toward a late model, pre-owned unit to save $$$, but still have modern conveniences. The model we like best now is a 2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25KS for these reasons:
-4800 UVW
-higher quality finishes/build(?)
-large water tanks
-2 entry doors
-walk around queen bed (or murphy option)
- ability to access the unit with the slide closed
-small slide
-solar charge point
-not too large of a rig (??) for first time RV driver, but large enough to be comfortable
- Used units in great condition can be found for less than $20,000
-3+ season comfort (so says the salesman)

That's not all, but you get the idea. I'm not seeing much opinion about the MicroLites- anyone else have any experience with them? What else should I be considering? Any other brands you recommend? BTW, we are in the Southeast USA. Also, we will be using a 2016 Ford F-150 V6 4X4 Lariat as our vehicle (11,500 tow cap).

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you!
18 REPLIES 18

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
A Rockwood or Flagstaff is not going to stand up well to full time use, and IMO they fall into the category of better built trailers. I would not expect our Grand Design Solitude to hold up well to full time use, built very much the same from the same materials, components, furniture, you name it.

When buying a Rockwood / Flagstaff used, prior to the mid year changes in the 2018 production year they all had laminated floors. Believe me you don't want one of those laminated floors. There is a reason they changed them. They're like shooting c r a ps, some held up well, some failed miserably, and most ended up somewhere in between with sponginess and other issues.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
I love my micro lite and I tow with a similar truck see sig but there is no way I could fulltime in it. too small and not enough payload. also not comfortable below freezing without some major heating.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

jeraco
Explorer
Explorer
Our jump into RVing full time has to do with a combination of selling our home and my wife's job coming to a close. Rather than throw a bunch of money into another home, we are both ready for some change (and fun). It might not be forever, but it could get us 6 months or more down the line... We are looking forward and have started to get rid of our excess stuff, and WHOA BOY is there a lot of it!

Again thanks for all the great feedback everyone! This forum is very helpful!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Jumping right into fulltiming is quite a leap.
As I and others have found, the perfect RV for you will probably not be your first one. How you imgine living in it, will most likely NOT be how you really live in it.

And a rig suitable for full timing should have more robust construction which will make it heavier. Most TTs are not warrantied for FT use... There are reasons for that.
I won't discuss them now, as it would take too much time... But a short answer is to get a unit that the manufacturer will warranty for FT use.
You have a hiking and backpacking background and want to boondock with the TT in the forest. This is right up my alley as that is what we do.
Unlike backpacking, your TT REQUIRES a certain amount of power to be functionable.
It gets this from a battery, which has a finite capacity. Increasing the capacity is problematic due to cost/weight/space. So you NEED a way to recharge. Solar or generator are the options. I do not FT, but do routinely camp for over 3 weeks straight. I use generators. I have two Honda EU2000s. I usually only run one at a time, but I like having a backup. I once had a pullcord break on the first pull in camp. Since I had a backup, it was not a big deal.

As a FT, I would want solar as my primary, and a generator as my backup.
A fulltimer needs to have a power option for when the sun doesn't shine... The weekend campers will just head home in bad weather.. You can't do that as you will be home. So Solar and a generator will be needed.
As you can see, the weight is starting to add up. Most all fulltimers have a stout truck, and a heavy rig.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
The solar port will not support a very large solar array , but that would not be a deal killer !
Myself , having two doors would not appeal to me , just takes up space for something useful .
Staying small is correct , we went from 38 feet down to 20 feet and love the ability to drive like we are in a sports car .
Walk around bed is what I would want , we pull over and take a nap , no hassle !
Water tanks will not be large enuff no matter how large for boon docking , we carry a 35 gallon tank in bed of PU.
Good Luck

We went from a 30' to a 20'. I love the difference.
We spend a lot of time outside, so the inside is for sleeping and occasional rain.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the chassis road clearance, especially the sewer pipes hanging down, to avoid dragging or damage on rutted or rough dirt roads with quick ups and downs. On my 2019 Wolf Pup 16BHS, I have to clear my driveway onto the highway prior to installing my WDH load bars to avoid pipe damage and cannot use my factory folding rear rack for the same reason. Added to that, the spare tire is mounted to the rack and is supposed to be able to remain there with the rack down. THAT would definitely drag!
Look at propane tank and battery mounting capacity. Boondocking, you'll likely want two batteries and larger dual tanks, along with the quiet generator or solar to recharge batteries. Using the tow vehicle for that is very inefficient. You'll use the propane for hot water, refrigerator, and some cooking. Battery for lights and control circuits for the hot water and refrigerator.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just like your truck questions, seems like youโ€™re totally on track, with the right considerations being made/asked.
Second on the water tanks. Although unless youโ€™re living like hippies or taking sponge baths, if youโ€™re spending more than maybe a week boondocking, water will become scarce. However, youโ€™re not going to find a smaller lighter rig that packs hundreds of gallons of water, so maximize what you can get in tank size and then have a water hauling plan if youโ€™re off grid for longer than the water lasts. IMO, the whole point of ditching the tents and going to a camper is to have amenities and water/showers is high on most peopleโ€™s primary amentities list.
(Fwiw when we need to pack in extra water, I use one of my wakeboard boatโ€™s ballast sacks. Fits easily on the floor in the back seat or in the truck bed, hauls an extra 50gal)

The other thing not mentioned yet is trailer cargo/axle capacity. Especially, if f/t you may be packed heavier than average. Some /many TTs donโ€™t have a lot of headroom with spring and axle capacity. This would be a primary concern to vet out, as youโ€™ll want reliability and many miles of service as full timers .
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
After 2 or 3 seasons in whatever you choose to buy you will have enough experience to make a good decision based on experience. I pretty much guarantee that you will be ready for a different TT by then and you will find and purchase one that better suits you. Our current TT is our 4th over the past 20 year period. It meets our needs well.

You will also have a much better feel for the tow vehicle that keeps you happy. My philosophy is: โ€œBeing over-powered is way better than being under-powered.โ€ My first 15 years I towed with a half ton (F-150)...lots and lots of days creeping up mountain passes and fretting about my brakes descending the other side; the past 5 years with the 3/4 diesel in my signature...going up is easy and the compression brake takes away fretting coming down the back side. A much, much better towing experience. Powerful, safer, and less stress.

I learned as I went and upgraded when I could. It works for me.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

jeraco
Explorer
Explorer
I'll keep in mind the two vs. one door and murphy vs. bed options.

I assume the most common place to look for water damage is along the ceiling and floor/wall junctions. Thanks for that tidbit. Also, where does one find a reliable mobile home tech to make an inspection? I doubt a dealership would want to offer this service...(just google it, Jess!)

I'm going to open a new thread to discuss truck and towing- I think it deserves it's own...

Thanks for the input everyone. Definitely gives me some thoughts to ponder...Happy Holidays!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
A Murphy bed takes away from your front pass thru storage compartment, which in a small rig is a significant thing.

For boondocking, you'll want large tanks and extra battery capacity.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
Which V6 do you have in that truck? If it is the base non turbo, you don't have that high of a tow rating.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Spend enough time in the rig to pretend you are going on a trip and how the layout would work for you when stopping at a Rest Area, for example. Can you use the Galley and the Potti without opening slides? Just my $.03 adjusted for inflation.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Look for water leaks.

Look HARDER for water leaks.

LOOK EVEN HARDER FOR WATER LEAKS.

Add a 600 watt solar charging system and an appropriate battery bank. That may eliminate running a generator except for operating the roof air conditioner.

This link may help:

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œso Also, we will be using a 2016 Ford F-150 V6 4X4 Lariat as our vehicle (11,500 tow cap).โ€
Whatโ€™s the truckโ€™s payload? Probably be enough but PL is a better number for towing capacity after you subtract all the stuff and people in the truck.

โ€œsays the salesmanโ€ Disregard all the salesperson says.

As WanderingBob says, two doors are not necessary IMO, and takes lots of space.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad