cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Protecting your RV

jpainer
Explorer
Explorer
I am concerned that with the number of people in the campground there is bound to be some that will come to your RV to steal something. What are some tips, tricks and recommendations that people have used to protect themselves in campgrounds, truck stops and Wal-Mart parking lots. Please provide your crime horror stories so other RV'ers can be better prepared.
33 REPLIES 33

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
I will lol if the OP comes back with a link to some new security doohicky....

LOL....yeah his first post and no reply since 9-27-'18 and looks like a fishin' trip. Looks like he caught a good mess. :B
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
jpainer wrote:
What are some tips, tricks and recommendations that people have used to protect themselves in campgrounds, truck stops and Wal-Mart parking lots.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
In general I've found campers to be more courteous and less likely to take something than the general population. My folks, brothers and I have been camping since 1950. Between my folks and 3 brothers and I none of us has ever had anything taken from a campsite. Daughters InLaws have been camping since the 60's and did have one time when they lost some bacon out of the cooler.

Well, actually we have lost somethings, a few packages of peanuts or snacks more than once have had squirrels get into them.

We are reasonably carefull, but usually, chairs, coolers etc. are left outside day and night and never have had a problem. We do usually lock bikes up at night
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lock it when you're gone.
Don't leave chairs, grills, bikes unattended while you're gone.

That's about it...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I don't stay in Wal-mart parking lots or truck stops.
I don't leave my belongings out when I am not at my camp.

I stay in both all the time when I make trips with this rig. I've even stayed in some rest areas. It has a 63" semi sleeper on the front and I've been doing this since 07 without a single problem. It would be somewhere between 70 and 100 nights.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Yeah, he's gone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Other than some kids that took one of our twin's Trek bike at a 1000 Trails campground, but abandoned it close by cause we always remove the seat at night, never had anything stolen. Been all over since 1987. We take pre-cautions such as use a cheap cable lock around the bikes and equalizer hitch head and lock the door when we leave it and at night. Never lock the storage compartments nothing in there worth more than the door they would have to tear off to get in there. If someone would take our old grill (which I leave out) then I could negotiate a new one.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Dog or dogs first and if that don't work,Smith and Wesson does a great job of protecting life and limb.

Stay out of the high crime spots,period or take your medicine.

If 'ya snooze 'ya lose..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Interesting first post. ๐Ÿ™‚
Yep. I guess just looking to stir a pot.

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
Number one rule. If they do not know you have it they do not need it

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Never thought about having anything stolen in over 14 years of trailer camping.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Been camping for 65 years now and only remember one incident of thefts in a campground. Careful of teenagers came through looking for coolers full of beer. Only things taken were coolers, one of which only held a fishermanโ€™s catch of the day.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
EV2 wrote:
allen8106 wrote:
Still not sure what compelled them to stick a knife in my tire.

The beer from prior coolers.:S

Or they opened the cooler expecting Craft Brews only to find.....

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?