cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pop Ups

macdale4
Explorer
Explorer
Asking for a friend. How do you deal with the wet canvas on a pop up? How long does it smell?
Dale & Eileen
1998 Lance 945 Legend
2011 Ford F-350, dually, 4 X 4
7 REPLIES 7

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dry it out religiously. I have a canvas wall tent that is over 40 years old. I always dry it out.

Pop ups are great in good weather. But they are too hot in the heat, too cold in the cold and too loud near traffic.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Only need a garage if the sun never shines. A couple extra days open in the rain isn't going to hurt it any more than the time it spent out in the rain where it got wet in the first place.

The important thing is to not leave it closed up wet any longer than you have to.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bedlam
When we had a tent trailer, a garage was mandatory so you could dry it out. It towed nice but had many negatives that took me back to hardsides with no regrets.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Edit. Google it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Got this from my 1986 manual for canvas.

IMPORTANT:

The canvas should never be stored wet for extended periods of time because it may mildew and lose its strength. If the canvas must be stored wet, set it out to dry as soon as possible.

Should mildew develop on your canvas or vinyl enclosure due to the necessity of closing the unit wet, the mildew can be removed in the following manner:

Mildew Solvent:

A simple but effective solvent to remove mildew from tents or other canvasโ€”like fabrics can be made using ordinary household items. In about eight ounces of water, dissolve two teaspoons of salt and two teaspoons of concentrated lemon juice. Wash the mildewed cloth with this solution, then rinse with fresh water. Let dry in open air before using.

The vinyl over the bed areas can be cleaned in the same manner as the canvas. When necessary, automobile convertible top cleaners can be used to remove stains.

IMPORTANT:

Follow the manufacturerโ€™s instructions carefully for use of such cleaners or damage to the vinyl surface could occur.

The use of insect repellents, hairsprays, and deodorants inside the camper when sprayed on the canvas surfaces will cause a breakdown of the water repellency of the fabric. We suggest, therefore, the very limited use of such sprays inside the unit during camping as damage to the canvas enclosure could result.

The zippers on your canvas can be lubricated by using a paraffin wax. The use of paraffin on the zippers will enhance their ease of operation around the canvas sections and windows.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't put it away wet. It's really that simple.

If Sunday morning comes along, and it's pouring rain, do what you have to do. Fold it up and drive home. JUST DON'T LEAVE IT FOLDED UP WET. Open it back up and let it dry out ASAP. Even if it's still raining, open it up.

It will smell forever if you let it stew.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
If your friend stores it under cover, raise the pop up and wait. Best to let it dry naturally. If it smells, he may already have a mold issue.

I would think about waterproofing the canvas (?) after it's dry.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)