cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Peak Blue Platinum DEF

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's a new DEF product that maybe worth trying.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
51 REPLIES 51

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
noteven wrote:
Welcome aboard our flight to Denver today.

Accounting has determined Aeroshell Turbine 560 oil is marketing hype and flim flam so today we are operating our Rolls Royce engines on Walmart 10w30...

Is that supposed to be funny?

I thought it was ๐Ÿ™‚ I prefer Mobil 254 turbine oil.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
noteven wrote:

Accounting has determined Aeroshell Turbine 560 oil is marketing hype and flim flam so today we are operating our Rolls Royce engines on Walmart 10w30...

Is that supposed to be funny?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
Same same, it is DEF. $20.00 for the same thing at sam's club for $11.00
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
No more DEF than I use in a year's time the small amount of money for the new and improved "Platinum" DEF is nothing and I will begin using it until proven otherwise.

I'd say you have that backwards, I'll begin using when they prove that it works not the other way around.............

Nope, I have it forward. I would rather use it and later find there is no benefit than to not use it and find the continued deposits required costly repairs to the emissions system.

To each his own.

Since all def made to meet the specified std has exactly the same omposition, dictated very specifically, it's not clear how this new DEF can be any different than any other that meets the spec. The mfg needs to get it certified to meet the ISO std. in order to license it as meeting the stds.

Now how the DEF injection works, that's another issue with each mfg having the system for injection.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
agesilaus wrote:
No more DEF than I use in a year's time the small amount of money for the new and improved "Platinum" DEF is nothing and I will begin using it until proven otherwise.

I'd say you have that backwards, I'll begin using when they prove that it works not the other way around.............

Nope, I have it forward. I would rather use it and later find there is no benefit than to not use it and find the continued deposits required costly repairs to the emissions system.

To each his own.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Frankly as a retired chemist I'd be more likely to believe this if they explained what miracle additive they are using. Otherwise it sounds like marketing BS. DEF is plain and simple 35% Urea

I'm with you, if there was some super special ingredient it would have to be cited in the SDS......and there is no mention of any components in the mixture other than 33% Urea and 67% water. There can be no additives that create the "Advanced System Shield" because by law they would have to appear in the SDS.

The ONLY thing that might make sense is if they have simply reduced impurities in the mixture :h I haven't seen an elemental analysis of DEF deposits, but I suppose it's possible if there are mineral salts present in cheap DEF that they could crystalize and build up over time. Or there could be a reaction with trace metals and the urea that occurs under heat that forms crystals. IF I had to guess I'd say the Platinum product just uses a higher purity water source like double distilled water instead of reverse osmosis water. Or, maybe they use a higher purity urea when making the DEF solution.

The description says "prevents future deposits" so if you already have chunks in your exhaust this new product will not dissolve them.

As for the production of urea, as you stated, it's a synthetic process and is described here: Urea Production Process
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II

I'd say you have that backwards, I'll begin using when they prove that it works not the other way around. I found plenty of links once I switched to SCR deposits both on Google and YouTube but they were almost all either scientific paers or major industrial users.
I worked at a power plant and we bought technical grade DEF by the tank truck load several times a week. It was 50% Urea the highest concentration that you can get that does not freeze at higher temps.
That was fed into a building sized SCR and that would build up deposits which were removed by steam cleaning.
But that was low purity DEF and the stuff we use is supposed to be higher purity and if it was a problemI would expect to find articles on the diesel truck forums, here, or on the diesel maintenance areas of YouTube but I don't see those.
So it does not seem to be a real problem.
Superbumper

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you take time to read thru the links I posted above, you will see that deposits from DEF into the SCR system is a long known problem. If the liquid atomized particles hit a hot surface and dry before they evaporate they will form deposits. And over time the build up of those deposits lead to problems of possible back pressure. And that would lead to reduced fuel economy. Those of you with chemical backgrounds may understand the whole process from reading the articles.

From the links above there are multiple mechanical attempts being tested to reduce those deposits. Obviously the new Peak DEF doesn't do anything to the mechanical aspects of the system. But somehow manipulating the chemical aspects of the DEF might increase the evaporation rate and reduce the deposits. Obviously a better DEF would be cheaper solution than a mechanical modification to the system.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
My local LOWES has regular Blue DEF for $12.98 and Platinum Blue DEF for $19.98 in the 2.5 Gallon box

Holy smacka-roonies !!!!! Think pump price for DEF last week was $1.99/gal where I get fuel.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walmart has DEF for $7, and it is the same stuff as the $13 DEF and probably the same as the $20 material. And so it would be $13 a bottle more not 'a couple of bucks" almost three times the $7 stuff.

As PT Barnum supposedly said: "There is a sucker born every minute." And that's when the population was much lower the rate is probably one every few seconds these days. Especially with the stupidification of the schools.
Superbumper

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
My local LOWES has regular Blue DEF for $12.98 and Platinum Blue DEF for $19.98 in the 2.5 Gallon box
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
It sounds good. I'm interested in learning what the cost will be and it would be nice if the shelf life was greater than the 18 months regular Blue DEF provides.

Shelf life? Fill at the truck stop $2.99 a gallon and always fresh, refill as needed.

That you get at the pump is never completely fresh. They just pour the new into the tank on top of the old and it all gets diluted. The old just keeps getting more diluted each time but never completely goes away. So you end up with multiple ages of DEF all mixed together.
Better or worse than the jug? Who can say?

The only places I've seen DEF at the pump are higher volume truck stops so it stands to reason they turn it over pretty quickly, and it would pretty heavily dilute the older stuff I'd think.

When it comes to DEF I'm all about convenience. Since Costco started carrying Peak Blue, that's mostly what I use because I'm there every week. I have no issues with Walmart or Pump DEF, though - it's all the same stuff.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
stickdog wrote:
Come on guys, you have $60, $70G invested in your tow what's $2.00 $3.00 more to protect your investment.

Good arithmetic only if it actually works. If it doesnโ€™t, it is still a waste of good money. And frankly, as a retired chemist, I, too, see zero cause to believe this is anything more than marketing hype.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Come on guys, you have $60, $70G invested in your tow what's $2.00 $3.00 more to protect your investment.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu