cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane smell

mattyj
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am Puzzled I removed the regulator and both horizontal lpg tanks and the camper still smells like propane! Does anybody know what could possibly be the cause of this? Thanks,Lou
2006 Ford F 350, 6.0 PSD 8 Foot Bed 4x4 with Torklift Tie downs ,Stable Loads ,rear Helwig Swaybar,airlifts 5000 , Method 305 HD rims . 2019 Adventurer 89 RBS, slideout, Generator
12 REPLIES 12

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I second or third or whatever the opening the windows and airing it out. But also turn on the stove burner and bleed out any remaining propane in the lines first.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
$1 for spray bottle
2 cents worth of liquid soap
Fill up 1/2 bottle with water, add 2-4 tablespoons of liquid soap and spray all the propane piping you can access - shaking the sprayer every minute.
Don't rush. Small leak can show bubbling a minute after spray.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Ever get propane on your hands?..It's tough to get rid of the smell even washing them..When I get a new to me RV,one of the first things I do is the soapy water on connections...There is also a pressure Guage that goes in the line to detect leaks..

Just guessing,if something was getting leaked on for quite a while it would have a propane smell for some time....Air out your TC really good and get someone with a fresh nose to hunt down the area that smells...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I would get a new propane warning detector and if it shows propane I would rush to a professional and not mess around with it.
Jayco-noslide

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
NEOK wrote:
The odorant put in propane so you can smell the gas is very strong and will tend to hang around anything it is close to such as your propane storage compartment.
In addition to the above , I have noticed the odor is stronger as the bottles are nearing empty . It could also be the remaining gas and odorant in the lines after removing the regulator .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
batteries burning up have a nasty smell.

mattyj
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
With reg and cyclinders completely removed the smell will go away ......some propane may leak from the open line from where reg connected to main lp piping.

Not sure why you removed the reg/cylinders but if leaving them out permanently then you should cap/plug the open line where reg was and another open line
. I Removed the regulator and the two tanks to try process of elimination because of the smell of propane, I will try airing everything out thanks
2006 Ford F 350, 6.0 PSD 8 Foot Bed 4x4 with Torklift Tie downs ,Stable Loads ,rear Helwig Swaybar,airlifts 5000 , Method 305 HD rims . 2019 Adventurer 89 RBS, slideout, Generator

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
With reg and cyclinders completely removed the smell will go away ......some propane may leak from the open line from where reg connected to main lp piping.

Not sure why you removed the reg/cylinders but if leaving them out permanently then you should cap/plug the open line where reg was and another open line
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I did a stupid last year. Thought i smelled propane when we stopped in Tucumcari after driving 600 miles. I could only smell it outside and at the rear of the trailer where there are no propane lines or anything so passed it off as maybe not propane or not our trailer. Stove and heater worked fine that night and didnt smell in the morning. Next day we head to Needles, Ca and our fuel stop was in Flagstaff where I smelled it again but this time at the front. I removed the tank cover and didnt see anything that looked loose or notice hissing or anything. We fueled up and headed to Needles and when we arrived I could smell it again. I knew there was no way we did not have a leak so took a big bottle of windex and laid under the trailer and found a fractured flare fitting right next to the leaf spring hangar. It was a copper flare where it joined a steel pipe heading to the to tongue. I figured somwhere before Tucumcari some road debris must of hit the pipe or the manufacture way over tightened it and it finally failed. Cost me at least 15 gallons of propane and had to drive home from Needles to San Diego with the genny running to keep the food cold/frozen.

Anyway if you smell propane you have a issue!
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Open all windows and vents, open cabinets ... turn all vent fans on for a couple hours overnight if its convenient. Then close it up for a few hours, or overnight. If it smells like gas again, you probably have a connection leak inside.

Lots of soap bubbles on every joint - watch for the bubbling. If that don't fix it, put plugs in the unit connectors and put a ten pound air test on it, and soap the joints again.

They sell test fluid, but it's not any better than bubbling dish soap, and costs more. Good luck.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
The odorant put in propane so you can smell the gas is very strong and will tend to hang around anything it is close to such as your propane storage compartment.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
BBQ grill in a compartment?
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags