cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plastic radiator crack, Burb

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Got a 94 K-1500 Suburban, only 144,000 miles but has developed an antifreeze leak via a 3" crack in the driver's side plastic rad side tank right around where the upper oil cooler line screws in. I can get a new rad for $185 from NAPA here in town, but have heard about plastic tank repair kits. Those things work and hold up? Is probably better to replace the radiator realizing that a failed patch wouldn't be good towing in the desert. Any thoughts, experiences with the patch kits?
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)
19 REPLIES 19

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I've been pretty happy with Rock Auto several times. I'd replace it if it were me. In fact, it was me a year ago.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Took all your advice, got a new radiator from NAPA, $179. Was easy to install as the General engineered the Suburban so you can get to all the hoses and bolts from the top, real important when you have a 4x4. NAPA has them in stock which was great since I wanted to get it done before the predicted snow storm hit. Just made it.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
One part of why my Sub has 180*F thermostat, Severe duty fan clutch, synthetics in everything and flush American Green Coolant on a two year cycle

Keeps it cooler than stock, but high enough to pass SMOG and get power mode most of the time

Careful on replacements. Make sure it is the same or better level.

'El Cheapo' has some with less rows, less numbers of tubes per row, less fins per tube, etc. Not as critical for a 5.7L small block vs the big block, which needs all the help in cooling it can get

Another careful is to blow out the engine oil and ATF coolers inside the radiator. Engine oil cooler is in the hot tank of the main radiator. ATF oil cooler is in the cold tank of the main radiator
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Our 96 Suburban did the same thing on the first long trip with our camper, going through the hills in PA.

Just kept it full until we got to our destination, then did a parts store run and swapped it at the campground fast enough that they didn't notice!

I wouldn't bother trying to fix the tank on anything you are planning to tow with, when you can get a new radiator for under $200. And I love cheap fixes!

Years of road trips with my dad taught me to always keep a toolbox in the truck.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
I would replace it with a new one for sure. Why chance it ? I have had to replace the radiator in all my older Chevy trucks.
Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

mkisamore
Explorer
Explorer
new radiator is the only choice, if you do a lot of boon docking then you might want to invest in J-B weld as a quick get you out of a jam fix it will work on plastic and other things including metal

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
It’s normal for the plastic tanks to crack with age and heat. They wil all donit eventually!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cheap insurance...Replace!

I would seriously considering replacing all of the cooling related parts while you have it apart. Not that much more work and the peace of mind would go along way. If it has a clutch fan I would recommend changing it too.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This ain’t the old days where you boil the radiator, braze up the holes and re install.
Radiators are cheap now, slap in a new one and call er done.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got a Vista-Pro replacement rad from Rock Auto when my 01 started leaking. I don't think they make all-aluminum for this application because you have oil cooler lines going thru the left side and trans cooler lines going through the right side.

*EDIT* They DO make an all-aluminum radiator that fits a 94 1500 burb, its $929 at Summit Racing. :E Now I remember why I didn't get one....

If you plan on keeping the truck now is a good time to replace all the hoses, t-stat, and rad cap. On the 01 the plastic overflow tank is pressurized as part of the system and ages out just like the radiator does, worth checking on your 94.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
The repair kits are best suited for people making a quick repair just to sell it. They usually don't last long.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a "Summit Racing" store near you, I've found them to be the best place to get radiators.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
seems almost all the radiators built in the last 30 years have gone to plastic caps. And seems like no matter who the mfg is, the life is somewhere around 100K miles or 10 years.

you've been lucky.

Fixes are a short term band aid. solution is a new radiator.

That's been my experience and virtually all my neighbors who keep vehicles very long.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Those patch/repair kits always seem to let you down at the wrong time.

Like the others said, fix it right.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"