cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

part three of the broken frame saga.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
A nice finish to the over weighted broken axle saga. Not really about the broken framed truck but informative as heck. It's a good read.

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/is-the-eagle-cap-1165-too-big-and-heavy-for-a-one-ton-dually/
48 REPLIES 48

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bedlam wrote:
I carry about 600 lbs of AGM batteries that are free to me. My fresh water tank is about 65 gallons and always goes out full, so another 600 lbs. Air compressor and tools are 100 lbs, another 100 lbs of canopy, chairs and tables. I have not even tallied what is inside the camper yet...

thats twice I have seen air compressor what are you using that for? I have a little tiny one that weighs about 5 lbs to top up tires if I have to.

how many AH does that 600lbs of AGM give you. I imagin you could save a ton of weight just switching to LFP batteries. water weight is a little over estimated but only by about 60 lbs

so canopy chairs and tables, I am getting the impression you set up in a place and stay there for a while to make the hassel of seting all that up worth it. I only have a old hand crank awning on the once side of my camper so thats what I work with.. I have no storage for anything else haha my two lawn chairs go on the floor under the table and my paddel boards go on the dinet seat when I am traveling.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
mbloof wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
It is obvious all us camp differently. Some are happy wiith 500 lbs of gear while other campers are pushing 7000 lbs.

I have a 10.5 foot camper that weighs 2600lbs wet, and loard for camping I am right at 3000lbs.. I have a hard time understanding what people take to make it weight that much haha.. now my 5th wheel I probably do have 1500lbs of "stuff" but where would you put all that in a truck camper.

How much does a case of Beer weigh? ~1 per day per person over X days... 🙂 🙂

- Mark0.

Bahaha, I drink whisky mostly, I usaly have a case of beer and a few cases of pop and then a selection of whisky/scotch. but that weight goes down fast and you cant count it haha
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimK-NY wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
It is obvious all us camp differently. Some are happy wiith 500 lbs of gear while other campers are pushing 7000 lbs.

I have a 10.5 foot camper that weighs 2600lbs wet, and loard for camping I am right at 3000lbs.. I have a hard time understanding what people take to make it weight that much haha.. now my 5th wheel I probably do have 1500lbs of "stuff" but where would you put all that in a truck camper.

I can give you a list. Heaviest would be food. I travel usually for several weeks or months in remote areas and try to keep at least 2 weeks of food on hand. My foam mattress probably added 50# over the cheap OEM mattress. Next would be a generator and fuel, air compressor, tools, extension cords, bedding/blankets, pots/pans/plates/etc, camera gear, computer, travel guides and reading materials, 3 seasons worth of clothing, cleaning/laundry supplies, lawn chairs, folding table, water and sewer hoses, extra blankets, water pitcher with filters, toiletries, towels, small electric heater, 12v fan, cpap and DI water jug, black water chemicals, flashlights/lantern/batteries, day pack and hydration pack, water bottles, medications and emergency first aid kit, rope/cord/duct tape, levelling blocks..... I am sure there is a lot more but those are what I could think of quickly as I typed.

There are also a couple of heavy items I added as accessories including 2 solar panels and 2 very oversized AGM batteries. I would guess those added 300# by themselves. You also need to be sure that the accessories that came with the RV are also included in the wet weight specs from manufacturer. Mine left off some important items such as awning, A/C, microwave and several hundred more pounds for the "extended" over cab option to accommodate a north south mattress.

With all of that the two thousand plus wet weigh spec from the manufacturer topped out at over 4000# when loaded for travel and that does not include passengers.

ya I go for weeks and longer at a time, but I only carry a weeks worth of food at best as I know my tanks will fill up by then and I'll have to dump and I can get food when I go to do that, or if I am close to a place where I am camping I'll walk into town and shop and sightsee.

I only take two lawn chairs in the camper as it is usaly just me or the wife and myself, but I am looking for a small folding table.. just havent found one I like yet. I have no genny as I only have 12V so no 120 appliances either, the computer stays at home, but I do take my camera and my go pro stuff. Even when I get a new camper, if it has a generator, I will have it taken out and repourpose the space for storage.

Solar is all I need. plus that and the absence of gas is probably about a 300lb savings in weight on thoes built in gennys.

I got light weight dishes, I usaly have cloths for where I am going so some times three season but thats just adding a pair of hiking boots and a heavier jackteet to go from 2 to 3 season haha. and ya my camper is a 1991 so I don't even know if north south was invented then haha plus alumium siding and roof so that makes it lighter also. no ac no microwave, no tv, just a fridge, stove, furnace, wet bath, and water heater and only about 30 to 35 gal of fresh water. it is a big camper but surprisingly light.

I don't have a generator, but I do have two big CG2 Batteries and a large solar panel so about 200 lbs there, corection that is probably lighter now as I upgraded to LiFePO4 batteris last season and havent weighed it yet, but I can assume the old CG2 batteries were 80ish lbs each so 160 and the new one is about 46lbs so I shaved 114lbs off now. but I did buy two blow up paddle boards that I take with me now and that probably adds back a little over half the weight I lost with the battery change.

the new battery will give me a 10 day reserve if there is no solar power at all and I camp like normal.

and like you said it realy depends how you camp as to what you need, when I am in the 5th wheel I have all the toys, even the ice maker and margaritaville, 8 lawn chairs (zero g and director style) the big carpet for the pattio side tables and so on. with the camper I do more rustic camping in places I can get to, so I have my two lawn chairs if I need more I use a wood stump or a picknick table, I use the camp fire instead of the BBQ
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Bedlam
I carry about 600 lbs of AGM batteries that are free to me. My fresh water tank is about 65 gallons and always goes out full, so another 600 lbs. Air compressor and tools are 100 lbs, another 100 lbs of canopy, chairs and tables. I have not even tallied what is inside the camper yet...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Between beer, booze,mixers and hangover drinks (sports drinks, lol) I had to add 10psi to the ole Dodge airbags for a 10 day trip to the lake!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
Bedlam wrote:

How much does a case of Beer weigh? ~1 per day per person over X days... 🙂 🙂

- Mark0.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
StirCrazy wrote:
Bedlam wrote:

I can give you a list. Heaviest would be food. I travel usually for several weeks or months in remote areas and try to keep at least 2 weeks of food on hand. My foam mattress probably added 50# over the cheap OEM mattress. Next would be a generator and fuel, air compressor, tools, extension cords, bedding/blankets, pots/pans/plates/etc, camera gear, computer, travel guides and reading materials, 3 seasons worth of clothing, cleaning/laundry supplies, lawn chairs, folding table, water and sewer hoses, extra blankets, water pitcher with filters, toiletries, towels, small electric heater, 12v fan, cpap and DI water jug, black water chemicals, flashlights/lantern/batteries, day pack and hydration pack, water bottles, medications and emergency first aid kit, rope/cord/duct tape, levelling blocks..... I am sure there is a lot more but those are what I could think of quickly as I typed.

There are also a couple of heavy items I added as accessories including 2 solar panels and 2 very oversized AGM batteries. I would guess those added 300# by themselves. You also need to be sure that the accessories that came with the RV are also included in the wet weight specs from manufacturer. Mine left off some important items such as awning, A/C, microwave and several hundred more pounds for the "extended" over cab option to accommodate a north south mattress.

With all of that the two thousand plus wet weigh spec from the manufacturer topped out at over 4000# when loaded for travel and that does not include passengers.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bedlam wrote:

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:

There’s a reason that 10klbs is the magic point where commercial vehicles and combinations begin being regulated by the USDOT. And it’s because people who have to take 3 attempts to put their Prius into a normal parking spot and still can’t get it centered, shouldn’t have the right to just hop into a vehicle or combination weighing 5-20 tons and just drive by “braille.”

we have simular in BC. bit it on ly aplied to towed rv's, when you hit 10800lbs (or there abouts) you need to do a pretrip exam and a towing exame to get your house trailer endorsment on your licence to be able to tow that heavy. or you can go with the comercial heavy tow endorsment or class 1 covers it also. a lot of places don't have that though.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
No one should be telling you one method is better than the other.

Of course, that's not what the "deleted" posts were about.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Ahhh the age old questions that nobody ever seems to agree on:

What is a road?
What is 'off road'?
What is a 'jeep trail'?

Roads come in many flavors. Everything from very smooth paved interstate highways to secondary roads (with and without potholes) to well/not groomed gravel (with and without potholes) to flat dirt to uneven/rutted and potholed dirt.

My personal dividing line is that if it is on a ROAD MAP (or USGS map) I call it a road. If not, it must be something else.

IMHO that OEM trucks are simply NOT designed to be hauling +4KLBS down jeep trails and creek beds.

Of course that does not stop anyone from doing it.

- Mark0.

Bedlam
It is obvious all us camp differently. Some are happy wiith 500 lbs of gear while other campers are pushing 7000 lbs. You need to know how much you are carrying and adjust what you carry or change vehicles to do it safely. No one should be telling you one method is better than the other. Keep conversation civil or you will put this thread into lock.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
jimh406 wrote:
I'm not sure what you are thinking is offload. My truck/tc has been on gravel/dirt roads and forest service roads. The real off-road trailers that I've seen that look durable aren't cheap either.

I still have the option to tow, and fit in a single parking space for the most part. I also can take the TC off and use it as a truck. No vehicle with TT can also tow and fit in a parking space. Of course, a TC can also turnaround where almost no TT and vehicle could.

For "real" off-road, I think you are moving into SUV/truck with rooftop tent or lighter popup, but then, the onroad "camping" experience is degraded.

We've been on dirt roads with travel trailer and 5er. Generally avoid forest roads unless familiar more due to branches rather then 4x4ing. Wouldn't change with a monster 13ft tall truck camper.

As you indicated a small pop-up camper makes more sense is going truly into the back country.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RICKIM
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog on 03/14/23 12 wrote:
What’s funny is how all this is “news” to so many, especially those who are into the TC thing and profess some decent level of comprehension.
RVing is one of those basically unregulated industries where folks who have no business getting behind the wheel of something that isn’t just a normal passenger vehicle have free reign to be as dumb as their pocketbook or credit score allows.
There’s a reason that 10klbs is the magic point where commercial vehicles and combinations begin being regulated by the USDOT. And it’s because people who have to take 3 attempts to put their Prius into a normal parking spot and still can’t get it centered, shouldn’t have the right to just hop into a vehicle or combination weighing 5-20 tons and just drive by “braille.”

:B :B….I couldn’t have said it better myself!….Stay safe out there everyone!
2018 AF1140DB, 400W solar, Trimetric, Lifeline GPL-31XT’s, rear deck,
2019 5500 Ram Crew, DRW, 6.7L-CTD, Custom TC bed, on board air, Front Rack

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Problem is some people think a 1 ton dually can do anything even if a camper (or whatever) manuf says it won’t! Sad that they have to be the ones to fix it for the people that don’t get it! But still good for them.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!