cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pocket door stuck in wall

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
My bathroom pocket door is stuck in the wall. The rear wheel came off the track.
Is this repairable without taking the wall apart?
Has this happened to anyone here?
What was the cost to fix?

Thanks all for any assistance!
Paul
13 REPLIES 13

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06WRNGYXY/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1496239584&sr=8-6ฯ€=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=inspection+camera&dpPl=1&dpID=41lOj9zjY3L&ref=plSrch

Hopefully the link works. I searched Amazon for inspection camera. I am going to use it on my water heater to see if I can determine why the flame is different this year.

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested in the phone inspection camera. Tell us about it, please.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
Fixed!
I got an inspection camera to attach to my phone.
I was then able to see how to disconnect the front wheel. Then with the camera I could see how to line up the back one to the rail. Took 15 minutes.

Now to make a new stopper that won't fail again.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would do some googling for "RV sliding pocket door hardware" to see what you are dealing for some clues to fix it. I've installed pocket doors in houses but RVs aren't the same thing. It appears that the photos show a typical RV pocket door roller and has what seems to be a little catch thingy that you can swing to one side to release the rollers. The photos are RV Designer and there might be other brands/styles.

No idea how they install these things. Do they mount them first and then the plywood luan walls after? Could the track be held in by a hanger at the hidden end? If so, what if you removed the screws holding the track up where you can get to them? Maybe you could pull hard in a horizontal direction and if you break one or two rollers, you can just replace them?

Here is some info. on fixing an RV pocket door with these rollers: Instructables.com

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
I am truly pocket door challenged. I was trying to get a coat hanger to carry the back wheel and now it is completely jammed. It got caught in the front wheel.

I will work on it later.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You are probably already doing this but push up on the bottom of the door while pulling on the top to get the `roller' back into the track. However, my door has a glide that is rectangular in shape so if it gets sideways out of the track it will be almost impossible to get it aligned. You should be able to see what kind of `roller' by looking at the one you can see.
I would try disconnecting the close roller which would drop down the door which might allow it to be pulled out.
We reinforced the track that we could get to with extra screws and always travel with the door in the closed position.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
There should be some sort of stop on the door frame inside the pocket at the back of the pocket. This keeps the door from receeding into the pocket enough to have the wheel come off. This stop may just be a rubber bumper button. It may have fallen off (not a surprise on RVs). If you get the door back on the track, make sure it's now set up so it doesn't happen again.

Steve

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
I've found that the hooked rod used for manual awnings works great for lifting and pulling on both pocket door and that errant wheel that stays at the far end of the track. Finally learned that pocket door has to be locked in position before traveling.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
The rear wheel did come off the track. I can push the door further in but when it gets completely jammed when I try to pull the door out. The closest I am getting it is still 3 inches completely in the pocket.
I will keep working on it. Hopefully with more success.
I just don't know what it's jamming up on. Ugh.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If the rear wheel just came off the track, you should be able to work the door out of the pocket. And then rehang it.

Another not uncommon problem is that sometimes the screws holding the door track at the most inside part of the door will come loose from the ceiling and let the track (and door) drop down inside the pocket. This happens from the constant pounding that takes place while going down the road. That is more difficult as access to the pocket is very tight and hard to put the screws back in. Mine did that. My pocket door is behind my entry closet. And the entry closet has an access panel in the back wall. I was able to work a screw driver with magnetic screw tip holding a screw up thru the opening to put screws back in the track. Some with no other access have posted how they used a cordless drill with a very long home made extension to hold screws as they reached up thru the pocket opening to put the screws back in.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Our pocket door has fallen off a few times. I was able to slide it out, look at how the wheel attached to the track and get the other one reattached and locked to the track. Now it stays in place.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

rhochnadel
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to remove the door by taking off one of the trim pieces at the top. Once off the track you can make repairs and then reinstall the door onto the track and into the pocket. I did that with mine and the repair has lasted as long as the rv has.
'05 Keystone Challenger TPK
'01 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Corgi "Pippin" & cat "Sundance":)